News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 423     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Anyone know what's going on at Kipling Station at the bus bay level? All of the south windows have been cordoned off with drywall. I believe I read on here once that when the station was constructed, that area was structured to be a possible platform for a future RT, like Kennedy station has. Obviously that never came to light and nothing has been planned for something like that for the near future. So what are they doing? Removing windows and making a solid wall instead?

Anyone know what's going on at Kipling Station at the bus bay level? All of the south windows have been cordoned off with drywall. I believe I read on here once that when the station was constructed, that area was structured to be a possible platform for a future RT, like Kennedy station has. Obviously that never came to light and nothing has been planned for something like that for the near future. So what are they doing? Removing windows and making a solid wall instead?
It might have something to do with this:
Kipling Station - roof repairs and station improvements
January 8 to April 30, 2018 - night work between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m.
Work Description and Purpose
Crews are repairing sections of Kipling Station which are in poor condition including, sections of the roof, glazing and metal frames which support the glazing. The work is being completed as part of TTC’s capital improvements across the network. For safety reasons, some of the work must be completed at night while buses are not operating in the loop.

Area residents may hear construction noise including, reverse safety beeps from trucks, delivery and removal of disposal bins, as well as delivery of construction material.

Work hours
The majority of the work on this project is taking place weekdays between 7 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. as well as some weekends. The contractor has secured a noise exemption permit to allow activities outside of these hours.

Thank you for your patience as we continue to improve transit in Toronto.

I'm having trouble picturing how such a "gate" on QQ could look. Do they mean a mechanical bollard, or is this an actual gate? I'm guessing a gate, because a bollard could cause some injury to anyone driving into it. Then again so could a gate, and it'd get mangled and require a line shutdown to replace it.

tunnel.jpg

Attachments

• tunnel.jpg
    tunnel.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 262
On Line 1 University today at 10:30 pm it took me over an hour to get from Union to Wilson where the train went out of service and everyone had to board the following one. In conversations with friends and family I often defend the TTC, but it was f*****g aggravating crawling from Dupont to Wilson.

On Line 1 University today at 10:30 pm it took me over an hour to get from Union to Wilson where the train went out of service and everyone had to board the following one. In conversations with friends and family I often defend the TTC, but it was f*****g aggravating crawling from Dupont to Wilson.

Yeah, I was really looking forward to the TYSSE opening because some of my travel patterns fit the new stations very well. But train service is so slow and outrageously unreliable north of St George. I have waited 20-30 minutes for a southbound train on the TYSSE on 2 occasions, can't remember that ever happening on the main network before. As a result I took the TYSSE quite a bit in the first month but have stopped almost completely. Extremely disappointing. And then the City and Province say that we need to get people out of their cars onto transit...good luck with that.

I couldn't agree more, I thought it was just me but I've been noticing that during the rush hour service has been laughable north of St.George. While waiting at St.George I frequently notice 3-4 trains pass by southbound, while northbound one i forced to wait up to 8 minutes before *any* train shows up. The key word is any, because no one knows if that train will actually run all the way to VMC. And it's not just on the university side where this kind of nonsense happens. On the Yonge Line, one can wait up to 8-10 minutes before a train southbound actually shows up during the rush hour. This kind of stuff rarely happened prior to the extension.

Then we have the same political bozos who come up with the fabulous every day of extending the line further, and further out. The YUS line is too damn long for its own good, and there comes a point in time where common sense has to come into play. I should note that other parts of the world don't have problems operating long subway lines, or long lines in general but the TTC seems to be the exception. They have trouble managing anything that's long. We see this with the 501 streetcar route, 52 Lawrence West bus route, and various other routes as well. Line management is absolutely horrid at the TTC and it's the management twiddling their thumbs at transit control who are the big culprit.

I couldn't agree more, I thought it was just me but I've been noticing that during the rush hour service has been laughable north of St.George. While waiting at St.George I frequently notice 3-4 trains pass by southbound, while northbound one i forced to wait up to 8 minutes before *any* train shows up. The key word is any, because no one knows if that train will actually run all the way to VMC. And it's not just on the university side where this kind of nonsense happens. On the Yonge Line, one can wait up to 8-10 minutes before a train southbound actually shows up during the rush hour. This kind of stuff rarely happened prior to the extension.

Then we have the same political bozos who come up with the fabulous every day of extending the line further, and further out. The YUS line is too damn long for its own good, and there comes a point in time where common sense has to come into play. I should note that other parts of the world don't have problems operating long subway lines, or long lines in general but the TTC seems to be the exception. They have trouble managing anything that's long. We see this with the 501 streetcar route, 52 Lawrence West bus route, and various other routes as well. Line management is absolutely horrid at the TTC and it's the management twiddling their thumbs at transit control who are the big culprit.

The TTC has problem managing anything longer than the 126 Christle. The can't manage the 90 Vaughan Rd. Anything longer than that could be problematic.

For something like the 52 Lawerence West or 60 Steeles West. They should just pull a few buses and put them on standby on different parts of the route. Have them run in service to fill gaps. Then pull a bunched vehicle to place on standby afterwards.

Should be remembered that the Line 1 is short-turned at Glencairn Station during the morning rush. Every other train is goes out-of-service at Glencairn northbound, moved into the tail track, and goes back into service for southbound at Glencairn.

I couldn't agree more, I thought it was just me but I've been noticing that during the rush hour service has been laughable north of St.George. While waiting at St.George I frequently notice 3-4 trains pass by southbound, while northbound one i forced to wait up to 8 minutes before *any* train shows up. The key word is any, because no one knows if that train will actually run all the way to VMC. And it's not just on the university side where this kind of nonsense happens.

This is probably just a perceived problem. It's impossible for large gaps to consistently happen throughout the rush hour like you're describing - for those 3-4 trains to pass by southbound, they have to have passed by northbound first (and like someone else pointed out, at St George half of them would've passed by 10-15 minutes earlier). Unexpected delays farther up the line would create gaps, but those wouldn't be happening every single day at the exact same time and the extension wouldn't have made a difference.

On the Yonge Line, one can wait up to 8-10 minutes before a train southbound actually shows up during the rush hour.

As someone who lives on the Yonge Line, this is a lie. In the time I've lived here, the longest I've waited is maybe 8 minutes, and that was late at night. You never wait more than 3 minutes during rush hour.

Also from approximately 10 am to 11:30 am almost every other train goes out of service at Wilson as these are the additional rush hour trains. This results in significant delays on the Spadina line as each train that goes out of service has to have the operators go through the trains making sure everyone got off, then they have to wait for the signal to clear to cross over the northbound track and enter the Wilson Yard. I commute to York U during this time and it takes me usually 40-50 minutes to go from St.George to York University. The schedule states that it should only take 30 minutes. I find this completely ridiculous because I see trains going out of service on the Bloor-Danforth line at Kennedy Station with no impact on travel time. When I eventually get to York U station the next arrival times show gaps of 7-10 minutes between trains. The TTC has to come up with a better way of removing these additional trains out of service as the headways on this portion of the line are really bad. Just a tip to note: If your on the Spadina line check the sign in the front of the train to see whether its going to Wilson or Vaughan. I always sort of laugh when I see almost all the York U students just blindly get on the Wilson train. If the train is already in the station when u get there check the map above the doors, if the stations beyond Wilson arent colored red then that train isn't going to Vaughan. Wilson Station is an outdoor station and can get really cold so its preferable to just wait for the Vaughan train at St.George station. Yesterday I ended up waiting for 11 minutes at St.George Station for a Vaughan train.

This is probably just a perceived problem. It's impossible for large gaps to consistently happen throughout the rush hour like you're describing - for those 3-4 trains to pass by southbound, they have to have passed by northbound first (and like someone else pointed out, at St George half of them would've passed by 10-15 minutes earlier). Unexpected delays farther up the line would create gaps, but those wouldn't be happening every single day at the exact same time and the extension wouldn't have made a difference.

No, he's right. The service has been quite regularly terrible in the late evenings for the past couple of months because of tie-ups with the run-in trains. It hasn't been every day thankfully, but certainly more often than not.

A friend of mine was operating last night, and it took him 40 minutes to go from Glencairn to Sheppard West. And that's not his record.

It's hoped that the changes being made in the upcoming board periods will help, but I also found out recently that for the May board that they are continuing to have some trains run-in northbound. Thankfully not all of them, but by the sounds of it more than many think should be.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back