News   Jul 12, 2024
 337     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 425     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 255     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The TTC should consider making a change in the optional 60 Flexities. Make them double-ended vehicles. Then we can add crossover tracks at major intersections to allow for on-street short turns.

That sounds like a better idea then the current idea of short-turning. Trouble is, track guage for double ended vehicles ?

The TTC should consider making a change in the optional 60 Flexities. Make them double-ended vehicles. Then we can add crossover tracks at major intersections to allow for on-street short turns.
Really???....................I have being saying that from day one when talk surface for the new fleet, but the lost of seats, extra cab and doors kill that idea.

That sounds like a better idea then the current idea of short-turning. Trouble is, track guage for double ended vehicles ?

Not the Flexity Freedom, which would be used for the suburban light rail lines, but a double-ended Flexity Outlook. Same track gauge as the current Outlooks, but maybe even longer. They use double-ended Flexity Outlooks in Europe already.

Not the Flexity Freedom, which would be used for the suburban light rail lines, but a double-ended Flexity Outlook. Same track gauge as the current Outlooks, but maybe even longer. They use double-ended Flexity Outlooks in Europe already.

Now, would the crossovers interfere with traffic ? Driving is bad anyways.

The ALRVs are now restricted to weekday rush hour service on 501, with today's service changes. There was supposed to be 5 ALRVs in rush hour service, but only 4204, 4229 and 4230 were out this morning. Then again, they might be substituting those 2 ALRVs with CLRVs.

Two years ago, the CLRV and ALRV fleet was "decimated" by extreme cold.

See link from December, 2017.

This week's bone-chilling temperatures, which dropped to a record-breaking -22 C on Thursday morning, aren't just bad for human bodies. They're bad for transit vehicles, too.

Almost an entire third of Toronto's old streetcars were unable to leave the yard yesterday, according to the TTC, because of – you guessed it – extreme cold weather.

The Globe reports that 45 of the 140 remaining "legacy streetcars" still operating in Toronto broke down yesterday morning, forcing the transit agency to send out buses along the 505 Dundas and 506 Carlton routes.

According to the Globe and Mail, the problems appear to stem from issues with the sanding systems and pneumatics that control the doors on older cars, which have long struggled with winter.

At over 30 years old, most of the older streetcars simply aren't equipped to handle this type of sustained cold weather.

TTC spokesperson Stuart Green said that mechanics are working to repair the cars for next week, when ridership is expected to increase post-holidays...

Likely, for this year, the CLRV and ALVR's will be kept indoors during any cold snap.

Two years ago, the CLRV and ALRV fleet was "decimated" by extreme cold.

See link from December, 2017.

Likely, for this year, the CLRV and ALVR's will be kept indoors during any cold snap.

The CLRVs will have to be pushed out in order to provide enough capacity for 501/506. The ALRVs, would just not go out... Read above ^

Today, only 4229 managed to make it out for AM rush, a 32xx Nova had to bridge the gap, I believe. At the rate that they are going, the ALRVs will be gone by December.

Also, this is of interest when it comes to the streetcar fleet :

The current peak service on low floor routes is King (42), Spadina (14), Harbourfront (7), St. Clair (19) for a total of 82 plus spares for a total of about 100.
Streetcar service on the remaining routes (based or current or recent CLRV/ALRV schedules) requires: Queen (42), Downtowner/KRT (17), Carlton (32), Bathurst (9), Dundas (18) for a total of 118 plus spares giving about 140.

Last edited:
4229 and 4249 made it out for AM rush today.

You've already been told to stop posting this type of stuff here.

PLEASE, PLEASE, stop. This isn't the type of forum for bus sightings. GO to CPTDB. You've already been asked to stop before and had a thread closed.

I come here specifically because I want to get away from the nonsense (for me anyways) that is posted at that other forum and have actual conversations about transit.

Anyways, while we are on the topic of the CLRVs/ALRVs, does anyone think 4002 will be perserved, as the TTC is hoping, it is at Hillcrest as I speak, and not to mention I rode a few weeks along Queensway ROW, and boy, is it well maintained vehicle. And, this isn't a sighting, because it might be preserved.

Last edited:
Anyways, while we are on the topic of the CLRVs/ALRVs, does anyone think 4002 will be perserved, as the TTC is hoping, it is at Hillcrest as I speak, and not to mention I rode a few weeks along Queensway ROW, and boy, is it well maintained vehicle. And, this isn't a sighting, because it might be preserved.

Given it was the first one delivered, I'd hope it would be preserved for the TTC, joining 2766 (Peter Witt) and 4500/4549 (PCC).

It has been reported repeatedly that TTC is sensitive to preservation concerns and intends to make one or more cars available. Personally I don't care to debate which cars get preserved. One might want to examine the body condition before landing on a specific unit, no matter what the relative merit of the units available.

But a more general question that I don't know the answer to.... how does TTC dispose of its vehicles? Is there a periodic tender? Presumably scrap dealers make offers and they go to the highest bidder? Is this a standing bid for all verhicles retired over a period of time, or unit by unit?

Is there a known typical scrap price that applies to CLRV and ALRV retirees? If someone had the cash and cared to go shopping, perhaps for a museum donation, or even (as happened with the PCC's) to procure a chicken coop - will TTC assist?

(Does TTC give Air Miles?)

- Paul

It has been reported repeatedly that TTC is sensitive to preservation concerns and intends to make one or more cars available. Personally I don't care to debate which cars get preserved. One might want to examine the body condition before landing on a specific unit, no matter what the relative merit of the units available.

But a more general question that I don't know the answer to.... how does TTC dispose of its vehicles? Is there a periodic tender? Presumably scrap dealers make offers and they go to the highest bidder? Is this a standing bid for all verhicles retired over a period of time, or unit by unit?

Is there a known typical scrap price that applies to CLRV and ALRV retirees? If someone had the cash and cared to go shopping, perhaps for a museum donation, or even (as happened with the PCC's) to procure a chicken coop - will TTC assist?

(Does TTC give Air Miles?)

- Paul
One sometimes sees references to disposal of older vehicles discussed at TTC Board. Often because some are being donated to a charity or suchlike. They also issue tenders such as this one from 2014 (on MERX) SALE & REMOVAL OF 109 ORION V SURPLUS DECOMMISSIONED BUSES Proposal No. Z08BT14105

This is why I think if we were to have a Toronto Museum, Old City Hall may not be the best place. It needs to be a big facility that can showcase large items like vehicles/trains.

Back