News   Jul 12, 2024
 501     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 518     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 274     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

From: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...way-cars-in-delivery-bombardier.3338/page-192

Summary: The TTC is in the process of modernizing its subway operations. In line with the modernization, the TTC’s Five Year Corporate Plan includes the implementation of One Person Train Operation (OPTO). OPTO will be implemented on all subway lines, except Line 3 Scarborough Rapid Transit where this technology is already fully operational.
OPTO will be piloted on Line 4 with four car Toronto Rocket (TR) trains. The subway car operator cabs will require installation of a Train Door Monitoring (TDM) System to allow the operator to have a clear view of the platform and car doors from their seat, and relocation and modification of the door control system to allow the operator to safely open and close the doors. Engineering design is required for modifications to the TR train to facilitate the associated work.
Upon successful completion of the pilot project, the OPTO program will then expand to the remaining TR trains operating on Line 1. Following Line 1 installation, work will begin on Line 2 and the T1 trains.
A Change Directive to Bombardier Transportation Canada Inc. (Bombardier) in the amount of $2,734,822.98, including taxes is required for the engineering design to facilitate the changes to the TR train.
Line 4 Sheppard Line was selected as the pilot for the OPTO concept because there are only 4 trains operating during customer service hours.

Now that's very interesting in light of a purported 'expert' in this string making contradictory claims on OPTO ready TRs or not.

Same link as at top:
1546144427308.png

The 'mirrored window' is also discussed in that string at the page in the link above, which is how I discovered it by Googling. Searching doesn't easily reveal any justification for the 'Big Brother is Watching' window. The mindset is classic TTC and Metrolinx. How dare you ask questions!

To update the situ on OPTO since the 2014 references quoted prior, albeit there might be developments since this. I'll continue searching:
TTC forging ahead with one-operator subway trains
By BEN SPURRTransportation Reporter
Sun., Oct. 2, 2016

The TTC is going ahead with plans to eliminate guards on its subway trains despite claims from the transit agency’s union that the decision will compromise passenger safety.
Since the TTC’s first underground line opened in 1954,the transit agency has operated all of its trains with two-person crews: an operator who drives the vehicle, and a guard who’s responsible for opening and closing the doors and ensuring passengers are clear of the train when it departs.

But starting Sunday, Oct. 9 trains on Line 4 (Sheppard) — the TTC’s least-used line — will be converted to one-person train operation (OPTO). The transit commission plans to convert trains on its busiest subway, Line 1 (Yonge-University-Spadina), by around 2019.
One-person operation is used by transit agencies around the world and on the TTC’s own Scarborough RT, but Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113 claims it’s unsafe and opposed by the public. In a Sept. 28 news release, union president Bob Kinnear went so far as to raise the spectre of terrorist attacks against trains without guards.
“(TTC CEO) Andy Byford holds up London and Madrid as examples of cities with one-person operation but obviously forgot that hundreds of people were killed and thousands injured by terrorist attacks on those two cities’ transit systems,” he said.
“TTC management tells employees: ‘If you see something, say something,’ then cuts the people who could see that something. It makes no sense.”

The union also cited a poll it commissioned that found 66 per cent of respondents opposed removing the guards. However, a plurality of respondents (33 per cent) to the Mainstreet Research poll said they believed the primary reason for having a guard on the train was to respond to medical emergencies or fights, which the TTC says is not the guards’ responsibility.
TTC spokesperson Brad Ross called Kinnear’s comments about terrorist attacks “alarmist and uninformed” and said that having single operators wouldn’t endanger TTC customers.
Ross said the number of “eyes and ears” on the subway system will be increased under the TTC’s new staffing model, which will deploy more employees to common areas of subway stations.
He added that switching to OPTO will make subways safer by reducing the number of incidents in which inattentive guards open doors before the train has fully pulled into the station. Making the subway operator responsible for both stopping the train and opening the doors makes such mistakes less likely, Ross said.

“We know that this is a safer way of operating and a more efficient way of operating. Transit systems around the world have been doing this for a long time,” he stated.
“It is a proven, safe technology that the TTC as a modern transit organization must begin to adopt.”
The TTC plans to spend $62.3 million on modifications to platforms and trains that will allow drivers to operate the doors and monitor them via CCTV cameras. But the investment will pay off quickly, because cutting the number of subway workers on Line 4 from 30 to 19, and on Line 1 from 359 to 190, will save the transit commission about $18.6 million annually. The guards make an average of $103,400 a year, including fringe benefits.
Ross said that there will be no job losses because the guard positions will be eliminated through attrition.
The TTC eventually plans to convert Line 2 (Bloor-Danforth) to single-person operation, but the T1 trains that run on that line are much older than the Toronto Rocket models operating on Lines 1 and 4. The T1 models will reach the end of their service life within the next 10 years, and Ross said it wouldn’t be cost-effective to retrofit them with OPTO systems now.
Going solo
The TTC is a late arrival to one-person subway operation. Other systems have been using one-person crews for decades, and some even have driverless trains.
[...article continues with list of major world systems using OPTO...]
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/10/02/ttc-forging-ahead-with-one-operator-subway-trains.html

Next they'll demand that all the elevators be manned at all times!!!
There's certainly a case to be made for staffing, this has never been contested by the TTC or other transit orgs moving to OPTO and/or semi-automatic operation, and some actually claim *safer* operation with just a mobile staff member on-board who also oversees door openings and closings in lieu of a single driver.

To be clear, this is a separate albeit germane topic from being able to see out the front and back of a train, which with even a full width cab, there's no reason to block visual sightlines through the front or back of the train. There is actually less space needed in modern trains for control and safety equipment, and if an operator is used in a modern semi-automatic train, they don't need to leave their seat at all as monitor screens are present either in the cab, or adjacent to the cab on the platform such that movement to the other side of the cab is not only unnecessary in normal circumstances, it's non-indicated.

Example:
Our solution
We have designed and implemented a microwave-based system – the first of its kind to be deployed in the UK – to meet London Underground’s need for improved passenger safety. This equipment takes images from up to eight high-quality CCTV cameras on each platform and, using sophisticated video processors, transmits a combined view of the train’s exterior to the driver’s cab via a microwave radio link. This allows drivers to see every door on their train, regardless of whether the platform is straight or curved.
https://telent.com/news-media/case-studies/london-undergrounds-microwave-opo

"OPTO" is referred to as "OPO" in some nations.

The TTC is in the midst of yet ever more discussion on the need for passenger safety on platforms after yesterday's attempted stabbing at Summerhill and the comments from Toronto Police on the rash of incidents of late on the subway. https://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/12/30/man-arrested-after-attempted-stabbing-at-summerhill-station/
This was why I put the 'suicide' comment of another poster in a perspective that was unfortunately lost on some. Toronto is no longer the innocent, safe, courteous place it used to be. But I digress, there'll be a lot more discussion of that upcoming.

From a Freedom of Information request:
FOI request detail
Health and safety assessment report on driver-only operated tube trains.

Request ID: FOI-0754-1718
Date published: 25 July 2017

[...]
London Underground began converting to one person operation (OPO) in 1984 and all lines had been converted to OPO by 2000 with the Northern line being the last line to do so. As part of this system, the Train Operator must be able to see the whole train to ensure it is safe to depart. Where this is not possible additional safety measures are put in place. We have clear rules to ensure the safe dispatch of trains (outlined in LU Rule Books) and staff receive regular training on these and their roles and responsibilities. Some of these controls are set out below.

There are two platform categorisations on the LU network - categories A & B. A platform where the train operator can see the entire length of the platform by looking back from any part of the cab when berthed correctly (category ‘B’), or where the train operator cannot see the entire length of the platform (category ‘A’) (this might be because the platform is on the opposite side to the Train Operator’s driving position, the platform is curved or there are obstructions to the line of vision (e.g. pillars, signs, etc.).

Monitors are placed at the head of the platform or in the Train Cab to enable the Train Operator to see the entire length of the platform. If the monitoring equipment on a category ‘A’ platform becomes defective, competent staff are required to assist the Train Operator in completing platform duties and the safe dispatch of the train from the platform. This is a safety critical procedure as the staff are effectively ensuring that the Platform Train Interface is clear in that area that the Train Operator has no view of due to the defective equipment and it is safe for the Train Operator to close their doors and depart. If no staff can be made available to do this, the platform must be closed and trains will non-stop through the station until the defect is repaired. Where a train develops a defect with in-cab CCTV equipment/monitors, the train is taken out of customer service and returned to depot.

Platform-based mirrors and monitors are checked daily before the start of traffic to ensure they remain fit for purpose. Test markers are located on the platform to assist staff to ensure these are correctly aligned and clear. Where these checks fail, staff are placed on the platform as required and the fault is reported. Where in-cab CCTV exists, a daily check of the equipment is undertaken during the traffic day to ensure the platform based cameras remain correctly aligned, clear and unobstructed. [...]
https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/transp.../foi-request-detail?referenceId=FOI-0754-1718

Last edited:
Since I am no longer allowed to talk about this in the Flexity thread, and certain users suggest I talk about here, will. Flexities will start to appear on 501 in weekday service on Monday as per January Board changes, replacing CLRVs 1 for 1, and any trace of the ALRVs ( aside from 5 during rush hours ), is being pulled from the air waves. But, already, 4425 and 4503 are on 501 today, so maybe TTC is ahead of things..

Last edited:
Since I am no longer allowed to talk about this in the Flexity thread, and certain users suggest I talk about here, will. Flexities will start to appear on 501 in weekday service on Monday as per January Board changes ...
I don't recall anyone objecting to discussions of how routes are being switched over from CLRV/ALRV to Flexity in the Flexity thread. In fact, wasn't this already discussed there around December 10, when Steve Munro published the article with this information?

I don't mean this is a criticism, but have you seen the sightings threads at the CPTDB forum in https://cptdb.ca/forum/25-sightings-for-greater-toronto-area/ - in particular https://cptdb.ca/topic/16485-bombardier-flexity-deliveries/ and https://cptdb.ca/topic/10-todays-sightings/ ? I just wanted to mention them, in case you weren't aware, as they may be of interest to you.

I hope so. But that is still quite far off, considering the last 7 are to retire in 2020, along with Alex Trebek
I doubt TTC will be running them that long. Sometimes they say 2020. Sometimes they say 2019. I don't personally think they'll bother scheduling them after 501 is completely converted - which hopefully will happen by the time Spring ends.

I don't recall anyone objecting to discussions of how routes are being switched over from CLRV/ALRV to Flexity in the Flexity thread. In fact, wasn't this already discussed there around December 10, when Steve Munro published the article with this information?

I don't mean this is a criticism, but have you seen the sightings threads at the CPTDB forum in https://cptdb.ca/forum/25-sightings-for-greater-toronto-area/ - in particular https://cptdb.ca/topic/16485-bombardier-flexity-deliveries/ and https://cptdb.ca/topic/10-todays-sightings/ ? I just wanted to mention them, in case you weren't aware, as they may be of interest to you.

I doubt TTC will be running them that long. Sometimes they say 2020. Sometimes they say 2019. I don't personally think they'll bother scheduling them after 501 is completely converted - which hopefully will happen by the time Spring ends.

Yeah, with the way things are going, with 7 or 8 Flexities out on 501 today, I personally do expect that 501A will be fully converted by Summer at the latest, I do read CPTDB, I keep on trying to get an account on CPTDB, but not letting me register for some reason. Also, Drum suggested on one of the CPTDB threads that 501L will likely be converted last, in the fall.

Back