News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 404     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

From Steve Munro, at this link:

The implementation will proceed over several months as schedules for the affected routes must be adjusted, and doing this as one “big bang” is more upheaval than TTC staff and management really need.

At the same time as services are revised, they will also be rebranded into a consistent 900-series of route numbers regardless of whether they are “E” branches of existing routes or are “Rocket” services in the 18x and 19x range. Only the 14x Premium Express services will retain their numbers.

Routes typically take the same number as the base route so that, for example, 954 is the express service replacing the 54E on Lawrence East. Where services run in a rapid transit corridor (current or future), they use the corresponding rapid transit number. For example, the existing 131E Nugget Express paralleling the SRT will become route 903. There are, of course, some exceptions just to keep those who try to memorize the entire list on their toes.

TTC Launches the 900 Express Bus Network

Effective September 2, 2018

New/Revised Route

902 Markham Road Express (New)
913 Progress Express (New)
937 Islington Express (New)
984 Sheppard West Express Replaces 84E Sheppard West
985 Sheppard East Express Replaces 190 Scarborough Centre Rocket
905 Eglinton East Express Replaces 198 UTSC Rocket
925 Don Mills Express Replaces 185 Don Mills Rocket
927 Highway 27 Express Replaces 191 Highway 27 Rocket
935 Jane Express Replaces 195 Jane Rocket
939 Finch Express Replaces 199 Finch Rocket
954 Lawrence East Express Replaces 54E Lawrence East
960 Steeles West Express Replaces 60E Steeles West

Effective October 7, 2018

New/Revised Route

929 Dufferin Express (New)
952 Lawrence West Express (New)
989 Weston Express (New)
924 Victoria Park Express Replaces 24E Victoria Park

Future Changes

Revised Route

900 Airport Express Replaces 192 Airport Rocket
903 Kennedy-Scarborough Centre Express Replaces 131E Nugget
941 Keele Express Replaces 41E Keele
944 Kipling South Express Replaces 188 Kiping South Rocket
945 Kipling Express Replaces 45E Kipling
953 Steeles East Express Replaces 53E/53F Steeles East
986 Scarborough Express Replaces 86E Scarborough
993 Exhibition Express [seasonal] Replaces 193 Exhibition Rocket
995 York Mills Express Replaces 95E York Mills
996 Wilson Express Replaces 196 Wilson Rocket​

Last edited:
Add in the ATC review and executive departures. Dots are aligning to a point I can see the makings of a trend. Still too early to tell what it could be regarding.
Exactly what I was thinking! But thought it too abstract to raise in these forums, at least until the press has pounced on it.

I went searching for the ATC story of a month or so ago, where IIRC, ATC is not only off in the future, they *haven't even started on Line 2 yet*...I'm loathe to venture anymore on that until having reference handy...but WTF? Blame isn't by any means Colle's alone, but he was Captain and this was his shift...

And that's just the beginning of the shid coming down the pipe. SSE costs are way off the charts according to some leaked docs not yet released under FOI. And needless to say, with Colle being a Lib, the Con Cannibals are looking for flesh to tear. And burn books and rape and pillage...

And Dougie wanting the subways to play trains with. "Choo-Choo...they're *MINE*..."

Edit to Add: I couldn't find that Star article you linked, so I didn't state what you've been able to. I did find an analog article to it though. From your link:
He said “there has been a gap of information provided to the senior management on how far things had progressed” with ATC.

According to Campbell, former CEO Andy Byford and then Leary “were led to believe that things were better than they were.”

The councillor said sometime after Byford left the agency in December “it was revealed that this project in terms of getting from point A to point B wasn’t moving along as quickly as it should have, and people were let down.”
Holy mother of poo-poo...a little off the track here, but it will also be weighing on Colle: Errrr...Byford is appearing to be a bit of a 'poofta' (to quote the Brits) on a number of matters. He fiddled while Rome burned. God knows what else was under the carpet...he's already been compromised on the SSE imbroglio and the released emails to councilors.

The press suddenly went silent on this story. I don't think they ran out of ammo, they're just reloading for the next charge...

Last edited:
From Steve Munro, at this link:

TTC Launches the 900 Express Bus Network

Effective September 2, 2018

New/Revised Route

902 Markham Road Express (New)
913 Progress Express (New)
937 Islington Express (New)
984 Sheppard West Express Replaces 84E Sheppard West
985 Sheppard East Express Replaces 190 Scarborough Centre Rocket
905 Eglinton East Express Replaces 198 UTSC Rocket
925 Don Mills Express Replaces 185 Don Mills Rocket
927 Highway 27 Express Replaces 191 Highway 27 Rocket
935 Jane Express Replaces 195 Jane Rocket
939 Finch Express Replaces 199 Finch Rocket
954 Lawrence East Express Replaces 54E Lawrence East
960 Steeles West Express Replaces 60E Steeles West

Effective October 7, 2018

New/Revised Route

929 Dufferin Express (New)
952 Lawrence West Express (New)
989 Weston Express (New)
924 Victoria Park Express Replaces 24E Victoria Park

Future Changes

Revised Route

900 Airport Express Replaces 192 Airport Rocket
903 Kennedy-Scarborough Centre Express Replaces 131E Nugget
941 Keele Express Replaces 41E Keele
944 Kipling South Express Replaces 188 Kiping South Rocket
945 Kipling Express Replaces 45E Kipling
953 Steeles East Express Replaces 53E/53F Steeles East
986 Scarborough Express Replaces 86E Scarborough
993 Exhibition Express [seasonal] Replaces 193 Exhibition Rocket
995 York Mills Express Replaces 95E York Mills
996 Wilson Express Replaces 196 Wilson Rocket​
I guess this is one of the last finishing touches from Byford's era, nice to see it finally being released. Leary will probably try and take credit for all of it even though he didnt have much to do with it.

However, I have no idea why the TTC keeps dragging their feet on the structure of the Premium Express routes, something has to be done with them.

Insert the TTC copying DRT joke here by using 900s bus numbering for express routes.

But it's pretty nice that the express buses will potentially have 100 unique routes.

I wonder why some of existing express routes (like the 900 Airport Express replacing the 192 Airport Rocket) are in the "Future Changes" category and cannot be renumber in September?

The 905 Eglinton East Express replacing the 198 UTSC Rocket is confirmation that the Eglinton East LRT is to replace this route (soon).:D

I guess this is one of the last finishing touches from Byford's era, nice to see it finally being released. Leary will probably try and take credit for all of it even though he didnt have much to do with it.

However, I have no idea why the TTC keeps dragging their feet on the structure of the Premium Express routes, something has to be done with them.
Most likely local politics are the reason for the foot dragging on the Premium Express routes.

That said, I do like that the TTC is going back to using the "Express" designation instead of "Rocket." I never got used to associating "Rocket" with an express or limited stop service. To me the rocket refers to the streetcars and that's all. My only disappointment though is the loss of the "E" to signify express service. I feel that this is a unique/nostalgic identity of older North America transit systems.

Can't have the cake and eat it too.

I wonder why some of existing express routes (like the 900 Airport Express replacing the 192 Airport Rocket) are in the "Future Changes" category and cannot be renumber in September?

As part of the renumbering of the routes, they are also changing/rejigging the routes and schedules. They felt that trying to do all of those routes all at once was going to be difficult and beyond their staffing abilities.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

July 27, 2018

Tomorrow, Sat., July 28, Toronto Mayor John Tory, TTC Chair Josh Colle and Scarborough councillors Gary Crawford (Ward 36 Scarborough Southwest) and Paul Ainslie (Ward 43 Scarborough East) will announce a new continuous Kingston Road service beginning Oct. 9 and other transit improvements for Scarborough.

The new service will run every 25-30 minutes between Victoria Park Station and the University of Toronto Scarborough Campus weekdays during morning and afternoon rush hours only (6 - 9 a.m. and 3 - 7 p.m.).

Date: Sat., July 28, 2018.
Time: 9:30 a.m.
Who: Join Mayor John Tory, TTC Chair Josh Colle and councillors Crawford and Ainslie.
Location: Southwest corner of Kingston and Markham Rds. (Plaza parking lot)

This new service is the result of a long-standing request from the local councillors and residents to see continuous transit service along Kingston Road to improve local connectivity and support new development in the corridor. This service will operate as a pilot for one year, and will be assessed and fine tuned during that time.

July 27, 2018

Tomorrow, Sat., July 28, Toronto Mayor John Tory, TTC Chair Josh Colle and Scarborough councillors Gary Crawford (Ward 36 Scarborough Southwest) and Paul Ainslie (Ward 43 Scarborough East) will announce a new continuous Kingston Road service beginning Oct. 9 and other transit improvements for Scarborough.

The new service will run every 25-30 minutes between Victoria Park Station and the University of Toronto Scarborough Campus weekdays during morning and afternoon rush hours only (6 - 9 a.m. and 3 - 7 p.m.).

Date: Sat., July 28, 2018.
Time: 9:30 a.m.
Who: Join Mayor John Tory, TTC Chair Josh Colle and councillors Crawford and Ainslie.
Location: Southwest corner of Kingston and Markham Rds. (Plaza parking lot)

This new service is the result of a long-standing request from the local councillors and residents to see continuous transit service along Kingston Road to improve local connectivity and support new development in the corridor. This service will operate as a pilot for one year, and will be assessed and fine tuned during that time.
I wonder if the bus is UTSC via Morningside/Ellesmere or via Old Kingston/Military Trail?

Hop on-hop off transfer available on TTC starting Aug. 26

July 30, 2018

Mayor John Tory, TTC Chair Josh Colle and Councillor Jon Burnside (Ward 26) announced today that TTC will introduce the hop on-hop off transfer for PRESTO customers next month.

Starting Aug. 26, PRESTO card customers will be able to take advantage of the new two-hour transfer to hop on and off the TTC or switch directions at any point in their journey. As long as they are within two hours of their first tap, they won't be charged another fare.

"It is important that everyone in Toronto has access to public transit, and this new two-hour transfer will make transit more affordable and convenient for people," said Mayor John Tory. "With this year's fare freeze, the Kids Ride Free program, the Fair Fare Pass for low-income residents and now the hop on-hop off transfer, the TTC is more affordable for more people in Toronto."

Once the hop on-hop off transfer is in effect, PRESTO card customers should tap their card each time they enter a subway station and whenever they board a bus or streetcar, regardless of whether it's in a station or on the street. Tapping validates the transfer or monthly pass on the card.

"The hop on-hop off transfer is an excellent initiative for the residents of Ward 26 and across the city," said Councillor Burnside. "It will greatly help people who need to stop on the way home, whether it's to pick up groceries or to pick up kids from daycare."

In addition to the hop on-hop off transfer, TTC Monthly Passes and 12 Month Passes will be available for all adults, seniors and youths to purchase on PRESTO, starting with the September pass. These passes will be available for sale from Aug. 23 until Sept. 5 and will cost the same and provide the same unlimited travel as a regular Metropass or the Metropass Discount Plan (MDP). After that, passes will be available eight days before the end of the month until five days after the start of a new month.

"With so many fare options on PRESTO, the time is right for customers to switch from tickets, tokens and TTC passes to PRESTO," said TTC Chair Josh Colle. "PRESTO is a key piece in the TTC's modernization efforts. By the end of 2019 customers will no longer be able to pay their fare by tickets, tokens or TTC passes. PRESTO or cash will be the only way for customers to pay their fare."

PRESTO is available on all streetcars, buses and at every subway station entrance. New PRESTO Fare Vending Machines are also available at select subway station entrances, making it even easier for customers to buy a PRESTO card, load it with money or a monthly pass or check their balance. By later this fall every station entrance will have at least one PRESTO Fare Vending Machine as well as a Self-Serve Reload Machine.

Back