News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 420     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

July 08
Got to love the fool on the ROW
Both CLRV and ALRV still squealing for the Humber loop

^That raised concrete basically acts as an open invitation for pedestrians and vehicles of all sorts to use the ROW. Next thing we'll hear about now is how the TTC will impose a 20km/h speed restriction throughout the entire thing to watch out for those buffoons.

Greenwood Yard
upload_2018-7-9_2-2-11.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-9_2-2-11.png
    upload_2018-7-9_2-2-11.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 434
After a long, extensive "international search" the TTC has settled for the status quo (aka Rick Leary) as the new TTC CEO:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/07/09/rick-leary-tapped-for-top-job-at-ttc.html

What we can expect from him is anyone's guess, but the few things we know we'll be getting for sure is lack of communication from him. The first thing on his plate should be solving this ridiculous signal delay that keeps reoccurring between Wilson and Vaughan which cripples 1/4 of the Yonge-University every other working day. That and the daily 10km/h crawl northbound between Bloor and Eglinton every morning.

After a long, extensive "international search" the TTC has settled for the status quo (aka Rick Leary) as the new TTC CEO:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/07/09/rick-leary-tapped-for-top-job-at-ttc.html

What we can expect from him is anyone's guess, but the few things we know we'll be getting for sure is lack of communication from him. The first thing on his plate should be solving this ridiculous signal delay that keeps reoccurring between Wilson and Vaughan which cripples 1/4 of the Yonge-University every other working day. That and the daily 10km/h crawl northbound between Bloor and Eglinton every morning.

Is this a joke? The dollar likely was one factor, the three ring circus that is GTA politics was probably the main one.

Leary would not have been my first choice and he is reverting the TTC back to the Webster Days.. possibly even Al Leach. He won't last long before he is turfed.

From the rumblings I've read on other sites it does look like the TTC will be reverting to the pre-Byford era under Rick Leary. Some things that I think will happen:

-He will propose padding the run times with additional time across the entire system. This essentially creating even more capacity issues by running the network even slower. It's already evident with the current streetcar network.

My pet peeve: Don't you just love how the posted stop schedules were all eliminated for 10min or better service standard and directing passengers to look at an app. My suspicion is that they wanted to conceal the fact that they were going to reduce service and wanted to get rid of hard evidence that could pin point them to declining service (for present and historical purposes).

-Current subway frequency seems to have increased and I fear that this will continue to do so. I pray that we don't end up with MBTA subway frequencies.

-He was once the director of MBTA bus operators. So I have suspicions that he will try to sabotage the current streetcar network even further by proposing permanent bus replacement service.

-On a tangent with the above comment, he will become great pals with Doug Ford once Doug finds out that Rick Leary has a distaste for streetcars.

It's still too early to predict what will happen. But if his past with the MBTA gives any indication, we are going to see the resurrection of the old culture and a new old culture norm.

Old habits die hard. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
From the rumblings I've read on other sites it does look like the TTC will be reverting to the pre-Byford era under Rick Leary. Some things that I think will happen:

-He will propose padding the run times with additional time across the entire system. This essentially creating even more capacity issues by running the network even slower. It's already evident with the current streetcar network.

My pet peeve: Don't you just love how the posted stop schedules were all eliminated for 10min or better service standard and directing passengers to look at an app. My suspicion is that they wanted to conceal the fact that they were going to reduce service and wanted to get rid of hard evidence that could pin point them to declining service (for present and historical purposes).

-Current subway frequency seems to have increased and I fear that this will continue to do so. I pray that we don't end up with MBTA subway frequencies.

-He was once the director of MBTA bus operators. So I have suspicions that he will try to sabotage the current streetcar network even further by proposing permanent bus replacement service.

-On a tangent with the above comment, he will become great pals with Doug Ford once Doug finds out that Rick Leary has a distaste for streetcars.

It's still too early to predict what will happen. But if his past with the MBTA gives any indication, we are going to see the resurrection of the old culture and a new old culture norm.

Old habits die hard. My 2 cents.

Luckily it is not a dictatorship and there is a board behind him. Leary can't do anything that the board doesn't vote for.

Secondly, with his exorbitant salary I can see Dougie using this as an excuse to bring the TTC under the Metrolinx umbrella. Once he starts to revert and the board goes against him, Doug Ford will cry mismanagement, disfunctionality leading to calls for the TTC to be taken out of the cities hands.

It will be a return to the Webster days but only if the TTC board gives him a blank cheque. If not, I give him a year a best.

Last edited:
Some more news coming out, this one relating to the TTC being interested in taking over operations for Toronto Bike Share, Toronto Parking Authority, licensing and permitting for taxis, bikeshare and car share services, the administration of road pricing, and additional transit lines not currently owned by the TTC (ie: the Eglinton Crosstown).

My 2 cents, there's a pixie dusts chance that this motion will go through. Not just because the TTC is incapable of operating even their current system properly and efficiently, but also because of the immense cost of doing all this, status-quo mayor we have at the helm, and the soon to be status-quo silo thinking TTC CEO that will be put in place. There will probably be a study going through since the city likes to take ions to study everything, but as to whether this plan will actually happen my wager is no.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...trol-over-transportation-in-toronto-1.4739934

Some more news coming out, this was relating to the TTC interested in taking over operations for Toronto Bike Share, Toronto Parking Authority, licensing and permitting for taxis, bikeshare and car share services, the administration of road pricing, and additional transit lines not currently owned by the TTC (ie: the Eglinton Crosstown).

My 2 cents, there's a pixie dusts chance that this motion will go through. Not just because the TTC is incapable of operating even their current system properly and efficiently, but also because of the immense cost of doing all this, status-quo mayor we have at the helm, and the soon to be status-quo silo thinking TTC CEO that will be put in place. There will probably be a study going through since the city likes to study everything that takes ions to implement, but as to whether this plan will actually happen I'll say no.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...trol-over-transportation-in-toronto-1.4739934

So they are considering a TFL style system? This won't work in Toronto given that there are too many competing committees, councilors and departments all with their own agendas.

Last edited:
It was made to work in London so it is not impossible to do. However, is it appropriate here?

I doubt it. You would get various councilors, committee members with all their pet projects trying to make themselves look good. You would have councilors caving to lobbyists, Mammolitti going on a tirade about cyclists, left wing councilors drinking the cycling kool-aid and the other councilors grandstanding.

In London it is a forward thinking, world class city. Toronto is nothing more than a capitalist, american style city where the only things that matter are kickbacks, votes and money.

In general I found your post exceedingly cynical. Don't get me wrong, we all have reasons to be skeptical, and I don't know who else was up for the top job, but haven't been blown away by Leary thus far.

But let's give the man a chance and not assume the sky is falling just yet.

As to your pet peeve that was an initiative of Chris Upfold a few years ago.

His take was that the physical schedules got out of date and needed changing all the time and it was a pain; for services that were frequent (10m or better), they were yanked.

I personally disagree w/that as the stops don't all have the next vehicle arrival signs, and there are folks w/out cell phones and/or its broke/forgotten etc.

But it wasn't part of a grand conspiracy, even if I think it was done prematurely at some stops.

It was made to work in London so it is not impossible to do. However, is it appropriate here?

I think it could, though I'd be inclined to remove councillors from the Commission in such a case (they could still appoint commissioners).

There is a need to understand that you can raise permit parking fees and reduce the number of cars/increase the number of transit riders while generating revenue for the TTC instead of raising property tax.

All of that is, in theory, understandable now.

But raising permit parking rates is currently a parochial matter.

Likewise, allowing transit to guide integration of last-mile services such as bikeshare, taxi and carshare can work to advantage the transit rider.

Of course, if managed poorly or used as a vehicle for more political grandstanding, its a waste of time.

Back