News   Jul 15, 2024
 102     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The problem with this is that the GTA is too big geographically: such an agency would be unwieldy. Even now, YRT often cites the size of its service area as an operational difficulty.
That's only because of the density and layout of York Region. The GTA as a whole is obviously denser and better laid out for transit than any of its suburban regions alone. I don't see any reason why a single agency handling transit across the GTA would be any more unwieldy than 8 or 9 individual agencies. There are larger and busier systems than a GTA-wide system would be.

The problem with this is that the GTA is too big geographically: such an agency would be unwieldy. Even now, YRT often cites the size of its service area as an operational difficulty.

Maybe we should apply the pre-YRT model to the GTA. Back when each municipality had its own bus system, Go Transit ran some bus routes that would cross through multiple towns, and accepted the fares from either of the cities. There was no extra fare for crossing boundaries, in part because all the York Region transit systems accepted each other's transfers.

A combination of all of these:
What I am against is regional transport that will be beholden to the interests of suburban constituents (I emphasize constituents and not commuters), that will either withhold or misdirect precious transit dollars.

This is also why I remain 100% opposed to provincial ownership and operation of GTHA transit; the provincial government has too many competing interests at hand, and they might not have Toronto's best interests has heart. Ontario is a province of 12 million people, and Toronto represents just 3 million of them.

The problem with this is that the GTA is too big geographically: such an agency would be unwieldy.

That's only because of the density and layout of York Region. The GTA as a whole is obviously denser and better laid out for transit than any of its suburban regions alone.

Maybe we should apply the pre-YRT model to the GTA. Back when each municipality had its own bus system, Go Transit ran some bus routes that would cross through multiple towns, and accepted the fares from either of the cities. There was no extra fare for crossing boundaries, in part because all the York Region transit systems accepted each other's transfers.

Any LRT, busway, subway or heavy commuter rail crossing borders should be joined into a regional system. An existing sub-regional systems should be run and funded locally. Bear in mind that Transport for London does not run local bus service! It is privatized, albeit the routes are dictated and controlled by TfL (for better or worse, but if a local council wants to run their own service, they can). Meantime, TfL has partnered with National Rail to build Crossrail. The same fare applies to whichever rail, ferry, bus or light rail system one wants to take across the GLA. Fares are fully integrated, depending on the type of card you're using. Helicopters not included...

The GTHA *desperately needs* trans-border transit that is integrated and run at arm's length from politics. TfL does that. Toronto and the GTA? Sigh...
Transport for London (TfL) is a local government body responsible for the transport system in Greater London, England.[2] Its head office is in Windsor House in the City of Westminster.[2]

TfL has responsibility for London's network of principal road routes, for various rail networks including the London Underground, London Overground, Docklands Light Railway and TfL Rail, for London's trams, buses and taxis, for cycling provision, and for river services. The underlying services are provided by a mixture of wholly owned subsidiary companies (principally London Underground), by private sector franchisees (the remaining rail services, trams and most buses) and by licensees (some buses, taxis and river services). TfL is also responsible, jointly with the national Department for Transport (DfT), for commissioning the construction of the new Crossrail line, and will be responsible for franchising its operation once completed.[3]

In 2015–16, TfL had a budget of £11.5 billion, 40% of which comes from fares. The rest comes from government funding (23%), borrowing (20%), Congestion Charge and other income (9%) and Crossrail funding (8%).[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_for_London

London was an absolute mess for generations. They've found the light, even if it isn't perfect. Toronto hasn't a clue on even beginning reform. In all fairness, the problems go right back to Queen's Park and the various governing acts, Like the Toronto Act, Municipal Act, etc, etc.

The last regime at Queen's Park that had the cajones to address this were generations ago, of various political stripes. The days of effective leadership are gone...

This has been on Metrolinx do list since the fall of 2006 when it was created as the Regional Transit Authority. This was based on the London model.

I have been calling for years that Metrolinx become the Southern Ontario Transit Authority (SOTA) that will start north at North Bay to the south at the US border, Windsor (US border) to the west and Kingston/Ottawa to the east, since Metrolinx has already exceeded its mandate area. It would have the power to over ride dumb transit plan based on a true business case. Would put more LRT lines on the road than white elephant subways and build them where they should go in the first place. IE Brampton Hurontario line.

One needs to look at the big picture before drill down to an area or route to see how a route will fit into a network of networks lines, moving people faster than today at reasonable cost to built and afford.

Province should take over TTC and other cities’ transit systems, says Toronto Region Board of Trade

This has been on Metrolinx do list since the fall of 2006 when it was created as the Regional Transit Authority. This was based on the London model.

I have been calling for years that Metrolinx become the Southern Ontario Transit Authority (SOTA) that will start north at North Bay to the south at the US border, Windsor (US border) to the west and Kingston/Ottawa to the east, since Metrolinx has already exceeded its mandate area. It would have the power to over ride dumb transit plan based on a true business case. Would put more LRT lines on the road than white elephant subways and build them where they should go in the first place. IE Brampton Hurontario line.

One needs to look at the big picture before drill down to an area or route to see how a route will fit into a network of networks lines, moving people faster than today at reasonable cost to built and afford.

Province should take over TTC and other cities’ transit systems, says Toronto Region Board of Trade

To hell with the barren wasteland that is North Bay. There needs to be a transit organisation that encompasses the area section of Ontario south of Muskoka and Ottawa (Highways 60/417) to the US border.

This is by far the most populated and travelled section of Ontario and most in need of organised transit systems like Metrolinx. There are a ton of Universities in Southern/Southwestern Ontario and tons of people travel to Ottawa, Kingston, Muskoka and even Peterborough. If there was more organised transit headed to these places it would work wonders.

As soon as I saw the name "Superlinx" I just stopped reading the story. If they're going to come up with a proposal like that, at least come up with a name that will make people take a look at the plan like it's somewhat serious.

You cant include North Bay without including Sudbury, and you cant include Sudbury without including Sault Ste Marie, and you cant include that without including Thunder Bay ... and the list goes on. Muskoka kinda falls into this bucket too as some services count it as Northern Ontario.

As soon as I saw the name "Superlinx" I just stopped reading the story. If they're going to come up with a proposal like that, at least come up with a name that will make people take a look at the plan like it's somewhat serious.

"Ontario Transit"? You know, like "BC Transit", but Ontario. How about "Government of Ontario Transit"? Oh wait...

I have been calling for years that Metrolinx become the Southern Ontario Transit Authority (SOTA)

@Leo_Chan Yes.

"Southern Ontario Transit Authority" sounds too much like the "Southwestern Ohio Regional Transit Authority" (Cincinnati's system) who, as far as I can tell, deliberately chose the name for its acronym. If @Amare is concerned about the seriousness of names, then you definitely don't want a system that's "sorta" effective, convenient, comfortable etc. Plus they're not exactly the system to emulate: their ridership has declined from a peak of 28 million to 16 million today.

@Leo_Chan Yes.

"Southern Ontario Transit Authority" sounds too much like the "Southwestern Ohio Regional Transit Authority" (Cincinnati's system) who, as far as I can tell, deliberately chose the name for its acronym. If @Amare is concerned about the seriousness of names, then you definitely don't want a system that's "sorta" effective, convenient, comfortable etc. Plus they're not exactly the system to emulate: their ridership has declined from a peak of 28 million to 16 million today.
How many system have the same acronym with different names being used today??? Can't worry about acronym when names are more important.

How many system have the same acronym with different names being used today??? Can't worry about acronym when names are more important.

I'm more worried about the "sorta" connotations. Even the Ohio system has rebranded as Metro, only keeping SORTA as a legal name. But IMO it's unlikely that the name "Southern Ontario Transit Authority" would be adopted anyway.

With the TYSSE opening soon, the official TTC shop has started selling some really cool mugs honouring the new stations.

vaughan-1_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
You cant include North Bay without including Sudbury, and you cant include Sudbury without including Sault Ste Marie, and you cant include that without including Thunder Bay ... and the list goes on. Muskoka kinda falls into this bucket too as some services count it as Northern Ontario.

It would be nice to see additional GO services out head out that way to supplement the lack of VIA rail services. I am not saying Toronto to Kenora but what I am saying is Kenora to Sudbury or something. Just enough to connect the province because as it stands right now you cannot get to Northern Ontario by transit given the lack of Ontario Northland.

Back