News   Jul 15, 2024
 349     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 510     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 556     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

It makes sense. He wants to go find new problems to deal with, and he wants to leave at a point where he can say that he finished his work and people won't accuse him of abandoning ship. It's easy to point out problems with the TTC (which is why finding that right time is so hard) but it really is a lot better than it was in 2011.

Who will replace Andy Byford?

Would like to see someone from an European, Japanese, or Asian transit agency take over. However, once they see the lack of financial support given from the city, province, and federal government, they may decide "No way"!

Bit of a shame to lose Byford, but fixing New York City transit should be an even bigger challenge/opportunity for him.

I hope we get someone good as a replacement, though.

Just 65% of trains reach their destination within five minutes of their expected arrival on weekdays, which is the lowest rate among any major metropolitan rapid transit system, according to the report.
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-nyc-subways-got-so-bad-nyt-report-2017-11

It's easy to point out problems with the TTC (which is why finding that right time is so hard) but it really is a lot better than it was in 2011.

IMO a lot of the TTC's issues are funding based, which lies outside of any transit CEO's ability to manage. Byford was pretty good in terms of fixing various issues within the TTC, but my one qualm was that he never pushed back hard enough against Tory's """flatlining""" (aka cuts), which affected system reliability(i.e. mass failure of AC that summer) and service (overcrowding)

Would like to see someone from an European, Japanese, or Asian transit agency take over. However, once they see the lack of financial support given from the city, province, and federal government, they may decide "No way"!

Yeah... Nobody would want to come work for the TTC after working for a well-run European subway system.

IMO a lot of the TTC's issues are funding based, which lies outside of any transit CEO's ability to manage. Byford was pretty good in terms of fixing various issues within the TTC, but my one qualm was that he never pushed back hard enough against Tory's """flatlining""" (aka cuts), which affected system reliability(i.e. mass failure of AC that summer) and service (overcrowding)

I guess we have to say this again... The TTC may not get as much funding as you want it to, but it currently gets a lot more funding, even adjusted for inflation, than it has gotten in decades (possibly ever - I believe it got a bigger real subsidy in the early 1990s but it had very few subsidies until the late-80s ridership collapse).

The TTC's big problem until the last few years was complacency. They didn't hire any management from outside the agency (Andy Byford was a very rare exception at the time), they didn't look at how other transit agencies solved problems, and sometimes it seemed that they didn't know the rest of the world even existed. They still have those problems once in a while (the Premium Express bus nonsense, for example) but they're a lot better than they used to be.

Last edited:
Bit of a shame to lose Byford, but fixing New York City transit should be an even bigger challenge/opportunity for him.

I hope we get someone good as a replacement, though.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-nyc-subways-got-so-bad-nyt-report-2017-11

With Adam Giambrone heading up the Brooklyn–Queens Connector (BQX) streetcar project (see link), and now with Andy Byford backing him, maybe New York City will be getting a streetcar in Brooklyn. See link.

With Adam Giambrone heading up the Brooklyn–Queens Connector (BQX) streetcar project (see link), and now with Andy Byford backing him, maybe New York City will be getting a streetcar in Brooklyn. See link.

Their work is completely unrelated. New York City Transit is a State-run agency. BQX is a municipal project with practically no support from the MTA.

If Tory wanted to flatline the TTC budget, without pegging that “flatlining” to inflation, then it was a budget cut. A mild budget cut, but a cut nevertheless

The TTC's budget increases are way above inflation. It was around 11% this year - more than 9% in real terms.

The TTC's budget increases are way above inflation. It was around 11% this year - more than 9% in real terms.

The 2018 budget hasn’t been released yet, but council has requested that all departments keep spending at 2017 levels, which would be an effective budget cut for the TTC.

Whether or not the TTC budget cut makes it into the final budget is unknown, but based on the comments of the TTC chair, we’ll probably see another budget increase regardless of the Council directive.

Back