News   Jul 15, 2024
 405     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 558     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 565     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Does anyone know when the side displays on the trs will be activated? Ive seen many installed but none working

The side signs on the subway cars are not to be used, as the information that they display is not technically AODA-compliant. The system used to drive them has to be completely redesigned, and needs to be tied in with the front signs. It's not now.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The side signs on the subway cars are not to be used, as the information that they display is not technically AODA-compliant. The system used to drive them has to be completely redesigned, and needs to be tied in with the front signs. It's not now.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
If anyone wants to get upset today, get upset over a world run wild by the need to accommodate and to be "compliant" such that perfectly good safety islands are being pulled out (Bay and College) and perfectly good - but not up to current spec - signs on our NEWEST subway trains are not in use. AODA is lovely in concept but bureaucracy has run amok when something has to be pulled from active use - lest someone be wronged - in the name of access / accommodation. Elsewhere on this board, @MetroMan has bemoaned the city having "nice" (can't remember the particular context) things because they were not AODA compliant. The accommodation hammer is becoming heavy.

I also think that the TTC should start highlighting some its main streetcar lines (i.e. King and Queen), as well as some of its express bus routes as being equivalent routes to the subway lines. And like the article above states- giving them their own name and colour rather than a number helps.

Even though they're not really 'rapid transit', doing so might help improve perceptions of connectivity in the transit system. I think there'll be a difference in seeing that you can connect onto an Express bus/streetcar at a certain subway station, rather than having to differentiate that route from the tangle of surface routes on the enlarged map.

I couldn't agree more. I think that all TTC streetcar connections should be marked beside their respective stations on the TTC subway map (ie, a 501 and 502 logo beside the Queen station name), and RoW streetcar lines should be shown fully on the map, such as the 509, 510, 512, and even the 514 and 504 due to the King Street Pilot. This isn't perfect, but I am sure the TTC could come up with a better solution than what is being used now.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Why were the signs installed in the first place, if they're not AODA compliant?

Why were the signs installed in the first place, if they're not AODA compliant?

Because it wasn't realized that they weren't AODA compliant until it was too late.

They are activated by a separate rotary knob in each cab, with only a couple of specific destinations possible. This can lead to situations where the side signs are not showing accurate information as to the destination of the train - and thus not being compliant with the Act.

Silly, but that's how the TTC operates sometimes.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Because it wasn't realized that they weren't AODA compliant until it was too late.

They are activated by a separate rotary knob in each cab, with only a couple of specific destinations possible. This can lead to situations where the side signs are not showing accurate information as to the destination of the train - and thus not being compliant with the Act.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
It was probably a quick n dirty solution, but obviously, it was necessary to be able to control them centrally from the controls for the cab sign which was not foreseen.

It was probably a quick n dirty solution, but obviously, it was necessary to be able to control them centrally from the controls for the cab sign which was not foreseen.

I think that what's more likely is that they wanted to come up with a solution that didn't involve Bombardier. Not for any specifically nefarious reasons, but more so because any solution involving the original train's specs will need to be engineered by them to maintain the warranty. The addition of the side signs seems like it could be done without damaging the warranties still left.

And as it turns out, seeing as how they will have commission Bombardier to design the tie-in with the signs at the ends of the sets, they've kinda goofed on that.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I am not sure how GO can get around this side display requirement while TTC has to bend over backward to ensure compliance to the point of not using it post-installation.

AoD

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Is this just the case with the T1's or does it affect the TR's as well and what about the SRT?

Is this just the case with the T1's or does it affect the TR's as well and what about the SRT?

T1s and TRs.

Considering there are no potential short-turn locations for the SRT, it likely wouldn't affect it when the time comes to install the same displays there.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I am not sure how GO can get around this side display requirement while TTC has to bend over backward to ensure compliance to the point of not using it post-installation.

Likely more usage of common sense. Keep in mind that GO transit does not have destination signs on their trains. They only have them in the stations on the screens. Just like today when the TTC could not make up their minds on turnback points (first Ossington, then St. George) the TTC has no idea where they want to send trains and it is easier to look at the side of trains. The TTC needs them to help inform passengers.

GO transit usually has no delays and it is virtually impossible to find a good place on the side OR front of the trains for destination signage. Could you imagine if they placed it on the upper level?

AoD

Perhaps because instead they plan to add signage to all of the platforms instead? Admittedly, I have not read that particular part of the act thoroughly, so I don't know if the two (signage on platform versus exterior of vehicle) are equivalent.

GO is certainly subject to the portions of the act covering internal displays - they are in the process of adding them now.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Taking over as President and CEO of NYC Transit

Back