News   Jul 15, 2024
 580     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 741     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 599     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Because it wasn't realized that they weren't AODA compliant until it was too late.

They are activated by a separate rotary knob in each cab, with only a couple of specific destinations possible. This can lead to situations where the side signs are not showing accurate information as to the destination of the train - and thus not being compliant with the Act.

Silly, but that's how the TTC operates sometimes.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

wow wtf.... seriously.... both parties just showed how poorly executed AODA has been.... ontario for lack of common sense, ttc for lack of forethought.
how does not showing 100% accurate info a breach of aoda??? buses with wrong displays happen all the time yet they dont get condemned off the road nor luminator get charged with a breach.
has aoda been driven to the point its being used as a card for hurt feelings????

At the new Renforth Station for the Mississauga Transitway and at (some, but expanding) the new farside streetcar stops on King Street, there are similar platform edges as on the subway station platforms.

dsc09343-jpg.127989

29754-102668.jpeg

Wondering if all bus stops and streetcar stops and platforms will be getting those yellow edges?

The ones on Kinga re getting it because the area 'inside' the yellow is a pedestrian-only area. It makes sense here and at Renforth where there is no curb.
How would a cyclist know that? Had I not seen it here and read your post, I’d not have known it.

At the new Renforth Station for the Mississauga Transitway and at (some, but expanding) the new farside streetcar stops on King Street, there are similar platform edges as on the subway station platforms.
[...]
Wondering if all bus stops and streetcar stops and platforms will be getting those yellow edges?
They are dangerous for cyclists hitting them, especially when wet.

They are for the hard of seeing, thus the term "yellow tactile strip". They are "tactile" to the end of a cane, and come in different models and patterns, some of which are slipperier than others, *especially* when cycling down the length, not across the width:
[...]
Because if you do happen to live in Auckland then you will have discovered that the inner city streets aren’t paved with gold, they are instead paved with what I have taken to calling slippery, yellow death blocks – although the technical name for these traps is ‘Tactile Paving’.

But no matter what you call them if you are not careful they will be the death of you. This is because when they get wet, which is often in the increasingly tropical clime of Auckland, they become slipperier than a bag of bastards.

Forget banana peels, if you so much as look at a strip of tactile paving you are likely to fall flat on your ass. [...]
https://critikarlreviewstheworld.wordpress.com/2014/01/21/tactile-paving/

And from a poster familiar to most of us:
submitted 11 months ago by amnesiajune

First off all, PSA-ish - I just saw an older woman slip and fall on those tactile sidewalk strips that the city installs to help blind people know where crossings are. So be careful out there.

Second, I noticed that they actually are really slippery, even for my not-70-years-old self wearing good boots. Is this true in other parts of the city too?
Other posters:
Honest-Edd 2 points 11 months ago

Those yellow subway things are made of hard plastic and are also slippery as fuck
StudioGuyDudeManYorkville 1 point 11 months ago

I've also noticed that as soon as they get wet they get much more slippery than the usual concrete sidewalk. And they're usually sloping down to the street. It would've been better if they were a grippy material.
https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comments/5hsd8n/slippery_tactile_sidewalk_strips/
Slippery just for walking on.

Now think a cyclist flying down them length-wise, cuz sure as hell the City hasn't. Until they get their arses sued...

Thats why the yellow strips were added; though the transit stop area is actualy protected by jersey barriers and planters (and the ramps) s I'm not sure why cyclists would cycle there.
To get to the other side? It should be bog obvious that cyclists, wisely or not, will be cycling along them. There's tracks just two feet away, and the City has *encouraged* cyclists to use that route. What in hell were they thinking?

kingdombabeFebruary 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM
These new ramps are frightening. I wish there were a better way. I have cerebral palsy, and I must use those ramps to get up the curb. These ramps make walking dangerous, and when it rains they also get very slippery.
ChristinaNovember 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM
My 2 1/2 was walking out of walgreens yesterday. They have truncated domes that are brick. Well, he tripped and busted his face, head and toe pretty bad. I picked him up as he was oozing blood and went into the store. No one helped until a customer came to our rescue. How safe are these truncated domes. I understand the argument for visually impaired but what about the rest of the world? Children included? Any help or advice is appreciated. Thank you!
AnonymousJanuary 20, 2014 at 9:49 PM
My mom in her 80s tripped on these truncated cones at a market and hit her head. These are truly dangerous and there should be a class-action lawsuit to replace them with a safer design.
  1. AnonymousFebruary 26, 2014 at 9:24 PM
    these truncated domes are horrible for elder people in a walker!!! it's hard to believe that's the best they can do to improve accessibility. It seems to me there are more mobility impaired people than visually impaired. this is truly ridiculous!!! PC that's not PC

April 19, 2014 at 8:35 PM
    I have had to use a knee walker for many weeks over the past few years and I have an awful time on these bumps. Most of them that I see are red not yellow but all the same, they create a problem for me in the knee walker.

October 3, 2014 at 10:44 PM
    I agree. having some smooth areas in between the bumps so wheel chairs could pass without rolling over the bumps. Question is, how do we get the law changed to allow this modification to take place?
  1. AnonymousMay 7, 2015 at 5:15 PM
    They are a hazard for frail, elderly who are using walkers or canes, or have trouble with balance. My parents, in their 90s, hate them - they cannot walk on them. I know people in wheelchairs who hate them. Normal healthy people trip on them, or slip on them when they are wet. They install them everywhere at stores, hospitals, and now they are installing them in the neighborhood. Insidious waste of money. ADA is a money suck.

First, we spend millions, if not billions on ramps, and now we install barriers on the ramps. ADA was a big mistake - it’s been a windfall for attorneys, and not much else.
    [*][...]
    AnonymousOctober 22, 2015 at 10:29 AM
    Truncated Domes are a huge hazard. I tripped on a dome that had risen from within the concrete, landing on my knee and shattering my knee cap. I'm deathly afraid to ever walk near one again. They need redesign to accommodate serious safety issues, plus they need to be inspected constantly for maintenance issues. My opinion is they are a hazard for all people, disabled or not.

Donna DearaujoJuly 6, 2016 at 6:59 PM
    I fell on truncated domes outside a Costco and fractured my knee requiring surgery. I am surprised that there hasn't been a class action lawsuit I can't even find a personal injury attorney to take my case. How can something this dangerous to the general public be allowed?

[*]
  2. And on and on...http://atnetworkblog.blogspot.ca/2012/03/pros-and-cons-of-truncated-domes-should.html
And I haven't even quoted from the cycling blogs yet...

Last edited:
"I can't even" deal with all the tools on Facebook responding to the news stories saying that Byford ruined TTC :mad:
Antisocial media is antisocial.

Even the Toronto Star and CBC comments for that story are toxic (and they're not as general interest).

/r/Toronto is even worse.... It makes Fakebook posts seem refreshing in comparison.

wow wtf.... seriously.... both parties just showed how poorly executed AODA has been.... ontario for lack of common sense, ttc for lack of forethought.
how does not showing 100% accurate info a breach of aoda??? buses with wrong displays happen all the time yet they dont get condemned off the road nor luminator get charged with a breach.
has aoda been driven to the point its being used as a card for hurt feelings????

If a destination sign on a bus is showing the incorrect information, the correct code can be punched in to make it correct. Or at the worst the program can be updated to show it. Either way, the sign is physically capable of displaying the correct info.

In the case of the subway's side signs, the system is physically incapable - because it was designed as such - of showing such basic additional information such as short turns. I don't even think that Glencairn is one of the options on the displays on the TRs, and they can't show the terminals of the other line.

It was just a poorly thought out project, and it will get rectified.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

New York Times, not surprisingly, has had a number of articles, one a feature mentioned by Steve Munro in his latest blog, on the NYSubway and Byford's arrival to save the day. Toronto is going to look like a cake-walk compared to NY.

Whatever:
[...]
His experience in Toronto provides some insight into how he may approach his new job. Early in his tenure there, he unveiled a five-year plan to enhance and modernize the system, and it was his stewardship of that plan that helped earn him favorable reviews.

Steve Munro, a longtime Toronto transit advocate, said Mr. Byford also faced two crises when he took over that might be illustrative of his approach in New York. One involved the extension of a subway line, and the other required modernizing the signals on a different line.

“Both required money just to investigate, and then much more to fix,” Mr. Munro said. Problems with both projects when Mr. Byford took over had been a blow to the system’s image “and hurt its credibility for cost control and project management,” Mr. Munro said.

As a new leader, he was able to paint the past administration in an “unfavorable light,” Mr. Munro said. But, more important, in a short period of time Mr. Byford was able to make progress on both projects.

“It will be interesting to see if he can triage short- and longer-term fixes,’’ Mr. Munro said, “so that he has something to show fairly quickly.’’
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/nyregion/new-york-city-subways-andy-byford-politics.html

The feature article is here:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/nyregion/its-not-just-the-track-thats-broken.html

Any idea how or when that will happen?

They've already commissioned Bombardier to tie the new signs into the signs at the ends of the trainsets. In theory, that should be pretty easy for them to do.

I don't know how they're going to make them work on the T1s yet, however.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I don't know how they're going to make them work on the T1s yet, however.

Do they not have capability to run signals to the sign via the pre-existing wiring in the train such as the communication lines? This presumes of course that the comms cables are fibre optic.

Very excited for this. I know It'll cut my household's car trips.. Often when we go out for dinner in a different part of the city we drive since it's cheaper to park for $6-$10 than it is for two people to take the TTC both ways ($12). if its only going to be $6 to make that trip, we'll take the TTC, especially if it means we have more than 1 drink.

Back