News   Jul 16, 2024
 434     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 543     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Interesting I'm surprised it's taken them this long to figure out that putting things together in one place is better then scattering them around.
To do the work, TTC had to relocate various things to various lease space.

Been told the area where they built the full intersection to make sure it fits correctly before being ship to the site was too small and caused problems.

If you every get a chance to site the full site, you will be taken back as what is all there.

Don't forget how old this site is and was built for a different age than the one we live in.

TTC is still looking at building a yard there for the 511 and 512, as it would cut down on the deadhead time to/from the lines.

TTC is still looking at building a yard there for the 511 and 512, as it would cut down on the deadhead time to/from the lines.
I was staying at Wychwood Park a few weeks back, and headed home to Dundas West and Bloor one evening, and lo and behold, an out of service 512 was going south on Bathurst from Vaughan Rd with "Roncesvalles" on the route blind. I grabbed it! Great driver, not as fast as the subway, but had the car all the way to myself except for the last few blocks until Howard Park and Roncy, where he turned south, and I walked north. "Serendipity!"

That is a long way to deadhead, and when it's congested, and with the rerouting now along Dundas, it must really slow things down.

When I first saw the article I thought it was about a makeshift track workstation that could be disassembled/reassembled on sites. Then it got me thinking why we don't see such a thing here. Years back I recall KW using something along these lines (temporary structure to build their LRT line). If it's moderately heated and muffles noise, it could be used for winter track work and extended construction hours in an urban environment. Maybe it could also 'save money and reduce delays'.

To do the work, TTC had to relocate various things to various lease space.

Been told the area where they built the full intersection to make sure it fits correctly before being ship to the site was too small and caused problems.

If you every get a chance to site the full site, you will be taken back as what is all there.

Don't forget how old this site is and was built for a different age than the one we live in.

Yeah I know how crazy Hillcrest is I went on one of the tours they had for charity one-time. I could definitely see them converting part of it for storage for some streetcars for 512 and 511

Cutting subsidies, fare freeze and increase service don't mix. Good luck.

Translink in Vancouver claims they had increased ridership thanks to the reduced (fare cut) flat rate bus network. I wonder how much money they lost so fare. Maybe their tactic of forcing riders to pay a second fare when they purchased the wrong number of zones on the skytrain added to their ridership count. TTC should do that at Spadina but that's another story.

When I first saw the article I thought it was about a makeshift track workstation that could be disassembled/reassembled on sites. Then it got me thinking why we don't see such a thing here. Years back I recall KW using something along these lines (temporary structure to build their LRT line). If it's moderately heated and muffles noise, it could be used for winter track work and extended construction hours in an urban environment. Maybe it could also 'save money and reduce delays'.
There has been discussion of this elsewhere on UT - they use temporary track for short-term diversions in both Amsterdam and London. Here is Dublin (2016)
dublin.JPG

Attachments

• dublin.JPG
    dublin.JPG
    707.6 KB · Views: 396
There has been discussion of this elsewhere on UT - they use temporary track for short-term diversions in both Amsterdam and London. Here is Dublin (2016)

Interesting, but I was more talking about a mobile structure that could enclose a work site. A 'dome' of sorts, but elongate to cover maybe a ~100m section.

Its election year and once again Tory, how are you going to fund TTC so there is not only no need fore fare increase, but to allow TTC to catch up on their backlog???
Mayor John Tory wants TTC fare freeze for 2018
It's amazing that he wants to do that and freeze the budget at the same time. Most pole will just her that he wants to keep fares as is and not bother reading anything else though. It's sad how in politics everyone only hers what they want to her and ignores everything else. Like when the conservatives talked about Tax cuts they never said who would get them and in the end the pole that didn't need them got them.

View attachment 116880
They would probably be worried it would derail or something like that, or at least the legal department would be. Plus we have a lot of extra track that can be used for diversions, not as much as before but they do have ways to move around it when they can. In cities that have built new streetcars and LRTs they don't have extra connections that they can play around with.

They would probably be worried it would derail or something like that, or at least the legal department would be. Plus we have a lot of extra track that can be used for diversions, not as much as before but they do have ways to move around it when they can. In cities that have built new streetcars and LRTs they don't have extra connections that they can play around with.
No doubt there would be legal and liability worries but if other places can use temporary track I really do not see why Toronto can't - at least in summer. Derailing is really not likely! While there is certainly SOME diversion track in Toronto it is seldom convenient and I saw this temporary track being used (in Amsterdam) to allow 'two-way traffic' on a stretch of tangent track while the 'other half' was being repaired. They have a very busy streetcar network and I doubt they are somehow smarter than we are; it COULD work here.

No doubt there would be legal and liability worries but if other places can use temporary track I really do not see why Toronto can't - at least in summer. Derailing is really not likely! While there is certainly SOME diversion track in Toronto it is seldom convenient and I saw this temporary track being used (in Amsterdam) to allow 'two-way traffic' on a stretch of tangent track while the 'other half' was being repaired. They have a very busy streetcar network and I doubt they are somehow smarter than we are; it COULD work here.
The city may not want to allow it. Moist of the time when they do work that requires a diversion though they are working on both rails and deviating from one side to the other isn't a good solution. I think there are some pictures somewhere of the them or a predecessor doing it many years ago but it isn't always convent to do in mixed traffic.

The city may not want to allow it. Moist of the time when they do work that requires a diversion though they are working on both rails and deviating from one side to the other isn't a good solution. I think there are some pictures somewhere of the them or a predecessor doing it many years ago but it isn't always convent to do in mixed traffic.
Not sure the humidity (or moistness) is a factor but, of course, it will not be suitable in all locations and is probably something TTC will never dare to try out but it IS something done fairly regularly elsewhere for short-term projects.

Back