News   Jul 16, 2024
 441     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 551     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I think it is an assumption as it is the simplest solution. Without any fare integration at all, a single TTC fare on the TYSSE is decent, not taking into account the start/end of the TTC journey.

As least some people who live/work along the route will not require a double fare.

Its interesting to see how everyone reacts to the idea of the TTC fare being charged for the subway for example at the doors open even for one of the subway stations I thin it was at Downsview park I got into a conversation with a couple that was probably from york region as they were looking at the amp and seeing how all of the out of Toronto buses were going to terminate at the stations for the most part. They asked what the fare would be and if there would be a co fare or something like that. I told them that as of now it was going to be spertet fares a sit was tilland still is being angled between the TTC and Metrolinx about what and how the fare will work if it;s is going to be different then it is now. They were pretty shocked by it and seemed annoyed by it. Where as I look at it as When I get off of the subway in York region and transfer to one of their buses I would expect to pay their fare and not something reduced since I had gotten off of the TTC.

I'm not sure why it would seem logical to assume the entire extension would charge a single TTC fare. TTC buses that currently service this area charge the YRT fare in addition to the already-paid TTC fare if you're going north past Steeles. If you ride a TTC bus in York Region and never cross south into Steeles, you only pay the YRT fare, no TTC fare. I think the "simplest solution" would be to keep that exactly the same as it has been, and will continue to be for TTC routes that cross into York Region elsewhere e.g. Markham even after TYSSE opens. If you get on and off between VMC, 407, and Steeles West, you'll probably only pay a YRT fare, or ride free if you have a valid YRT transfer from, say, the Viva rapidway; if you ride south of Steeles only, you'll pay a TTC fare/transfer only. It's also simple to assume that if you cross steeles, you pay both a TTC and YRT fare; if you ride a Viva bus to VMC and tap on, your YRT fare is already paid so you only pay a TTC fare, which gives you a TTC transfer for use if you get off and connect to a streetcar downtown, etc.

The only real question at this point is what happens with respect to York University students. If you take GO to 407 or Downsview Park, routes which previously serviced York itself but now require a 2 stop subway ride, will it charge the full fares for that travel or will it be free/heavily discounted recognizing that the trip used to be covered solely on a single GO fare; ditto for YRT and Zum routes terminating at VMC/407/Steeles West.

I don't think there was every any question that plain and simple subway rides would charge a YRT fare north of Steeles, a TTC fare south of Steeles, and both fares if crossing Steeles, exactly as buses do.

Zum buses are still planning to go into York U on the same route as currently, although some may also serve VMC too.

But, with the line opening relatively soon, the official details of fares and potential co-fares really should ironed out and revealed to the public.

I'm not sure why it would seem logical to assume the entire extension would charge a single TTC fare. TTC buses that currently service this area charge the YRT fare in addition to the already-paid TTC fare if you're going north past Steeles. If you ride a TTC bus in York Region and never cross south into Steeles, you only pay the YRT fare, no TTC fare. I think the "simplest solution" would be to keep that exactly the same as it has been, and will continue to be for TTC routes that cross into York Region elsewhere e.g. Markham even after TYSSE opens. If you get on and off between VMC, 407, and Steeles West, you'll probably only pay a YRT fare, or ride free if you have a valid YRT transfer from, say, the Viva rapidway; if you ride south of Steeles only, you'll pay a TTC fare/transfer only. It's also simple to assume that if you cross steeles, you pay both a TTC and YRT fare; if you ride a Viva bus to VMC and tap on, your YRT fare is already paid so you only pay a TTC fare, which gives you a TTC transfer for use if you get off and connect to a streetcar downtown, etc.

But how will they know who is only north of border, who is south, and who crosses?

Currently the TTC stations do not require you to tap out. I don't that's going to change in the next 5 months.

But how will they know who is only north of border, who is south, and who crosses?

Currently the TTC stations do not require you to tap out. I don't that's going to change in the next 5 months.

It has been stated that the TYSSE stations will all require tap-out.

I'm a little confused by TTC Metropass on Presto rollout. They say they are doing it in "limited quantity to evaluate the customer experience". But why would anyone normally using swipe Metropass switch to Presto Metropass? I don't see any incentives for customers to do this and I'm curious about their sales/the feedback they've received.

I'm a little confused by TTC Metropass on Presto rollout. They say they are doing it in "limited quantity to evaluate the customer experience". But why would anyone normally using swipe Metropass switch to Presto Metropass? I don't see any incentives for customers to do this and I'm curious about their sales/the feedback they've received.

There are likely a few who would want to switch for the sake of it, plus it avoids having to go out and buy a pass.

But why would anyone normally using swipe Metropass switch to Presto Metropass? I don't see any incentives for customers to do this and I'm curious about their sales/the feedback they've received.

A non-trivial number use both TTC and GO for their daily commute and this would allow them to carry one less card.

Otherwise I agree for the moment that I wouldn't volunteer to be the Presto guinea pig. October/November, however, will be different as swipe entrances start to disappear.

Last edited:
TTC like other systems want to do away with all fare media and only have the Presto card and cash fares.

Come Jan 1st 2018, Mississauga will be Presto and cash only with all tickets and passes being cancel as its stands today.

TTC is to phase thing out during 2018 with full Presto and cash by 2019, a year later than plan. Riders will have X date to use the existing fare media by and start to get a refund on what they have still not used. Tokens were supposed the first to go. Current passes were to be added to the Presto card.

This was posted in another group
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Perhaps the most pertinent question is the Costs (CAPAX and Operational and Maintenance) associated with Wire-Free. In Sydney the new light rail extension (CBD and South East Light Rail – CSELR) now under construction has committed to 2kms of APS in the centre of the city with the remainder of the system, some 12 kms being supplied by overhead.

Attempting to establish the additional costs associated with the APS system is difficult as the proponents of APS both here and elsewhere maintain a virtual iron curtain around this information. Nevertheless local sources are suggesting that the 2 km APS section will add an extra $200 million to the overall project cost. The proponents have neither confirmed nor denied this $200 million figure.

Observations of the Dubai and Bordeaux systems reveal a constant and ongoing need to replace mechanical components both on the tram and within the contact zone area of the ground level power contacts. Here again the costs associated with this maintenance are tightly held by the APS proponents. How can an informed buyer for the tramway system establish that the tramway system is getting value for money?

A further question is the increase in the capital cost per tram and the weight penalty added to each tram resulting in increased power consumption over the life of the vehicle.

Operational criteria applying in system operations cannot be overlooked, this involves frequency of service, load of Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning systems on the power supply system of the LRV, the operational speeds of tramway operation and the system gradients and dwell time at stops and the number of stops all of which can increase power demand. The marketers of wire-less system always showcase systems that have significant recovery times at termini and/or very leisurely system operating speeds.

It is noteworthy that there are 18 UNESCO World Heritage listed cities with tramways in Europe, the ultimate in terms of the need for historic and aesthetic sensitivity. These are Riga, Tallinn, Graz, Vienna, Bern, Edinburgh, Strasbourg, Florence, Naples, Porto, Lyon, Le Havre, Budapest, Kracow, St Petersburg, Yaroslavl, Prague and Warsaw.

In every one of these without exception, the trams are powered by overhead wire, even in the French cities of Nice (the site of an early trial of wireless power) and Le Havre. UNESCO has pretty onerous requirements about management of the heritage of these cities with which member states are treaty-bound to comply. In all the reports I've seen, never have tram wires been raised as an issue.

Several of the cities, including Budapest, Prague, Vienna and Warsaw, have among the busiest tram systems in the world, demanding infrastructure and trams to be as cost-effective and as fail-safe as possible. Many of the cities are not terribly wealthy, with few exceptions like Vienna which even lately has admitted it has financial difficulties that prevent it undertaking, for example, intensive maintenance work like Melbourne does.

What seems to come out of this is that jurisdictions entertaining wireless power are characterised by a combination of one or all of the following factors: pretension, a surfeit of money and/or a not very onerous operation.

Back