News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 434     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The track section between Journal Square and Harrison is a smooth and fast ride. I was lucky enough to ride the PATH on the now retired PA4 trains that had a window to view the Hudson Tubes and the interlocking.
You cant do that with the current PA5's.

If anybody is interested, the North Toronto Historical Society has a free talk about the history of the opening of the Yonge Subway, since this year is the 60th Anniversary of it.

Details:
http://northtorontohistoricalsociety.org/ntmeet14current.html

The 60th Anniversary of Canada's First Subway
A visual documentary in celebration of the Yonge subway - the need, its construction, its opening and views of it in operation. Presented by Ted Wickson, local historian, railway/transit enthusiast and former TTC archivist.

The track section between Journal Square and Harrison is a smooth and fast ride. I was lucky enough to ride the PATH on the now retired PA4 trains that had a window to view the Hudson Tubes and the interlocking.
You cant do that with the current PA5's.

A lot of newer transit vehicles are blocking views out the front and/or back for passengers. It must have started with the disappearance of rear windows on buses. Used to be that there were very large picture windows in the back of buses, but no more.

While blocking access may have some security aspects, it defeats customer enjoyment. I would prefer to see windows (security, bullet proof?) so that passengers could see out front where they are going, and see out back to see if one can transfer to another (express?) bus behind.

When I was riding the NYC subway, someone opened the door between cars while the train was moving pretty fast. The guy stood on the small walkway between the trains looking down for a sec while the train was twisting and turning. I was remember thinking that I was going to watch someone die. He opened the next car's door and walked in though. I don't know why he felt the urge to switch cars while the train was speeding down a tunnel, I'm surprised those doors aren't locked.

A lot of newer transit vehicles are blocking views out the front and/or back for passengers. It must have started with the disappearance of rear windows on buses. Used to be that there were very large picture windows in the back of buses, but no more.

While blocking access may have some security aspects, it defeats customer enjoyment. I would prefer to see windows (security, bullet proof?) so that passengers could see out front where they are going, and see out back to see if one can transfer to another (express?) bus behind.

I don't see why agencies have to totally block the front view from passengers. In Toronto, the TR's at least have a window where people can view out. The PA5 front cabs are totally blocked off, and I found riding the trains to be unpleasant. I actually was looking forward to leaving the train.

When I was riding the NYC subway, someone opened the door between cars while the train was moving pretty fast. The guy stood on the small walkway between the trains looking down for a sec while the train was twisting and turning. I was remember thinking that I was going to watch someone die. He opened the next car's door and walked in though. I don't know why he felt the urge to switch cars while the train was speeding down a tunnel, I'm surprised those doors aren't locked.

I did that once in '95 after seeing someone do it. It's not easy, and it was the one and only time I did it.

This winter has seen many place where Ice is hanging from the ceiling of the station. Islington still has an area tape off where ice was hanging with water there now. Yonge/Bloor saw area rope off due water leaks.

This is at Kipling March 07
13033351315_9a8de83360_b.jpg

13033349165_be7ece7a6b_b.jpg

Someone from NYC told me that this kind of thing isn't out of the ordinary. Your not supposed to (obviously), but some people do it anyways.

If anybody is interested, the North Toronto Historical Society has a free talk about the history of the opening of the Yonge Subway, since this year is the 60th Anniversary of it.

Details:
http://northtorontohistoricalsociety.org/ntmeet14current.html

60 years ago, the Yonge Subway's southern terminal was Union Station (Front Street). Today that southern terminal has been moved 3km north, to Bloor-Yonge Station. I wish we'd go back to having the southern terminal at Union :confused:

This post expires Monday at 6:00 AM

This winter has seen many place where Ice is hanging from the ceiling of the station. Islington still has an area tape off where ice was hanging with water there now. Yonge/Bloor saw area rope off due water leaks.

This is at Kipling March 07
13033351315_9a8de83360_b.jpg

13033349165_be7ece7a6b_b.jpg

Looks like a subway station on Hoth lol

Its done on GO trains all the time, but it is actually encouraged. its also very safe to do so, the trains are designed for easy mid travel movement between train cars.

Crossing between cars on NYC Subway,LIRR and MNCR trains: There are differences...

It's completely normal. MTA officers generally won't say anything either, despite signs saying not to.

JBG,Ehlow and TM: I noticed the mention of the unlocked end doors of NYC Subway trains and I will add that since December 2005 crossing
between cars regardless if you are in a station or if the train is in motion is a violation - a summonsable offense which can result in a fine...

The rule states that only a NYC Subway employee or a NYPD Transit Bureau officer can direct riders to use these end doors when necessary
and these are for the most part left unlocked in case of emergency...Those riders that are caught are also subject to arrest because when
you are stopped you will be asked for ID and a routine criminal check will be run to see if there are any warrants for an arrest...

Having those end doors unlocked can help when riders need to get away from someone menacing them or others and if a Officer sees
people fleeing a car or cars they may be able to find and correct a problem occurring on board...

In any case I have noticed that far less NYC Transit Subway riders will use these end doors and knowing the law I avoid it myself
unless it is absolutely necessary...

INH: There is no restriction to cross between cars on the LIRR or MNCR similar to GO Transit's allowing riders to use end car doors
if it is necessary...but what you need to do is watch where you are and only cross between cars where it is safe...for example on
trains not in motion or on straight track sections while moving - switches and curves can present its own set of problems...

LI MIKE

JBG,Ehlow and TM: I noticed the mention of the unlocked end doors of NYC Subway trains and I will add that since December 2005 crossing
between cars regardless if you are in a station or if the train is in motion is a violation - a summonsable offense which can result in a fine...

The rule states that only a NYC Subway employee or a NYPD Transit Bureau officer can direct riders to use these end doors when necessary
and these are for the most part left unlocked in case of emergency...Those riders that are caught are also subject to arrest because when
you are stopped you will be asked for ID and a routine criminal check will be run to see if there are any warrants for an arrest...

Having those end doors unlocked can help when riders need to get away from someone menacing them or others and if a Officer sees
people fleeing a car or cars they may be able to find and correct a problem occurring on board...

In any case I have noticed that far less NYC Transit Subway riders will use these end doors and knowing the law I avoid it myself
unless it is absolutely necessary...

INH: There is no restriction to cross between cars on the LIRR or MNCR similar to GO Transit's allowing riders to use end car doors
if it is necessary...but what you need to do is watch where you are and only cross between cars where it is safe...for example on
trains not in motion or on straight track sections while moving - switches and curves can present its own set of problems...

LI MIKE
NYC is planning to get trains similar to that of the Toronto Rockets.

Back