News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 449     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The definition of RT has always been somewhat misleading. There's nothing inherently rapid about it. "Protected mass transit" would be an accurate name.

Many over-value the importance of the speed of the vehicle once you get on the vehicle, but don't necessarily give as much importance the frequency and reliability.

However frequency and reliability matter a lot in terms of travel time as well, so actual door-to-door speed is affected by that.

If you have high frequency you wait less for the vehicle on average. Waiting for the vehicle is often the worst experience when taking transit. This is multiplied when you have to transfer, and we have a system where most do have to transfer at least once per trip.

If reliability is bad, then you have to start your trip early because you need buffer time in case the vehicle is late or slow. Sometimes your trip takes 10 min, other times 20 min, so you have to assume the worst to get there on time. Traffic is a leading cause of unreliability both in how long you wait for the vehicle (because they are stuck in traffic and bunched up), your vehicle going slower than normal (stuck in traffic), and short turning (because of bunching).

That's why being protected from traffic, as you mentioned Tiger Master (feels like I'm in a Kung Fu movie typing that lol), is so important. That combined with high frequency and good speeds is the ultimate combo!!!! YAY!

Make TTC free overnight during cold alerts, Councillor Josh Colle urges

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201..._cold_alerts_councillor_josh_colle_urges.html

Josh Colle, who is a TTC commissioner, brought a motion forward last week asking the transit provider to study the issue along with Toronto Public Health and the city’s shelter, support and housing department.

overnight_bus.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

LOL are there even railroad crossing barriers on that Chicago crossing? Or at least a stop sign or something?

Speaking of "rapid" transit, I've watched some videos of NYC subways on elevated tracks, and they seem to go very very slowly:
[video=youtube;fARnpNBxUks]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fARnpNBxUks[/video]

Wow. I had no idea something like that existed. What is that? Does it normally run there?

It looks like we have the solution to all our transit problems. Run subways with pantographs on the streets of Toronto! This fulfills Ford's promise to build subways while avoiding all the costs & construction of tunnelling.

The 60x numbers haven't existed in over 13 years.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

If I'm remembering correctly, our rapid transit routes are numbered 1,2,3 and 4. Until recently the Commission only used the RT route numbers for internal use. This is why there are no bus routes with those numbers.

When RT routes #5,6,7 and 8 open in the next few years the Avenue Road, Bay, Bathurst and Brodview bus routes will need to be redesignated

From this link on
Train speeds: Do PATH and NY Subway measure up?

PATH trains are rated to travel 70 mph but they apparently never exceed 55 mph, and they only go that fast in the 5-mile stretch between Journal Square and Harrison. New York subway trains can reach 55 mph as well, but rarely get over 30 mph.

The average speed of the PATH (excluding the five mile stretch between Journal Square and Harrison) is just over 18 mph. The average speed of the NY Subway is the same.

18 mph is about 28 km/h.

The Toronto subway and LRTs will go faster. I've been on the PATH and NYC subway trains, and the Toronto subway trains go faster than that in the Union Station loop.

Last edited:
From this link on
Train speeds: Do PATH and NY Subway measure up?

18 mph is about 28 km/h.

The Toronto subway and LRTs will go faster. I've been on the PATH and NYC subway trains, and the Toronto subway trains go faster than that in the Union Station loop.

Speaking of the importance of frequency, PATH is 24 hours but after around midnight it drops down to one train every 30 min. I was trying to get back to New Jersey from 11th street station I think and the first train that came was so full I couldn't get on. Great, a 30 min wait in the station. I ended up taking the train in the opposite direction to Times Square in order to get back to New Jersey. Really long journey.

I'm not too surprised that NYC subways run so slowly. The other thing though is places are generally closer together in NYC due to the extreme density.

If I'm remembering correctly, our rapid transit routes are numbered 1,2,3 and 4. Until recently the Commission only used the RT route numbers for internal use. This is why there are no bus routes with those numbers.
Until recently? I believe the 1, 2, 3, and 4 have been shown on the legend of the Ride Guide for years (long enough, that I think it only used to be 1, 2, and 3). And the 1 and 2 signs have been at St. George station at the Bedford entrance for nearly 20 years.

Oh wow. You're correct. I've never studied the Ride Guide before :)

The use of the numbers at St. George station can likely be attributed to the TTC's trial of the Paul Arthur signage in the 1990s.

Speaking of that... Any thoughts on how our new signage compares to the Paul Arthur design? The station pictograms from the Authur design were a nice touch, but our new signs are far more readable.

Oh wow. You're correct. I've never studied the Ride Guide before :)

The use of the numbers at St. George station can likely be attributed to the TTC's trial of the Paul Arthur signage in the 1990s.

Speaking of that... Any thoughts on how our new signage compares to the Paul Arthur design? The station pictograms from the Authur design were a nice touch, but our new signs are far more readable.
If the Paul Arthur signs were used, I always wondered what would the pictogram for Bessarion station be.

Back