News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 728     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

I have seen a few of the gates broken. It's mostly people getting out of the subway vs in. Once they require a tap out it will solve some of this as people will have to slow down anyways.

I also see that they are mainly the accessibility gates...which are noticeably slower than the other gates (probably due to the weight of the larger panels)

Aren't there camera's near the gates? I am also 100% supportive of arresting/fining the culprits for damaging property. (both as a penalty and a deterrent for others)
If it's intentional damaging, yes they could be arrested. Most of the time, it's just pissed off people trying to get out and pushes on the gate. TTC realize people are so used to pushing turnstiles, they just push on gates too.

This means the gates really are flimsy and are yet another example of the TTC's inability to get anything right. There were clearly other gate options. For example, it's unlikely anyone could damage a London Underground / Overground gate by pushing on it. Yes, I know they have tap out.

This means the gates really are flimsy and are yet another example of the TTC's inability to get anything right. There were clearly other gate options. For example, it's unlikely anyone could damage a London Underground / Overground gate by pushing on it. Yes, I know they have tap out.

The gates are German - I doubt anything they produced are intentionally that way. It does seem a little lacking on analyzing and testing how they are used in the Toronto context however.

AoD

I boarded the subway at Summerhill today, using a day pass, and saw something I haven't seen before--there's no turnstile by the collector booth at Summerhill, the accessible faregate is the closest one to the collector and the screen reads 'Entry', and it was opening when people approached just like they do when you exit. I've heard about this as having been planned, and apparently the collectors might have a 'stop' button if someone goes for it without paying, but it's the first time I've seen this in person. Neat.

Donlands is doing the same thing right now as well. They put one of those non-velvet rope things up in front of the collector and funneling people who don't want to swipe/tap through to the closest fare gate, which opens automatically.

Once again, people are jumping the gun in declaring it done. Should have just waited till Sunday and declared it then. 'Merry Christmas from the TTC!'

Because self-declared deadlines matters for the inevitable "mission accomplished", except when it really matters like finishing construction.

AoD

It truly is a Merry Christmas, everyone! No more tokens and turnstiles. We are in the late twentieth, early twenty-first century. Even at Donlands.:)

Ok. I'll stop harping on this late twentieth century thing.

Now to get people tapping off so we can find out where the hell people are going and speed these things up because I watched a senior citizen walk towards one yesterday, and push it because it didn't swing out of his way quickly enough.

Presto at Donlands.jpg

Attachments

• Presto at Donlands.jpg
    Presto at Donlands.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Now to get people tapping off so we can find out where the hell people are going and speed these things up because I watched a senior citizen walk towards one yesterday, and push it because it didn't swing out of his way quickly enough...

The vacuum tubes have to warm up. :D

PP1.jpg

Back