News   May 15, 2024
 250     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 2.3K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

Probably until the fare gates are complete at that entrance.
What more is there to do?

The contractors have all left. All that is left to do is build a fence to prevent people from walking around the fare gates IMO. Right now there are just stanchions.

After Presto's tweet, Coxwell and Leslie station are the remaining last 2 stations to get presto gates after Chester and Woodbine went offficially live

Last edited:
Leslie had all gates installed and half powered on as of Monday .. shocked it's not live yet.

After Presto's tweet, Coxwell and Leslie station are the remaining last 2 stations to get presto gates after Chester and Woodbine were offficially went live
Sadly the hiding behind brown paper and drywall thing is still going on at Coxwell, so no idea whether things might happen soon or whether this is the arrangement for a while as they get elevator work done in addition to the gates.

Sadly the hiding behind brown paper and drywall thing is still going on at Coxwell, so no idea whether things might happen soon or whether this is the arrangement for a while as they get elevator work done in addition to the gates.

Last I heard, Coxwell's gates were not even close to the Dec 31 deadline so they are installing a temporary standalone Presto reader (like they have at the crash gate at Union and frequently deployed during its renovations) to meet the deadline. Looks like it will definitely be the last station, but being a standalone temporary reader, one would hope they can get it done pretty quickly. Not long left considering the holidays.

"Apparently TTC customers are pushing through Presto fare-gates (which open automatically). Forcing them can damage them"

https://twitter.com/moore_oliver/status/811298432228925440

You'd think the gates would be designed so they aren't damaged when people push through them

well to be fair, these gates are german hence european. you can give them the benefit of the doubt that during testing they didnt really account for the forward momentum generated by a typically sized north american and the girth of their midsection..... ;)

The pushing might be due to the fare gates not opening as fast as people expect them too. With the old gates, you can swipe your metropass and instantly barrel your way through the gate, even when running. With these new gates there's a slight pause between swiping and opening. I'm sure there are people in a rush baralleling through these gates, expecting them to unlock faster (especially if they've never been used before).

The pushing might be due to the fare gates not opening as fast as people expect them too. With the old gates, you can swipe your metropass and instantly barrel your way through the gate, even when running. With these new gates there's a slight pause between swiping and opening. I'm sure there are people in a rush baralleling through these gates, expecting them to unlock faster (especially if they've never been used before).
... or the reader is not working!

This is what I think. People will get used to it apparently but a lot of people have years of experience dealing with instantly pushing on metal turnstiles to move through, not waiting a split second for them to open automatically.

If your payment didn't work on the old ones, you ran into it and got a charlie horse. On these ones you bust right through and break it.

You know what they say about things made in the past vs today...

I boarded the subway at Summerhill today, using a day pass, and saw something I haven't seen before--there's no turnstile by the collector booth at Summerhill, the accessible faregate is the closest one to the collector and the screen reads 'Entry', and it was opening when people approached just like they do when you exit. I've heard about this as having been planned, and apparently the collectors might have a 'stop' button if someone goes for it without paying, but it's the first time I've seen this in person. Neat.

I boarded the subway at Summerhill today, using a day pass, and saw something I haven't seen before--there's no turnstile by the collector booth at Summerhill, the accessible faregate is the closest one to the collector and the screen reads 'Entry', and it was opening when people approached just like they do when you exit. I've heard about this as having been planned, and apparently the collectors might have a 'stop' button if someone goes for it without paying, but it's the first time I've seen this in person. Neat.

The gates I saw at Kennedy just have the accessible gate left open, but the new gates are a few feet ahead of where the old ones were, so riders have to pass thorough the new gates before reaching the fare box, so there is really nothing to stop someone from just walking through. I presume the plan is to have riders buy a single ride RFID ticket from a vending machine before going through the gates.

I have seen a few of the gates broken. It's mostly people getting out of the subway vs in. Once they require a tap out it will solve some of this as people will have to slow down anyways.

I also see that they are mainly the accessibility gates...which are noticeably slower than the other gates (probably due to the weight of the larger panels)

Aren't there cameras near the gates? I am also 100% supportive of arresting/fining the culprits for damaging property. (both as a penalty and a deterrent for others)

Back