News   Jul 26, 2024
 810     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.7K     3 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

Typical late season push.... They

Typical late season push....they realized by mid year that they are really far behind and they just threw in everything to meet their targets. Hence the above avg failures and glitches that still haven't been sorted out. Kinda reminds me of a certain company in northern Ontario that are producing a large number of a certain piece of equipment for a certain city that did the same thing last November just to get that check mark. Now that the new years here I wonder if they will sort their schedule out or if they're going to overrelax and suddenly realize they f_cked up in August

That's not what people were talking about Preto uses went up in the summer months possibly do to more stations having the new fare gates at them plus also people seeing it as being the new reality . As for Bombardier keep the talk about the new streetcars to that thread and just because we are in the second week of the month and haven't got one yet doesn't mean that they are going to miss their target. Even if they do I don't think the TTC is likely to just go and cancel the project completely so we can wait around until another company can start production of them they need new ones now.

Last edited:
That's not what people were talking about Preto uses went up in the summer months possibly do to more stations having the new fare gates at them plus also poel seeing it as being the new reality . As for Bombardier keep the talk about the new streetcars to that thread and just because we are in the second week of the month and haven't got one yet doesn't mean that they are going to miss their target. Even if they do I don't think the TTC is likely to just go and cancel the project completely so we can wait around until another company can start production of them they need new ones now.

Do you realize how often you type "poel" instead of people?

Is there any other locations where we might see these Presto Gates installed outside of the TTC? Wouldn't it make sense for the Mississauga transitway and UP Express Bloor and Weston?
I would think the TTC will be the only place you will find them as don't forget they are the only place to have a subway system. They are mainly being installed for the tap out feature to help with fare evaders, that and whenever they change the fare structure on the system.

The people who haven't changed over to PRESTO are probably the same people who fill up with gasoline and then walk in to pay with cash at gas station. And they wonder why it takes forever.

The others use the machine at the pumps to pay with debit or credit and go on their way. No waiting at the cashier line.

Not everyone likes to whip out their debit and credit cards everywhere they go. I do not use debit and credit cards at the gas station because it would encourage me to spend more than what I need to spend.

The people who haven't changed over to PRESTO are probably the same people who fill up with gasoline and then walk in to pay with cash at gas station.

Or they need to use a Metropass (a majority of the TTC's rides come from Metropass and GTA Pass holders), or they just can't be bothered to go find somewhere to buy a Presto card (just like the TTC seemingly can't be bothered to sell them). Another issue is that Presto still isn't "truly" rolled out - if you take a downtown express bus or a TTC bus in York Region, you need to pay at least partially with cash or a paper ticket/token.

Not everyone likes to whip out their debit and credit cards everywhere they go. I do not use debit and credit cards at the gas station because it would encourage me to spend more than what I need to spend.

How exactly does using a card make you spend more than you need to at a gas station? Fill up to the amount you want, pay, and leave. If anything, it helps you spend less by not having to go inside where the gas bar is designed to get you to make impulse purchases.

And if you're the type that wants to put a set dollar amount of gas in their car, why bother? It just means you'll be back to put more gas in sooner than later. Might as well fill the tank and just divide the cost by the amount of time that tank lasts you to budget for it.

How exactly does using a card make you spend more than you need to at a gas station? Fill up to the amount you want, pay, and leave. If anything, it helps you spend less by not having to go inside where the gas bar is designed to get you to make impulse purchases.

And if you're the type that wants to put a set dollar amount of gas in their car, why bother? It just means you'll be back to put more gas in sooner than later. Might as well fill the tank and just divide the cost by the amount of time that tank lasts you to budget for it.

You can also set a maximum dollar amount when you first insert the credit card.

Last edited:

Ah, but if one pays with cash they can get $0.02 of free fuel. The pump still dispenses by the penny, but the penny is gone and the consumer can come out on top with hard currency. Works out to about a tablespoon.

As for filling the tank. I'd say it depends. With a full tank you're effectively carrying around dead weight. But one could also put in enough to get them where they're going, then hold out until a) prices fall or b) they find themselves well outside the GTA where prices can be lower by a decent margin.

As for filling the tank. I'd say it depends. With a full tank you're effectively carrying around dead weight. But one could also put in enough to get them where they're going, then hold out until a) prices fall or b) they find themselves well outside the GTA where prices can be lower by a decent margin.

Getting OT here, but gasoline has a density of about 0.77 kg/L and most cars have a 40-50L tank, meaning that a full tank of gasoline in most cars will weight no more than 38.5kg, which is negligible in terms of fuel economy, so that's not a reason. Also, one cannot be sure that prices will fall--prices could always go up. And for the rounding argument, that's assuming you manage to pump *exactly* $--.-2 or $--.-7 of gasoline, if you overshoot you might have to try many more times to get that amount, indeed if you ever do; additionally, $0.02 at minimum wage is approximately 6.3 seconds so you're really wasting your time, or you really have an extremely low opinion of yourself, if you're spending several minutes for $0.02/6.3 seconds of savings.

How exactly does using a card make you spend more than you need to at a gas station?

Not everyone can resist the ultra-supreme-deluxe car wash with Rain-X and the rainbow foam. Also, in some places (but not Toronto) gas is more expensive when you pay by credit.

Back