News   Jun 10, 2024
 272     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.9K     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 5.2K     8 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

Right. Once all stations have PRESTO, then they'll begin converting the early PRESTO reader stations to new fare gates. By mid 2017, the Metropass and tokens will begin to be phased out so all existing turnstiles that work with them will have to be replaced. I wonder if they can install faregates on the rest of the entire system in just half a year given how long it's taken for just a portion of them in the second half of 2016.

Right. Once all stations have PRESTO, then they'll begin converting the early PRESTO reader stations to new fare gates. By mid 2017, the Metropass and tokens will begin to be phased out so all existing turnstiles that work with them will have to be replaced. I wonder if they can install faregates on the rest of the entire system in just half a year given how long it's taken for just a portion of them in the second half of 2016.

I don't think we'll see passes and tokens be eliminated in 2017. Early-mid 2018, maybe. With all of the issues with 'out of order' readers, software glitches, people being double charged, fare inspectors' machines being dubiously functional for checking Presto taps, approximately 95% of all self-serve reload machines being down at any given time, and the fact that they need vending (currently nonexistent--I've heard even the few pilot ones using the existing pass vending machines have been discontinued?) and reload machines (working, hopefully) in every single station in addition to replacing token/pass turnstiles+auto entrances with faregates...can't imagine them making 2017.

It'll be nice just to finally have Presto everywhere by the end of the year. Buses and streetcars are fully covered, the next thing I'd expect and like to see is for all remaining subway entrances that don't have it to get the faregates (St George, King at Melinda, Union Brookfield, etc.).

I don't think we'll see passes and tokens be eliminated in 2017. Early-mid 2018, maybe. With all of the issues with 'out of order' readers, software glitches, people being double charged, fare inspectors' machines being dubiously functional for checking Presto taps, approximately 95% of all self-serve reload machines being down at any given time, and the fact that they need vending (currently nonexistent--I've heard even the few pilot ones using the existing pass vending machines have been discontinued?) and reload machines (working, hopefully) in every single station in addition to replacing token/pass turnstiles+auto entrances with faregates...can't imagine them making 2017.

I think that has been made official, but communication on it has been awful. I can't even get an email response from the MDP office as to the logistics of its fate, I guess I'll have to call.

They've done a surprising amount of them so far, see the list. Some of these stations are probably further along but nobody has reported it, like Castle Frank, Chester, Ellesmere etc. which are scheduled for the Fall. This doesn't include second entrances, but there are usually just 1-2 gates there.

• *Bathurst
  • *Bay - Operating (Spring 2016)
  • Bayview - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Bessarion - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • *Bloor-Yonge
  • *Broadview
  • Castle Frank (Fall 2016)
  • Chester (Fall 2016)
  • Christie - Operating (Summer 2016)
  • *College
  • Coxwell - Installing (Winter 2017)
  • *Davisville
  • *Don Mills
  • Donlands - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • *Downsview - Installing
  • Dufferin - Operating (Summer 2016)
  • *Dundas
  • *Dundas West
  • *Dupont - Operating (Summer 2016)
  • Eglinton - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Eglinton West - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Ellesmere (Fall 2016)
  • *Finch
  • Glencairn - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Greenwood - Installing (Fall 2016)
  • High Park - Installing (Summer 2016)
  • *Islington
  • Jane - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Keele - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Kennedy (Fall 2016)
  • *King
  • *Kipling
  • *Lansdowne - Operating (Summer 2016)
  • Lawrence - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Lawrence East
  • Lawrence West - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Leslie (Fall 2016)
  • *Main Street - Operating (Spring 2016)
  • McCowan - Oprating (Fall 2016)
  • Midland - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • *Museum
  • North York Centre - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Old Mill - Operating (Summer 2016)
  • *Osgoode
  • Ossington - Operating (Summer 2016)
  • Pape - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • *Queen
  • *Queen's Park
  • Rosedale - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Royal York - Operating (Summer 2016)
  • Runnymede - Operating (Summer 2016)
  • *Scarborough Centre
  • *Sheppard-Yonge
  • *Sherbourne - Operating (Spring 2016)
  • *Spadina
  • *St Andrew
  • *St Clair - Operating (Summer 2016)
  • St Clair West - Installing (Summer 2016)
  • *St George
  • *St Patrick
  • Summerhill - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • *Union
  • Victoria Park - Installing (Fall 2016)
  • Warden - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • *Wellesley - Operating (Spring 2016)
  • Wilson - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Woodbine - Installing (Fall 2016)
  • *York Mills
  • *Yorkdale
*Presto Readers Installed

Please feel free to correct anything that's not accurate, the TTC doesn't seem to have an official list of which are complete anywhere so I'm only going off eyewitness reports.

They've done a surprising amount of them so far, see the list. Some of these stations are probably further along but nobody has reported it, like Castle Frank, Chester, Ellesmere etc. which are scheduled for the Fall. This doesn't include second entrances, but there are usually just 1-2 gates there.

When are the downtown stations getting new gates?

When are the downtown stations getting new gates?

Probably not until the rest of the system has them. The first priority is obviously to make Presto available at every station, and the second priority is to make it available at every entrance. Once that's been done they can start putting new fare gates in the stations that already have Presto.

Probably not until the rest of the system has them. The first priority is obviously to make Presto available at every station, and the second priority is to make it available at every entrance. Once that's been done they can start putting new fare gates in the stations that already have Presto.
Yes, this was all discussed many pages ago.

I understood the sequence, but I was just wondering if there is a date for when the work will begin on those stations.

There are no firm deadlines. Even the 2017 plan was only ever just a plan, not a firm commitment. Basically, they'll see how long it takes to do the more urgent work, then they'll start with that once they're ready.

I understood the sequence, but I was just wondering if there is a date for when the work will begin on those stations.

No, but I'd assume it'll be mid-to-late 2017. Seems like all the automatic entrances are being converted in early 2017.

Since no one else has reported on it, the work at Chester is most certainly underway - hoarding has been up since at least on Monday to allow for work on removing the terrazzo for running conduit.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That is impressive! I guess I just assumed few stations have fare gates since I haven't come across many which is because they're being installed on the very last stations to get PRESTO, which in turn one assumes are the ones less used.

On the other hand, let's not forget that almost every station that received the new fare gates, have other entrances with turnstiles. Those too will need to be replaced. It's going to take quite some time to redo that entire list for the secondary entrances.

No, but I'd assume it'll be mid-to-late 2017. Seems like all the automatic entrances are being converted in early 2017.

Not mid-to late 2017 because the plan is to have all the turnstiles replaced with fare gates by mid 2017, after which tokens and the metropass will begin phase out.

Every station will have PRESTO before the end of this month. If they continue the momentum they have now, they'll turn their attention back to the busiest stations (the original downtown PRESTO stations) right after. I'm guessing Union is first and that the rollout will follow the original PRESTO reader rollout. Do we have that list handy in the PRESTO thread?

Not mid-to late 2017 because the plan is to have all the turnstiles replaced with fare gates by mid 2017, after which tokens and the metropass will begin phase out.

Every station will have PRESTO before the end of this month. If they continue the momentum they have now, they'll turn their attention back to the busiest stations (the original downtown PRESTO stations) right after. I'm guessing Union is first and that the rollout will follow the original PRESTO reader rollout. Do we have that list handy in the PRESTO thread?
I think the latest plan now is Presto will replace everything by this time next year. I think they are a bit behind on the fare gate project.

Over the weekend, they boarded off the entrance to Coxwell and have opened a temporary entrance from the West side of the bus bay. They've also started to remove the turnstiles. So, construction has begun on schedule

Some of these stations are probably further along but nobody has reported it, like Castle Frank, Chester, Ellesmere etc. which are scheduled for the Fall.

I can confirm that Castle Frank is now live. Fare gates were all open today.

Back