News   Jul 26, 2024
 811     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.8K     3 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

It's actually less invasive than that as the platform area already exists so no earth or structural pieces will be removed for Eglinton subway station modifications.

They will move the current mechanical area from the North end of the platform to a new room (existing South end passenger space?), then shift the passenger space north into the previously occupied area. This is better centred with the new LRT station beneath the subway.
Does the mechanical area extend far enough north to be over the Crosstown line? I heard that the platform extension would be longer than that and as a result they would have to remove the pocket track north of Eglinton Station. Last I heard they had not decided whether to close off the south end of the platform or just leave an extra long platform.

Maybe they could spread out the crowds on the (centre) Line 1 Eglinton subway platform by having southbound trains stop at the southernmost end of the platform and northbound trains at the northernmost end. I just don't know the length of the platform extension and thus how much overlap of SB and NB boarding areas there would be.

Eglinton Station Update:

Seems to be a working Presto self service machine. Screen is on but I didn't try it myself.
Gates look close to done but still covered in shroud.

Power's on.

R4VgAzy.jpg

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but I was at Downsview station (soon to be Sheppard West) today and they are putting in new fare gates at it.

Reactions: PMT
I think it's the first of the existing Presto-enabled stations to get the new gates.
I wonder if they are almost finished with the stations that don't have it yet so they are moving to convert the remaining stations. I also wonder when they will do the secondary entrances at the ones that they have done already. Like for example Victoria park station has two other entrances that still have the old high gates at them.

I wonder if they are almost finished with the stations that don't have it yet so they are moving to convert the remaining stations. I also wonder when they will do the secondary entrances at the ones that they have done already. Like for example Victoria park station has two other entrances that still have the old high gates at them.
Eventually all secondary entrances will have them and TTC will complain about all the fare evasion associated with them. It's just a matter of time.

So are gates "one way"? As in are certain gates set to let people in and the rest only for exiting?

I don't like playing the game where you charge at a gate at the same time from different directions.

So are gates "one way"? As in are certain gates set to let people in and the rest only for exiting?

I don't like playing the game where you charge at a gate at the same time from different directions.
No they can be used both ways. Eventually you will have to tap off for them to open but for now you can just walk through them

Back