News   Jul 12, 2024
 720     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 666     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 295     0 

TTC: New Articulated Buses (In Delivery, Novabus)

Will the new buses roll out one at a time, or all at once?

One at a time since there is only one ready now. The rest will roll out based on what is every ready to go in 2014.

9001 and 2 supposed to have arrive, but not ready yet if so. Most likely in Jan 2014.

Same thing is going to happen with the streetcars in 2014, starting Aug. More than one will hit the 510 line then.

More: http://torontoist.com/2013/12/scene-passengers-take-first-ride-on-ttcs-new-articulated-bus/

20131220-New-TTC-articulated-bus-4246-Photo_by_Corbin_Smith.jpg

20131220-New-TTC-articulated-bus-4223-Photo_by_Corbin_Smith.jpg

Just saw three of these articulated buses today by Sheppard Station around 5PM. They drove north on Yonge Street, west on Pontyz and then north on Beecroft. They parked for 5 minutes just south of the intersection of Beecroft and Sheppard before heading west on Sheppard.

I was hoping they would use these buses for the shuttle bus service on Sheppard, but no such luck. I guess they are still testing these buses.

Does anyone know how many of them are now in operation? I saw #9003 heading out of Bathurst a few days ago but haven't seen anything else.

Once more of them are deployed, I'd be curious to know from anyone who takes one of the bus routes regularly:
Is there any difference? Is it less crowded or more reliable in any way?

I've ridden the buses a few times and I noticed the back doors are really slow to open and close. That may have a bit of an impact on dwell times.

I've ridden the buses a few times and I noticed the back doors are really slow to open and close. That may have a bit of an impact on dwell times.

The doors on the Toronto Rocket subway cars were the same, slow opening and closing. Seem to be better now. The mechanics must work have done their magic over time. Maybe it'll be the same with those buses, if they can shift those mechanics over to do their magic on the buses as well.

I noticed the same thing on the Nova Artics in Halifax. Even after at least 2 years of being in service, they seem to have the same problem over there.

Hopefully our mechanics can do a better job at tuning the door timing.

Hopefully TTC is smart and they can send a message to the manufacturer before the rest of the order is delivered. I find all TTCs buses especially the low floor buses to have extremely slow rear doors. Its probably a spec by the TTC and not a defect. I'm pretty sure it can be adjusted tweaking the governor or valve in the door...Thats if its air powered, unlike the new subway cars.

Last edited:
The speed of the doors is a result of two things - Nova's circuitry (they are notoriously slow to respond), and the TTC's own specs for the doors (5 seconds from the time they are opened until they close). Considering that the TTC has had those specs since 1998, I wouldn't hold my breath on any changes to speed them up.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The speed of the doors is a result of two things - Nova's circuitry (they are notoriously slow to respond), and the TTC's own specs for the doors (5 seconds from the time they are opened until they close). Considering that the TTC has had those specs since 1998, I wouldn't hold my breath on any changes to speed them up.

I have noticed though that the Orion VIIs' rear doors were originally really slow to close, but are now (at least feel) a bit better. One can certainly hope this can be fixed.

I have noticed though that the Orion VIIs' rear doors were originally really slow to close, but are now (at least feel) a bit better. One can certainly hope this can be fixed.

I've noticed that too. The Orion VII that are hybrid powered are much better than those Diesel powered.

Back