News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.5K     3 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 517     0 

TTC: Major Operational Issues (Various)

Overhead Upgrades

509 Harbourfront / Queens Quay - overhead upgrades​

August 23, 2024
Starting Sept. 3, the TTC will begin modernizing the streetcar power network on Queens Quay and Fleet St. Spanning almost three kilometres between the Harbourfront Tunnel and Strachan Ave., the project will involve the replacement and reconfiguration of overhead wires, as well as upgrades to the underground power systems along the corridor.

The approximately four-month project will be completed in stages, involving changes to streetcar service and the use of bus replacements. As part of the plan, harbourfront streetcars will be restored for Taylor Swift concert dates in November, with increased service on multiple routes to accommodate an influx of visitors to Toronto.

When complete early next year, streetcars along Queens Quay and Fleet St. will use an optimized and improved pantograph overhead contact system that is fully compatible with the TTC’s modern and growing fleet, enhancing the reliability of service along the waterfront. This work is part of a larger power upgrade program that included work on Spadina and St. Clair avenues this year.

I'm not sure how true this is? I remember getting from Adelaide to the Gardiner took me 55 mins at pm in 2019, in 2022 it was the same or worse. (hard to tell because they put in police to help with the flow) I haven't done the trip since then though!

Tolls are unrealistic (The liberals wouldn't even let us put them in!) The Ontario line is useless to anyone living west of Parliament tbh, and go doesn't even have 2 way or all day service on a lot of the lines!
Tolls are hard to do in Toronto since we have no alternatives . Focus should be to make transit and cycling work smoothly and then one can raise funds through parking tolls. Simply doubling the parking fees or putting a $20/day parking spot tax downtown core will do the trick.

Tolls are hard to do in Toronto since we have no alternatives . Focus should be to make transit and cycling work smoothly and then one can raise funds through parking tolls. Simply doubling the parking fees or putting a $20/day parking spot tax downtown core will do the trick.
That seem's unreasonable unless the core ends west of university and east of yonge? I think this is one of those issues you can't fix with most policy solutions because even Toronto proper is so damn big! Want to fix congestion? Mandate 1 day a week wfh for those who can, I go in the office 5x despite not needing to because "appearances" I bet 90% of other office workers in my boat are in the same spot

Did all the maintenance people retire and the new replacements are incompetent or we just didn’t backfill them and now rely on the few left to slowly fix it.

Maybe to avoid being yelled at by Leary, staff just didn't report on the problems they were seeing. The CEO sets a tone which trickles down...

Back