News   Aug 15, 2024
 431     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 626     1 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 738     0 

TTC: Major Operational Issues (Various)

There are definitely areas in the system which require more intensive and frequent maintenance (ie: the curves around Union Station and St.George). Other areas are more straightforward but yet the TTC has apparently had problems maintaining over the past year.

Or we put ads like this saying that we should pay to "improve" service which actually degrades on a daily basis:

View attachment 588435

Because guilt - not uncompromising enforcement - will lead fare evaders to pony up apparently - and then we have the joke ad right underneath it. Considerate commuters is definitely not a TTC thing.

AoD

My favourite is the "tracks are for trains" announcements -- as if this will cause the crack/meth enthusiasts or mentally unsound individuals hearing this to somehow think to themselves 'oh, yeah, I probably shouldn't run around on the subway tracks'.

You have to wonder who needed intervention more - said enthusiasts or those thinking these types of announcements would work. Ineffectual, suffocate you with kindness paternalism that is the TTC hallmark.

AoD

• Haha
Reactions: DSC
My favourite is the "tracks are for trains" announcements -- as if this will cause the crack/meth enthusiasts or mentally unsound individuals hearing this to somehow think to themselves 'oh, yeah, I probably shouldn't run around on the subway tracks'.
Reminds me when I had a friend from Vancouver visiting, didn't believe the TTC was as bad as people here complain. Then some kids dared each other to jump on the tracks lmao

1723741858672.png

i noticed a lot of the zones are above ground (Wilson to Glencairn, Davisville to Summerhill). is that coincidence? wondering what's going on here.
also trying to understand how the city/TTC have been able to dodge this from getting more attention (I know some articles are out there). if this spills into September, the delays will get much worse and likely more attention

If I'm not mistaken there is a maintenance schedule for the subway line correct? Which takes into the account the number of trains per hour, per month and what preventative maintenance is required to maintain status quo.

If the track is damaged as a result of something else then of course it would need to be repaired earlier. But if it's due to normal wear and tear then doesn't that mean that either you didn't fix it properly last time or your preventative maintenance schedule is flawed.

I'm sure that some of these things could be repaired sooner if the proper reasources are available. But the fact that they are not is another story. It should be days not months to fix these issues.

If I'm not mistaken there is a maintenance schedule for the subway line correct? Which takes into the account the number of trains per hour, per month and what preventative maintenance is required to maintain status quo.

If the track is damaged as a result of something else then of course it would need to be repaired earlier. But if it's due to normal wear and tear then doesn't that mean that either you didn't fix it properly last time or your preventative maintenance schedule is flawed.

I'm sure that some of these things could be repaired sooner if the proper reasources are available. But the fact that they are not is another story. It should be days not months to fix these issues.

Would they even have checked if the Line 3 derailment and the subsequent investigation laid bare the inadequacies of TTC maintenance practices? So the question - why didn’t they check before, if at all?

AoD

Ah very nice it's Line 4's turn!

And we can also see the slow order between Finch and North York Centre is back as well...the one the was supposedly cleared 2 weeks ago. Honestly what in the hell are these clowns doing?
My uneducated guess is that they 1) never fully addressed the problems last time the slow orders were implemented, 2) they are lacking employees due to summer holidays, 3) the TTC runs too much service for Leary’s liking so the system has to slow down and have frequencies of +10 mins like in Boston.

Regarding 2), the problem of available personnel is also what determines how subway shuttles are operated. If a lot of drivers want to take a weekend off (summer time/vacation) then number of buses available to run the shuttles goes down. In other words, subway shuttle operations is the Wild Wild West.

My uneducated guess is that they 1) never fully addressed the problems last time the slow orders were implemented, 2) they are lacking employees due to summer holidays, 3) the TTC runs too much service for Leary’s liking so the system has to slow down and have frequencies of +10 mins like in Boston.

Regarding 2), the problem of available personnel is also what determines how subway shuttles are operated. If a lot of drivers want to take a weekend off (summer time/vacation) then number of buses available to run the shuttles goes down. In other words, subway shuttle operations is the Wild Wild West.
I'm going with option 1) which has been a common theme throughout this whole fiasco.

Back