News   Jun 27, 2024
 266     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 504     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 319     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Interesting. Do you have any insight on how well signal priority will worth with ECLRT, FWLRT and ELCRT?

Yes, but I'm rather sensitive about side-tracking this thread. I took a quick look for a "Roads: Traffic Signals" thread but can't seem to find one.

Last edited:
This is UT. Sidetracking is what we do best. We had a discussion about languages on the TYSSE thread for days!

Yes, but there are also people trying to have an on-topic conversation here at the same time, and I don't want to get in the way.

In any case, I have continued this in the Streetcar and light rail signal thread.

Someone was saying today that 4407 is ready to be ship and there will be a gap before we see 4408.

The 5 cars were on 509 today, but a 20 minute gap between the first and last car. What new??

Got a few shots of 4406 and rode it.

Drivers are not happy with the fix wheels and they say they loose speed where curves come into play. Even the smallest ones. They said they will not get the speed up on St Clair as plan due to the wheels.

Starting with the next board change, 512 cars and some 511 will be store at the Ex.

4401 & 2 are in rough shape with duck take holding things in place and be very surprised to see them in the Easter Parade. One of the new ones will be there, so say the drivers.

The new cars have that squealing noise as they used the EX loop.

I doubt it - the articulation of the new trains and bogie arrangement is dictated by the shape and design of the train itself, there's no room to do anything different. It's all integrated. The wheels are fixed to the chassis of segments 1, 3 and 5. That determines the direction that those modules face (they are always tangent to the rails). 2 and 4 are suspended between them. There's no way at this point to make them pivot like they do on a CLRV, as then modules 1, 3 and 5 have no direction definition. The whole nature of the low floor thing is in big part attributed to the fact that the bogie doesn't need swing clearance, so the frame and floor moldings can be very close to the wheels and so on.

That being said it would have been neat to see an ICTS-style steerable axle arrangement.

I'm surprised that the TTC is complaining about this because it's used all over the world in lots of other applications. But G:Link (Gold Coast) did have similar noise/wear problems on curves, which were recently solved with special lubricants.

Kind of worries me a bit for KW as our route is quite... Circuitous.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Flexity Outlook have to negotiate the tighter curves of downtown Toronto streets, which is why the Outlook had to be build to the legacy standards. The Flexity Freedom does not, hence their network (Transit City, K W, etc.) is being to the vehicle standards, not the other way around.

Here's an article from back in 2013, on

Ed Tennyson: Streetcars use streets more efficiently

from this link:

Ed Tennyson
was a senior technical consultant, living near Washington D.C.. He was perhaps the most prominent U.S. public transport expert.

I'd hardly call Scarborough affluent, and if they had conservative views than its due to lowest common denominator oolicies. Eg tax cuts put money in you pocket, nevermind if you will ever have access to said tax cut and or the service cuts that will result

I call it correct that 4406 would be in service April 1 and in the Beach(es) Easter Parade

Parade at Ruessll Yard
[video]https://youtu.be/9rgeIsSMC4g[/video]

4406 Turning onto Queen St for the parade
https://youtu.be/10UIhr_SIUw

Are they tearing up college and spadina for the new street cars?
No, just routine track replacement at the intersection. Some gets done most summers ... wasn't Spadina/Dundas last year?

Looking at Steve Munro's recent article - http://stevemunro.ca/2015/03/15/ttc-2015-2024-capital-budget-streetcar-infrastructure/ it's the only major intersection being done this year. Though next year has a few. Bathurst/College, Lansdowne/College King/Charlotte, Adelaide/Charlotte, and the fun one will be King/Queen/Roncesvalles.

No, they're tearing it up to replace the intersection, like they've been doing for all the intersections on Spadina over the past couple years. It needs to be done regardless of what type of streetcars are running over it.

Also some track replacement around Spadina & Harbord and Spadina & Nassau.

I noticed just now that the streetcar loop inside Spadina station has also been walled off entirely with a hoarding - does anyone know if there's track work going on there as well? The TTC site doesn't mention it.

I noticed just now that the streetcar loop inside Spadina station has also been walled off entirely with a hoarding - does anyone know if there's track work going on there as well? The TTC site doesn't mention it.
In my previous post just above yours, if you go through Steve's article and the list of 2015 construction, it also includes Spadina Loop.

I certainly HOPE they are doing it now while the line is closed!

They've also taken to doing replacement of track near stops where there's a lot of wear during recent closures for major work - so presumably that's going on as well on Spadina.

Back