News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

There are no crossovers, there are no bay platforms to allow boarding and exiting on both sides. With the current system of loops only one side is needed. Why pay for double sided cars and lose seating when you only need one side.
While!!.....I guess having all the streetcars at one end due to various issues and no cars going the other way while pissing off riders is far better than being able to do a crossover from one track to the other and going back the other way sooner than later?? For special events where the line is cut off, you can reverse tracks at the point the line is cut, while maintaining services on both side of the cute line.

Loops take up a lot of expensive land as well cause squealing as the cars turn and this includes the new fleet.

As for crossovers, every system I have seen other than one, all have crossovers of various types along the routs at X distance.

As for loosing 4 seats, thats better than the US systems as well various Europe systems where more than 4 seats are lost to the point huge wide standing room only.

As for cost, until a real tender is bid on, its a guessing game at this time, but currently ranging from $4-$6 million. All BBD prices are based on outdated cost and sure BBD is happy one way that TTC didn't pick up the option as it would be loosing a lot more money than plan based on current cost fabricating them in Canada than Mexico.

It wouldn't be necessary to refleet all streetcars to add double end cars where it made sense to and where land for a loop can't be obtained. A double end car can go around a loop just fine. The more worrying thing is "mo' doors, mo' problems". But if you lose a door on one side I guess that car just has to run single direction/on loop only routes for a while!

^I am fine with loops, but.... double ended might address some of the operational problems that TTC has with the new cars, particularly the lack of layover space at Dundas West, Broadview, and Neville Loops. Just extend the track as a stub and more cars can lay over without creating a backup.

Too late to change that, I guess. I'm just really amazed (with hindsight) that no one really thought that issue out before ordering the new fleet.

- Paul

Too late to change that, I guess. I'm just really amazed (with hindsight) that no one really thought that issue out before ordering the new fleet.
Just because they didn't opt for double-ended streetcars, which cost more and would have less seats, doesn't mean that they didn't consider it. Dundas West isn't particularly constrained, and could be fixed. Neville Loops should never have more than 2 Flexity's there, and it seems very simple to make that fit. Broadview ... well, it needs some work. But even two in each bay isn't undoable. Quite frankly, the congestion in Spadina and Union are borth far worse - and double ended streetcars fix neither problem.

4575 was off loaded Monday and is now tracking.

4543, 4545-49 in the service bay.

No idea what is up with 4543, as its tracking show its in the lake for almost the last 2 weeks. It arrived April 29 and heading to be the longest car to enter service after being off loaded.

Last edited:
4546 (CQHU) and 4545 (CQNE) have enter service on 501

4548 Is up on St Clair Testing. The rest in the service Bay

Last edited:
4548 doing an in service testing on Queen as a 501 (501A).

4547 is ready to enter service on Friday by the looks of things.

4549 out testing on Queen.

4575 & 4543 in the service bay, but both in the lake per GPS. 31 days so far for 4543 and lack of testing for it.

4547 Has enter service on 504 (504A) and currently at Dundas W Station after Arriving May 21.

4543 Arrived April 29 and hasn't been seen since May 13 and that 35 days so far. Its now the longest any car has enter service since arrival.

4548 out in Long Branch

4549 & 4575 in the service bay.

4551 not tracking yet

4549 & 4575 in the service bay.
4575 just passed me a couple of times on Gerrard - going up and down it.

4550 was off loaded today
4551 is now tracking
4575, 4543, 4548 and 4549 in the service bay.
Expect to see 4548 and 4549 in service this week.
4575 is doing the odd test runs and not out long as the other cars. 4543 still MIA

Back