News   Jul 11, 2024
 4.3K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 73     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 345     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I've wondered if there was anywhere (Pearson? The Ex/Ontario Place? The Zoo?) where you could employ PCC/CLRV cars on private circuits by getting rid of the stairs and building level boarding platforms... that's if the CargoCLRV idea didn't pan out :D

^ I wondered the exact same thing in relation to Sheppard - could they convert it to CLRV use? Alas, if you look inside, you'll see that there's not enough vertical space between the raised floor of the streetcar and the roof. Even if they rebuilt the streetcars to move the doors upward, you'd bump your head on the curved top of the car. You need to drop down the stairs for there to be enough room to get out.

The TTC has their colour scheme going for them. Not exactly traffic calming, but distinctive.

I've always wished they'd brighten it up a little.

Blasphemy! I love the maroon-and-cream scheme.

PCC4.jpg

The current black, white and red is still not bad. It is a simplification of the older grey, red and black scheme introduced to replace the maroon-and-cream (though the colours varied since the 1940s, the scheme on the retained PCCs is the older, more striking version).

novelty

Sheppard - unless you continued above ground between Yonge and Downsview you couldn't use the existing tail tracks as there's no loop to turn the CLRV.

Re: colour scheme

They did! Their colours used to be maroon and cream, which I hated. I was thrilled when they went to red/black/white.

If I were redecorating the TTC I'd look for a nice classy maroon and a matching light cream colour. The current scheme is a bit too primary and contrasty. Besides, I don't find black to be particularly bright. For one thing, it makes it tough to see a bus at night.

It will be in front of the National Trade Centre, along with Bombardier's half-car mock-up that was also at Dundas Square.

Inside the National Trade Centre - clearance merchandise (what would the CNE be without crap you can buy anywhere to be hocked?)

Back to the colour scheme... I wonder where the TTC got the maroon/red-cream colour scheme from. Is it borrowed from Britain?

tram2.gif

Old London Transport tram

kmb-s3bl328-big.jpg

Hong Kong's KMB bus showing old red-cream pre-1997 colour scheme.

Nope. The maroon-and-cream scheme was a brightening up of the old Toronto Railway Company scheme, which used an even darker, chocolate brownish-red colour.

The maroon in the scheme lasted well into the 1960s, when the maroon was lightened to a more red colour. By 1983 or so, the grey, red and black scheme was introduced (which the streetcars still have), but for buses was later simplified to a white, red-stripe and black scheme in the 1990s).

And with that, this is post #1000.

Streetcar shopping in a budget crisis
While the city threatens subway shutdowns, it asks citizens to check out new buys
JEFF GRAY

August 15, 2007

Even as the city goes through a budget crisis, potential bidders on the massive contract to replace the Toronto Transit Commission's aging streetcar fleet are gearing up.

During the Canadian National Exhibition, from Aug. 17 to Sept. 3, two of the streetcar manufacturers expected to bid on what will be North America's largest light-rail contract will have life-size mock-ups of their high-tech vehicles on display.

Representatives of Germany's Siemens and Montreal-based Bombardier will be on hand to answer questions about their sleek light-rail cars, on public view near the Direct Energy Centre, not far from the human cannonball.

Some Ex-goers may find the midway, where the rides actually move, more interesting. Others may wonder how the TTC can afford to spend more than $1.4-billion on 204 new vehicles as the city's budget crisis forces it to consider drastic measures such as shutting the Sheppard subway.

TTC vice-chairman Joe Mihevc points out that the city's problems are not with its capital budget, which covers infrastructure and new transit equipment and is financed largely by borrowing, and with help from the provincial and federal governments. The crisis is in the operating budget, where the city faces a $575-million shortfall next year and by law cannot run a deficit.

Plus, the TTC has little choice but to move ahead with its streetcar order, as the current fleet is approaching 30 years of age and replacements are needed, he said.

Unlike its controversial $674-million subway car purchase last year, which was handed to Bombardier without competition to protect Canadian jobs, the TTC has committed to allowing several companies to bid on the streetcar deal.

Toronto plans to buy 204 new light-rail vehicles at a cost of as much as $1.4-billion. It could need more than double that if its $6-billion "Transit City" plan, which includes new light-rail lines across the city, is built. The first new cars should arrive by 2010.

The TTC used the Ex to debut its iconic Presidents' Conference Committee streetcars, predecessors to the current fleet, in 1938.

Back