News   May 17, 2024
 3K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I'd say the CLRVs are more unique than you give them credit for, but the only reason for that is that hardly any cities kept streetcars into the 70s and 80s, in North America anyway. New streetcars/light rail is fundamentally different than our current ones (low floor, etc.), so it wouldn't really be possible to make them look the same. With new streetcars, so many cities have them now that it would be pretty hard to make a unique look.

I agree. If you painted the 15-30 year old streetcars in Boston, Philly, and Belgium in the same livery a the CLRVs I think you would find them not so unique. The bright red is unique. Paint the CLRV green and you would swear you were in Boston.

Minneapolis half-full scale model from Dundas Square display:

LRT1.jpg

LRT2.jpg

LRT3.jpg

LRT4.jpg

LRT5.jpg

LRT6.jpg

LRT7.jpg

I seriously hope the don't use a model that even remotely resembles that bulky looking behemoth. Please use a design closer to those that are in Europe. Thumbs down on tough SUV styling on a Streetcar/Tram/LRT.

I had the opportunity to see that beast in action. I was walking home on Thursday evening, when the flatbed truck carrying the streetcar drove past on Yonge, just south of St. Clair. It was absolutely gigantic, and would completely overpower any street that it's on.

What was more interesting though was watching the truck make the turn from northbound Yonge onto westbound St. Clair. If you're familiar with the area, you know that this is a difficult manouver even for cars, let alone a 50 foot truck with a beast of a streetcar ontop.

If they do that, they should have some way of checking fare when transferring between the streetcar and subway; it would be too easy to just get on one stop before the station and ride into the "safe" area to grab a transfer.

I agree. Though, in a pinch you could really boost fare inspection so that people know that there's a good chance they'll be checked as they ride on the streetcar in to the station or as they exit the vehicle.

I think that it would be beneficial to start work today on curbside ticket machines that issue tickets/transfers with a magnetic stripe and ticket gates to enter the subway for ASAP implementation on 501 Queen and 510 Spadina at Osgoode, Queen, and Spadina (and maybe Union) stations.

^^Blech! If that is what the TTC chooses to replace the present streetcars then I wish them good luck, because I will have lost all faith I have in them and I am going to buy me a car..!!

p5

LRT6.jpg

With sliding doors, I wonder how they're going to alert cars that the doors are open and people are exiting. The current doors have little stop signs on them.

I liked the car on display @ Dundas Sq. I don't know why you're all so concerned. I'm just wondering why they're considering replacing the iconic red, white and grey colours.

The car is a model provided by Bombardier to illustrate what one of their designs looks like. It's not what the TTC is going to choose and is not provided as an example of what the new streetcars will be. Consider this Bombardier's version of a test drive at a car dealership; you're not required to buy the vehicle, you don't have to choose the same options as are in the test car, and you don't have to choose the same colour as the test car is painted.

MetroMan said:
I liked the car on display @ Dundas Sq. I don't know why you're all so concerned. I'm just wondering why they're considering replacing the iconic red, white and grey colours.

Those colours have nothing to do the TTC, obvously. That livery is for Minneapolis I think.

^^Blech! If that is what the TTC chooses to replace the present streetcars then I wish them good luck, because I will have lost all faith I have in them and I am going to buy me a car..!!

p5

That's up to you. Probably everyone else will prefer the low-floor streetcars with more room and air conditioning.

Back