News   Jul 17, 2024
 8     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 447     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 982     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

At least the Flexity didn't push the older car onto its side, which has happened before:

There really needs to be a LEGO game featuring Toronto LRVs. Perhaps a Toronto set for LEGO Dimensions would be fun. Since a Manhattan free-roam mode had been made for that game, a Toronto free-roam mode should be much easier. Yes, it would even be possible for a Flexity Outlook to run along Fifth Avenue (though not in real life)!

There were switch maintainers out this morning walking cars through the switch. It's also the case that the special work in this area seems pretty worn - the depth of the track seems pretty low compared to other areas. Perhaps that contributed to the derailment given the car would be riding on the flange through that and would perhaps have an easier time climbing up and over with a worn track.

From the looks of it is seems like the Flex did what's called splitting a switch were essentially well going through the switch part of the truck goers the wrong way through it. I saw it ahppen once in New hamsphire one time with one of the engines for the conaway senic railroad ( a tourist railroad https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway_Scenic_Railroad ) it was running around the tarin with another engine behid and the front one split a switch and jummped the track. They ended up having to use bits of wood under the wheels to help re rail it hours later.

Screen shot 2016-08-18 at 12.26.34 AM.png

None of this would have happened if we weren't stuck with 40 year old streetcars thanks to Bombardier.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-08-18 at 12.26.34 AM.png
    Screen shot 2016-08-18 at 12.26.34 AM.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 896
The streetcar was disabled. These things are so old that the break down all the time. They won't even work at all when winter comes. That was my point.
Whatever all I want saying is it doesn't matter it could have happened with two alrvs or a clrv too the age of the car being pushed means nothing. Yes they are older than they should be and are being replaced slower than they should be but blaming an accident on them isn't right.

Whatever all I want saying is it doesn't matter it could have happened with two alrvs or a clrv too the age of the car being pushed means nothing.

Sure it does.
Older -> higher probability of breaking down -> higher probability of having to be pushed -> higher probability of derailment.
We should be well on the way to having those old s**tboxes put out to pasture permanently. Instead we are stuck with having to deal with this BS for who knows how many more years than expected.
Thanks Bombardier... yet again.

Sure it does.
Budget Cuts -> Less Maintenance -> higher probability of breaking down -> higher probability of having to be pushed -> higher probability of derailment.

We are stuck with having to deal with this BS for who knows how many more years than expected.
Thanks Mayor Tory.

Fixed that for you.

Ok thats just dumb .....Tory had nothing to do with this order and Bbr's incompetence. If you want to put blame on a mayor Miller's the one who
should be crucified for virtually sole sourcing Bbr

I don't think you read his entire post. He was blaming Tory for cutting the TTC maintenance budget, which (allegedly) may have caused the streetcar to break down.
Budget Cuts -> Less Maintenance -> higher probability of breaking down -> higher probability of having to be pushed -> higher probability of derailment.

I don't think you read his entire post. He was blaming Tory for cutting the TTC maintenance budget, which (allegedly) may have caused the streetcar to break down.
fair enough.....but the budget cuts to maintenance this year wont be felt immediately so one cannot pin this breakdown to Tory's cuts. Besides as we all know these streetcars are well past their shelf lives anyways...

There were switch maintainers out this morning walking cars through the switch. It's also the case that the special work in this area seems pretty worn - the depth of the track seems pretty low compared to other areas. Perhaps that contributed to the derailment given the car would be riding on the flange through that and would perhaps have an easier time climbing up and over with a worn track.

It's unlikely the switch had anything to do with it. They managed to derail a Flexity that was pushing a C at Russell Carhouse on a curve without any switches while still in testing.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The system is
Any word on why it derailed at Russell?

Physics. All three bogies/trucks are powered in a Flexity. If you are pushing something and if you are on a curve, and if the front bogey loses traction while the middle and rear do not, then the last three segments of the streetcar will push forward and push segment two, and that will then torque the first segment which since the bogies are fixed; will derail it. It dies not have to be a defective or worn track.

Last edited:
then the last three segments of the streetcar will push forward and the push segment two and that will then torque the first segment which since the bogies are fixed will derail it.
I must be thick today, as I can't make out the red type above. I think there are something like four subjects and six predicates in the complete sentence above. I'm no grammar stickler, but what are we saying here?

Back