News   May 09, 2024
 674     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 499     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 850     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I'm very surprise it went into service since it been in the shop for at least 4 days or more with very little testing on line.

It got all of the same testing and break-in that all of the other cars received. They did seem to run it more at night than most of the previous cars, however.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

What does this mean?
It means all cars in the future will be using batteries to run that will be recharge at various point along the line. This is already taking place around the world with various sections been run on batteries and the rest on the over head. As batteries improve overtime, the need for overhead will become a thing of the past.

Once you remove the overhead, you save manpower by not having crews to fix the overhead nor material for it. Streets sight become clean looking than they do today.

Come next year, you only have to go to Detroit to see cars run on batteries south I-75 since there is no overhead there now nor when the line start service. Dallas has a setup like this now along with a few others systems, with new lines being built this way. One system is converting their whole fleet to batteries now.

This recharging on route for buses is also taking place today with some having at various points along the line to having them at the ends only. The end ones require about 10 minute to recharge the battery.

It means all cars in the future will be using batteries to run that will be recharge at various point along the line. This is already taking place around the world with various sections been run on batteries and the rest on the over head. As batteries improve overtime, the need for overhead will become a thing of the past.

Once you remove the overhead, you save manpower by not having crews to fix the overhead nor material for it. Streets sight become clean looking than they do today.

Come next year, you only have to go to Detroit to see cars run on batteries south I-75 since there is no overhead there now nor when the line start service. Dallas has a setup like this now along with a few others systems, with new lines being built this way. One system is converting their whole fleet to batteries now.

This recharging on route for buses is also taking place today with some having at various points along the line to having them at the ends only. The end ones require about 10 minute to recharge the battery.

Yes, but you mentioned "batteries in these cars or the next replacements". Where have you seen that some of these cars will be battery powered? This is the first I'm hearing about that even being an option for the TTC.

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet, but 4423 enter service today and is currently on 510 northbound.

That about 14 days from arrival to in-service.

For those who don't follow it, there is a Twitter account called "Flexity Tracker" that tweets out updates about Flexity deliveries/them entering service. Not an official account but decently accurate. https://twitter.com/FlexityTracker

Is there a way in the standard mobile apps, such as NextBus or RocketMan, to determine which vehicle is scheduled for which stop? I know that there are Flexitys (Flexities?) running on the 514, but I never seem to catch one in to work or back home.

Is there a way in the standard mobile apps, such as NextBus or RocketMan, to determine which vehicle is scheduled for which stop? I know that there are Flexitys (Flexities?) running on the 514, but I never seem to catch one in to work or back home.

You can use TransSee http://doconnor.homeip.net/TransSee/FleetFind.php?a=ttc&lowrange=4400&highrange=4450&refresh=001 but it's a bit rudimentary compared to some transit apps. Great for flexity hunting but as your transit app for your commute overall, not so much.

I use TTCWatch on the iPhone and it's great. When you're in the map view, if you tap the icon of a vehicle, its number pops up--and flexities are streetcars numbered 4400+. That way you can tap the next few cars to see if they're flexities on 514, and if not, just grab the next 504.

You can use TransSee http://doconnor.homeip.net/TransSee/FleetFind.php?a=ttc&lowrange=4400&highrange=4450&refresh=001 but it's a bit rudimentary compared to some transit apps. Great for flexity hunting but as your transit app for your commute overall, not so much..
That's my favourite, as it provides schedule information - which once you are familiar with a route, gives you a good idea which cars are going to be short-turned, or park at the terminal for a while.

On a mobile (or desktop), to see car numbers, my favourite is simply http://totransit.ca/ - click on a vehicle to see the car number. The Flexities are a brighter red than the CLRV/ALRVs

Yes, but you mentioned "batteries in these cars or the next replacements". Where have you seen that some of these cars will be battery powered? This is the first I'm hearing about that even being an option for the TTC.

I have ridden battery power trams in Europe for sections with no overhead. I already noted places in the US that have these cars now. Its the future.

Apple Partners With South Korean Company to Develop Hollow Batteries for 'Project Titan' Car Project

Back