News   Jul 19, 2024
 531     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.3K     5 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 829     2 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Overhead all looks complete at the top end, and all the way down to Eastern at least. I haven't walked around the south end for a while, but it was well underway, even at the loop, back in November.
All the overhead wiring on Cherry from King to the loop is strung (and has been for several weeks); not sure if it actually has power yet. As the 514 service is not starting until June 19th there really is no reason why the TTC would bother moving the barricades etc to test it just yet.

All the overhead wiring on Cherry from King to the loop is strung (and has been for several weeks); not sure if it actually has power yet. As the 514 service is not starting until June 19th there really is no reason why the TTC would bother moving the barricades etc to test it just yet.
It would be a more efficient location to turn the 504 Broadview and Parliament cars than the Parliament/Dundas/Broadview routing. Better yet, they could stockpile all those 504 Parliament buses on Sumach/Cherry in the ROW, so that they'd not block traffic on King, and also provide service for the Sumach stop (the new streetcar stop on Sumach just south of King), as there is frequently people left standing at the current Sumach (and River) stops on westbound King during morning peak, even when streetcars are coming as scheduled every 4 minutes.

Reactions: PL1
The wiring must have been strung after I was last there a couple weeks ago. Power most likely be turn on at the beginning of June if it starting the 19th.

Was reading a press release and these are 44m cars, 7 section.

"Alstom said the order will support jobs at the assembly plant in Annaba, which is able to produce five new trams a month." Its a new plant as well.

Thunder Bay is producing "What" per month and supposed to do for 29m?? Shaking head.

It would be a more efficient location to turn the 504 Broadview and Parliament cars than the Parliament/Dundas/Broadview routing. Better yet, they could stockpile all those 504 Parliament buses on Sumach/Cherry in the ROW, so that they'd not block traffic on King, and also provide service for the Sumach stop (the new streetcar stop on Sumach just south of King), as there is frequently people left standing at the current Sumach (and River) stops on westbound King during morning peak, even when streetcars are coming as scheduled every 4 minutes.
Effective June 19th the 514 will run from Cherry loop to Dufferin Loop; I think there will no longer be any scheduled short-turns on the 504. The 504 buses taht now run to Parliament will no longer exist. There will be a new 121 bus route running along Front and The Esplanade from Mill to Fort York.

Effective June 19th the 514 will run from Cherry loop to Dufferin Loop; I think there will no longer be any scheduled short-turns on the 504. The 504 buses taht now run to Parliament will no longer exist.
Yes I agree. I was answering the question of why they not need to wait until June to move the barricades, tow the automobiles, and test the loop.

It makes me wonder what they are doing with them all. The other day I counted 8 out on 510 and two on 509. we have 15 they can use for service. Are they trelly using 5 for driver training?
Right now, there's 13 cars out - 11 on 510, and 2 on 509. All except 4406 and 4413.
And 14 cars out today - all except 4413.

Re: streetcar service Cherry to Dufferin loops... Did they fix the track on Dufferin? I remember walking by there on King St a couple of years ago, looking down Dufferin St towards the loop, and seeing visibly sunken/out-of-alignment rails.

Re: streetcar service Cherry to Dufferin loops... Did they fix the track on Dufferin? I remember walking by there on King St a couple of years ago, looking down Dufferin St towards the loop, and seeing visibly sunken/out-of-alignment rails.
They completely rebuilt them from King to the loop 3 years ago, in 2013. Not sure about north of King - I don't walk there often.

I have a theory about the Outlooks, but I could just be wishful thinking.

Is it possible that for the past month or so, bombardier has been stocking up on completed cars? (say two new ones and a ready 4402).

If they had say 3 or 4 cars completed and ready to ship, they could ship them every 4 days as promised starting in March for a little while, and pray they can speed up production to always have like 1 or 2 ready to ship whenever CP is ready. Right now, if they run into even the smallest issue when building a new car, their image gets shattered when they have to wait longer than expected to finish it and have it picked up by CP.

These past couple months could have been a "standby" period to build up a decent inventory of cars.

Wouldn't TTC's on-Site representative at the plan have noticed, and be reporting back to TTC.

Then perhaps I am just wishful thinking. But one would wonder what makes them think they can flick a magic wand in March to have a car ship out every 4 days, based on all the other broken promises in the past. I would assume there is some management strategy in place to actually deliver this time, and having an inventory would seem like a safe bet from at least an image perspective.

Right now, if they run into even the smallest issue when building a new car, their image gets shattered when they have to wait longer than expected to finish it and have it picked up by CP.

Their image is only shattered with us sidewalk observers who are analysing in terms of days. I'm sure the TTC would take far more kindly to a few cars sooner.

- Paul

Their image is only shattered with us sidewalk observers who are analysing in terms of days. I'm sure the TTC would take far more kindly to a few cars sooner.

- Paul

I meant more broadly, i.e. "yes 1 every 5 days"....then it turns into a month....two months....., but yeah, in fairness we are rather critical of timing lol.

Back