News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 465     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Do we have an updated rollout? Assuming Bombardier keeps to the revised schedule, when will we see new streetcars on King? I recall hearing that they reprioritized King because of the Liberty Village crush.

Only four new streetcars are out this morning (4405 through 4408). Yet another disgraceful showing by the TTC.

Just saw 4400 and 4408 in service. So there are 9 in operation? How many cars does it take to replace all cars on the Spadina route?

I saw 4407 and 4408 on King and on the Queensway eastbound at Roncesvalles again on Sunday, and then 4408 in service on the 510 along QQW this morning. Is the testing period getting shorter as the newer ones arrive?

How's something like this even possible. and how long before people start blaming the intersection?

That's already started - people are assuming the rebuilding of the intersection put the two sets of tracks too close together, etc.

As to how it happened: there are some photos around taken from above the scene that show a lawn chair at the shelter, which suggests there was a TTC employee stationed there to move the switch manually to enable the 510 to turn into QQ loop. It may have still been set that way when an eastbound 509 came along and the driver, quite reasonably assuming it was set to continue straight on, found the car turning as the Flexity was passing in the other direction.

Make that five -- 4400 decided to show up.
Still, it is frustrating that the other two are MIA.
5 out of 7 is disgracing and frustrating? I'm surprised there are that many out between training, testing, and maintenance.

What's frustrating is the ignorance of some riders with unrealistic expectations. With only 7 streetcars, and one damaged when it was hit by a CLRV the other day, you aren't going to be see much more than 4 or 5 out. Particularly now that there's only one prototype left for training.

How is the switch state communicated to the driver? Is it purely visual looking at the roadway? Or is there an electronic indicator in the cab that shows the switch state.

This seems like one of those very fundamental situations that should be built into the control logic of any switching system. Namely, switches/signals should never be permitted to exist in a conflict state. I'm glad no one was hurt.

How do you know that 13 doesn't already include the spare allocation?
Because staff told me on Wed.

Until there is a least 20 or so cars here to handle 509 & 510, 510 will remain mix with 511 going into 2016.

Lack of cars will be the way until the games begin, since TTC most likely want all cars service and ready for full use with no training taking place with them, other than 4401. When 4409 gets here 4401 will make the return trip and been seen in 2016 as a production car along with 4402.

I think I saw somewhere that there was a possibility of a couple of them being put on 511 during the pan am and para pan games is that still happening or are they just all staying put on 509 and 510?

The current timetable does have them on 511 as well. I'm surprised though, as I'd think there'd have to be a major communication campaign tied to the using the buttons on the rear doors to open them in mixed traffic, and how one safely gets to the streetcar. And I'm not sure the middle of the Pan Am games is the time for that.

My guess is that we won't see them on 511 anytime soon. On the other hand since when did TTC do things that make sense ...

The current timetable does have them on 511 as well. I'm surprised though, as I'd think there'd have to be a major communication campaign tied to the using the buttons on the rear doors to open them in mixed traffic, and how one safely gets to the streetcar. And I'm not sure the middle of the Pan Am games is the time for that.

My guess is that we won't see them on 511 anytime soon. On the other hand since when did TTC do things that make sense ...
I don't know when 511 became POP, but only a few drivers are using all doors. I thought it was 2016.

The new cars are supposed to be on 511 for the games only and will resume to current cars after until there is enough to start running the new ones in 2016.

"IF" and I mean "IF" TTC does have 27 cars by years end, you may start to see some on 511. You need 2 cars for training and that leaves 25 cars. Staying with the 15% spare ratio which is high for these cars, that leaves 21 for service. If 510 becomes 100% new car, that leave 7 cars to be split between 509 and 511. You could get away with 3 cars on 509 and put 4 on 511 until spring when 509 becomes all new cars.

By summer 2016, you will start to see the odd car on other routes that are schedule to get them a year late.

Like you said, this s TTC and sense doesn't mean a thing to them. Wouldn't be surprise to see them on King by winter if the intersection get done this year.

As for 4408 in service now, not surprised after hearing Andy speak twice last week about getting cars into service faster like the TR's.

My understanding was that only 509 and 511 were going to be LFLRV during the games because the Ex is a games venue needing accessible transportation but there are no venues along 510. I wonder if this will end up being finessed like the Carlton temporary venue bus with all available LFLRVs being on 509.

Sending 4402 back just before the games was a very odd call though if the training schedule can't be met with only 4401. It does point up the disadvantage of Bombardier not having a facility in Toronto to do post-delivery work, or better still to have located the damn line at the MSF as is happening in Ottawa for an order a sixth the size of our 204.

My understanding was that only 509 and 511 were going to be LFLRV during the games because the Ex is a games venue needing accessible transportation but there are no venues along 510. I wonder if this will end up being finessed like the Carlton temporary venue bus with all available LFLRVs being on 509.
Well given the number of LFLRV's available, you might be waiting quite a while for an accessible one if they spread them out among the lines.

Back