News   May 13, 2024
 184     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.1K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3.2K     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

How is that possible when the ALRV is basically two 3/4 sections of a CLRV put together? The truck centres are the same on both cars (7,620 mm), and the back end of an ALRV appears to be identical to the back end of a CLRV. In fact, the diagrams for both cars show that the distance from the centre of the last truck to the end of the car is 3,823mm. How can an ALRV have longer tail swing?

I think the actual issue is that the tail swing on an ALRV is not within sight of the operator when leaving those loops, unlike a CLRV.

Visibility is the issue - the tail swing of an A is virtually the same as that of a C. On the couple of occasions where they have used A's down at Union Station, they have needed to place a supervisor or a light-duties operator on the platform to keep people clear.

This isn't a problem with the Flexities, as they have a bunch of cameras around the ends of the units to allow for just such a situation.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

This isn't a problem with the Flexities, as they have a bunch of cameras around the ends of the units to allow for just such a situation.
Do the Flexities swing as much? The impression I've had watching is no ... but I haven't really thought about it.

Visibility is the issue - the tail swing of an A is virtually the same as that of a C. On the couple of occasions where they have used A's down at Union Station, they have needed to place a supervisor or a light-duties operator on the platform to keep people clear.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Smallspy, what would the TTC have to do to get a ALRV out of Spadina Station if it were stuck in there? I ask because from what I've heard, the CLRV and possibly the ALRV are too weak to push an ALRV out of the Spadina Station tunnel.

Do the Flexities swing as much? The impression I've had watching is no ... but I haven't really thought about it.

They don't swing as much, no, but they do have some out swing on curves.

Smallspy, what would the TTC have to do to get a ALRV out of Spadina Station if it were stuck in there? I ask because from what I've heard, the CLRV and possibly the ALRV are too weak to push an ALRV out of the Spadina Station tunnel.

Spadina was built to allow a C to push a disabled A out of it if necessary - notice the different grades on the ramps to the south of the station? As well, the clearances of the tunnels are enough that the brakes can be manually cranked off if necessary.

Union Station, on the other hand, is so tight in terms of clearances that it can be difficult or impossible to crank off an A in the tunnel. And the grades are such that an A would have difficulty pushing a disabled A up out of the tunnel, nevermind a C.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Union Station, on the other hand, is so tight in terms of clearances that it can be difficult or impossible to crank off an A in the tunnel. And the grades are such that an A would have difficulty pushing a disabled A up out of the tunnel, nevermind a C.
What do the Flexities have then? Simply more power? (even with just a single pole?)

So, looks like 4405 was put on a train, has it arrived yet?

Also, taking bets for 4406 - I'm going to go with after the pan-am games...maybe October 3rd...

Also, taking bets for 4406 - I'm going to go with after the pan-am games...maybe October 3rd...
Reports elsewhere out of Thunder Bay, is that 4406 should be about a month away, and 4407 is just behind 4406. Maybe they've finally ratcheted up their line to one a month.

What do the Flexities have then? Simply more power? (even with just a single pole?)

The Flexities were designed from the outset to be able to push a disabled brethren up the grade, or any grade, on the system.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

AC traction, 6 powered axles, modern control systems, automated sand application, more weight on each axle.....need I go on?
Yes, please do! I'm fascinated at the technology of it!

You'd think then that these things would have more acceleration than a CLRV. The impression I had standing next to a 306 operator tailing one of them doing testing, is that they don't, with the operator questioning if the new cars would be able to meet the current overnight 306 schedule, that the CLRVs can do.

Reports elsewhere out of Thunder Bay, is that 4406 should be about a month away, and 4407 is just behind 4406. Maybe they've finally ratcheted up their line to one a month.

Maybe winter camping in a provincial park on the way.

winterCamping_12-1024x679.jpg

Attachments

• winterCamping_12-1024x679.jpg
    winterCamping_12-1024x679.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 790
Yes, please do! I'm fascinated at the technology of it!

You'd think then that these things would have more acceleration than a CLRV. The impression I had standing next to a 306 operator tailing one of them doing testing, is that they don't, with the operator questioning if the new cars would be able to meet the current overnight 306 schedule, that the CLRVs can do.

Perhaps it has to do with trolley pole vs pantograph.

This new streetcar that was testing panto sure seems to be flying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kcfA_TxohI

Bigger car needs more power to accelerate as fast, perhaps the trolly pole just cant give it

Perhaps it has to do with trolley pole vs pantograph.

This new streetcar that was testing panto sure seems to be flying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kcfA_TxohI

Bigger car needs more power to accelerate as fast, perhaps the trolly pole just cant give it

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a trolley pole. They were used on 100mph interurbans in the Midwest with no issues. And because of the improvement in electronics and control systems, a Flexity at full power is drawing only slightly more than an ALRV.

The TTC is selling it as a "we need to do it because the trolley poles can't handle the strain", but the reality is that they've wanted to upgrade the network to use pantographs for over 30 years now. The new cars are simply providing the justification to the City of Toronto budgeting process to do it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back