News   May 13, 2024
 81     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 534     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 634     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Considering that Toronto and the TTC for that matter can't complete any infrastructure or construction project on-time or on-budget, why should we expect anything better from Bombardier.
Though the City is certainly far from perfect you need to remember that almost all projects are actually tendered to private companies - Eastern Construction for QQ, Bombardier for streetcars and subway cars, many companies for road projects. The City itself actually carries out very few large projects these days and often even the supervision is contacted out as with QQ and Eastern.

We are screwed.

Not really... you (Toronto) have a fleet of CLRV's and ALRV's that have lots of life left in them! Kitchener Waterloo is really screwed, if they delay the order of FLEXITY Freedom LRV's for ION/Crosstown. We (KW) have no fleet yet. Our 14 trains must arrive on time in late 2016.

Not really... you (Toronto) have a fleet of CLRV's and ALRV's that have lots of life left in them! Kitchener Waterloo is really screwed, if they delay the order of FLEXITY Freedom LRV's for ION/Crosstown. We (KW) have no fleet yet. Our 14 trains must arrive on time in late 2016.

They have been running buses on the 504 king bus route because they are retiring old ones (they are literally falling apart), without new ones to replace them.

They have been running buses on the 504 king bus route because they are retiring old ones (they are literally falling apart), without new ones to replace them.
No ALRVs or CLRVs have been retired. They are still running about the same number as before. This is evident from the TTC service summaries.

What really happened is about a year or so ago, TTC quietly increased the 504 streetcar service, as there were a lot of extra streetcars available, with all the various replacement buses for construction (501, 502, 503, 509, 510, 511, etc.), and knowing that by the time they'd need the full fleet again this fall, that they'd have lots of new Flexitiys available. However, a lot became only 3, and now they are a dozen or so streetcars short, so hence the buses on 504.

You try taking the streetcar to work on a cold winter day and say that you enjoyed the ride. They are freezing cold, snow comes in through the windows and doors! This is not the kind of transit Toronto deserves, and they gotta go now.

You try taking the streetcar to work on a cold winter day and say that you enjoyed the ride. They are freezing cold, snow comes in through the windows and doors! This is not the kind of transit Toronto deserves, and they gotta go now.
I guess buses have to go as well based on your comments.

A big different between the current fleet and the new ones for streetcars. The current fleet lack heat and AC and only have to look at the drivers to see how bad it is with them using paper and other material to stay warm.

Streetcars offer a better smooth ride than buses. They also can deal with the snow better than buses.

OH!! you want subway and they can be cold at time as well, but you need to live to 300 to see a system of them for this city. It most likely will take a few more life cycle before 100% complete. You are better off driving if you want to be warm all the time.

2022 will be the year we see the final 204 car and 2025 for the other 60.

Last edited:

I took the 504 for 20 years. They're heated perfectly well, you can close the windows, the folding doors protect somewhat from the wind/snow when open. By far my favourite form of public transportation.

Is this a joke? It is so not true.

I took the 511 home late last night and it was damn cold outside. But it was beautifully comfortable inside the streetcar.

Or was I hallucinating, khristopher?

Just help the conductor shovel some coal into the streetcar's stove, if you want to be warm. And sit near it.
20111114-streetcar-coal-1931-s0071_it8251.jpg

And in summer, just sit out in the open for the breeze.
Mimico-Streetcar.jpg

Attachments

• 20111114-streetcar-coal-1931-s0071_it8251.jpg
    20111114-streetcar-coal-1931-s0071_it8251.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 749
  • Mimico-Streetcar.jpg
    Mimico-Streetcar.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 706
Last edited:
I don't find that bad on cold winter days! It's far better than freezing to death in my car ... by the time I get it out, and then by the time it heats up! The streetcars are well heated. I don't find that much coming through the windows (unless someone decides they want them open). Yes, a lot of cold air can come through the doors when they are open - this is hard to avoid on any streetcar, bus, or even many restaurants!

It's the torrential rain that seems to be a bigger issue, with the leaking windows, you can get quite wet!

Is this a joke? It is so not true.

I took the 511 home late last night and it was damn cold outside. But it was beautifully comfortable inside the streetcar.

Or was I hallucinating, khristopher?
When I took the 501 to work over the past few winters on Queen East, the streetcars were almost always freezing. Many times there wasn't even any heat coming out of the radiators. Particularly the ALRVs in the back.

Streetcars (and subway trains) are stored outside. Buses are generally stored inside garages. Guess they could store the streetcars inside the tunnels or underground loops when it's really cold. But it hasn't been really cold yet.

Back