News   Aug 07, 2024
 422     1 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 679     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 484     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Doesn't say what that delay will be though. Kind of strange.

Just speculating, but I wonder if the strike affected things more than is being let on - especially on the supply chain side...I would imagine that they stopped taking shipments of parts - both for logistical reasons (there is no-one there to receive them) and practical reasons (there is no more space to put large parts)...if they stopped receiving parts, it's logical to assume that potentially the builders of those parts stopped building them because in theory they weren't being paid anymore for them, or potentially they just realized they could make more money by shifting production to other parts with little or no complaint from the client because they didn't need them right away...

The challenge with ramping back up production if suppliers are making other parts would potentially take longer to rectify...and one would hope that the TTC contract had some sort of clause regarding these situations and expectations for a timely return to production...

Just speculating,

This. We have no idea what's going on. And that in itself, beyond the delays, is a problem. Why aren't th TTC and Bombardier being up-front and communicative regarding what the hell is going on?

As the ultimate pit chasers of these vehicles, don't we have a right to know?

and one would hope that the TTC contract had some sort of clause regarding these situations and expectations for a timely return to production...

This would assume a level of intelligence at the TTC that is difficult to identify in the best of times, let alone in eventualities like this situation we're in. I'm willing to bet there are no such clauses whatsoever and we're up the creek withiout the proverbial paddle.

According to Steve Munro on Saturday: "Car 4404 entered revenue service on 510 Spadina just before 6:00 am today. This also marks the introduction of Presto! on the Toronto surface network. Later today, 4400 should join 4404 in service, and by Wednesday, December 3, 4403 is expected to be on the street as well."

Doesn't say what that delay will be though. Kind of strange.
Article is poorly researched and written. The first version I saw yesterday said there was only going to be 104 of these vehicles!

I assume it's simply a reference to that we know they haven't yet hit the target of 3 streetcar deliveries a month yet, given that it's almost 3 weeks since the last one arrived on November 10, and there's no sign of 4405 yet. If it takes 3 weeks for TTC to test and put each vehicle in service, they should be 2 more vehicles here already.

On the bright side, it only took 3 weeks, which means there weren't any major issues with 4404!

According to Steve Munro (from link):

Delivery of additional Flexities from Bombardier has been slow because the TTC is insisting that quality control at the plant be improved, and they will not accept cars only to have them fail in Toronto during testing. The TTC is also working with Bombardier to get the production and delivery rate up to a higher level so that the conversion of routes to Flexity operation can get underway properly.

Where is your proof? The article did not say that. Are we just supposed to believe you?

Assuming that 4404 goes into service next Monday, Dec. 1, that means it took 20 days (from Nov. 11) from arrival in Toronto to service. It takes 20 days to travel the (ridiculously) necessary 600 km? That's a bit of a joke.
Well I guess with 4404 on 510 today is the proof you where looking for and ahead of my "Looks like 4404 will be in service on Spadina next week" statement.

With the 3 cars on line now, how bad will line management be not to run all 3 cars is a row like they do for the first 2?

Seen both cars following each other either of Spadina or QQ.

Where is management to allow both cars playing follow the leader in the first place?? Doesn't help accessibility riders who have to wait an hour for a car to show up when running in two's.

Last edited:
Im confused...

and by Wednesday, December 3, 4403 is expected to be on the street as well."

Wasn't 4403 already in service?

So do we have all of the following currently in service on Spadina?

Or has 4403 been sent back?

Well I guess with 4404 on 510 today is the proof you where looking for and ahead of my "Looks like 4404 will be in service on Spadina next week" statement.

I don't know you, or what you do. You are some guy on the Internet. And I'm just some guy on the Internet.

Do you work at the TTC?

Just because you say something doesn't mean everyone should believe it.

Anyway I'm sorry to derail the thread in this way. I'm glad to finally see some action with new streetcars. The delivery schedule is still extremely far from the schedule us riders (slash taxpayers) were lead to believe and to me someone needs to be held accountable.

I don't know you, or what you do. You are some guy on the Internet. And I'm just some guy on the Internet.

Do you work at the TTC?

Just because you say something doesn't mean everyone should believe it.

Are you new here? Drum has been a reliable source for years around here when it comes to transit projects. He's very involved with various municipalities and transit providers in the GTA.

We talk about slow delivery from Thunder Bay and its the Bombardier way of doing business these days.

Vienna, Austria just place an order with Bombardier for 156 34m 5 section
Flexity car with delivery between 2018 to 2026. They are being built in Bombardier Vienna plant.

It going to take almost 3 years to get the first one and about 1-2 per month. Must mean building a prototype first before production to explain the the long lead time for the first one.

Vienna had an option to buy more of the 150 cars they got from
Siemens that I rode on, but went out for a new tender as they weren't happy with them.

This one of the longest delivery time frame I seen in some time.

These cars will replace most of the high floor cars that Vienna has now.

Not Andy nor connected to any transit system. I am the Flash, The Transit Advocate.

This one of the longest delivery time frame I seen in some time.

Not anywhere near as close to this stuff as you are but I would suspect that delivery times around the globe (and for all manufacturers) will get stretched as the resurgance/boom in LRV type transit proceeds. With more and more cities opting for this type of transit and only a finite number of manufacturers/plants....it has to lead to a delivery backlog....no?

Back