News   Jul 11, 2024
 4.3K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 85     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 349     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Therefore when it comes to price they have bargaining flexibility knowing that they have a longtime customer
There was no bargaining. It was a tender. Both Siemens and Bombardier were considered acceptable, and then it went price. Had Siemens provided a lower price, they'd have one.

Its all about business relationships.
That's not how an open tender works. That might have won Bombardier other products, but not the streetcars.

Could the higher cost from Siemens have been a result of the buy Ontario policy? Not having a plant here would mean coming up with the funds to build one, staff it, and run it. I'd assume those costs would have just been added to the cost per car and passed onto the TTC. Bombardier already having a plant would have not needed a premium on their price tag to make it happen.

There was no bargaining. It was a tender. Both Siemens and Bombardier were considered acceptable, and then it went price. Had Siemens provided a lower price, they'd have one.

That's not how an open tender works. That might have won Bombardier other products, but not the streetcars.

As I said before obviously in official public documents it says that bbr won because they were able to quote lower, but the point it why were they able to in the first place? Siemens in Europe is like bbr is to N.A. being they are large multinational corporations spanning several product portfolios however Bbr has the perpetual advantage because they are well established in canada and especially in Ont, not to mention they are a canadian sourced company to begin with, so for sure they undercut any day. Also even if they had gone with the quoted price on the bid whoever it is, that does not equate to the final price. There are also other ancillary costs such as fees for changes to spec and equipment, engineering and late fees. Remember these trains are not off the shelf, they are bespoke tailored to TTC's specs (especially the rockets) and essentially are engineered from a basic platform. Those costs are factored in after the contract is signed, and since they have a deep relationship with the gta, the city can be comforted with the fact that there will be some leniency on extras since they are dealing with longtime customers. Ever wonder why projects go over budget? Its extras, which is not covered in the contract. Sure bombardier won based on cost, but im also sure that it wasnt the sole reason even in an open tender behind closed doors...

As I said before obviously in official public documents it says that bbr won because they were able to quote lower, but the point it why were they able to in the first place? Siemens in Europe is like bbr is to N.A. being they are large multinational corporations spanning several product portfolios however Bbr has the perpetual advantage because they are well established in canada and especially in Ont, not to mention they are a canadian sourced company to begin with, so for sure they undercut any day.
First of all, it's a pretty globalized marketplace. Both Bombardier's train division and Siemens's are headquartered in Germany, both rely on assembly plants in places like Mexico to do much of their primary fabrication. Final assembly (in Thunder Bay or wherever) is a pretty small piece of the pie.

Siemens quite happily won the original (cancelled by O'Brien) contract for Ottawa's LRVs. Alstom (ie not Bombardier) won the subsequent contract for the present-day version of that project. This is with the same "Buy Canadian" rules that Toronto has. There aren't similar "Buy Canadian" requirements in Alberta, as far as I know, and Siemens has won basically every LRV procurement for Calgary and Edmonton over the last two decades.

Yes, BBD does get a head start of sorts over the competition so long as Ontario has the procurement rules it does, but Ottawa proves they're not guaranteed to win everything.

Also even if they had gone with the quoted price on the bid whoever it is, that does not equate to the final price. There are also other ancillary costs such as fees for changes to spec and equipment, engineering and late fees. Remember these trains are not off the shelf, they are bespoke tailored to TTC's specs (especially the rockets) and essentially are engineered from a basic platform. Those costs are factored in after the contract is signed, and since they have a deep relationship with the gta, the city can be comforted with the fact that there will be some leniency on extras since they are dealing with longtime customers. Ever wonder why projects go over budget? Its extras, which is not covered in the contract.
I'm sorry, but the more you write the more it becomes clear this is totally creative writing on your part you don't have the faintest clue how public sector procurement works.

TTC put out an RFP to both Siemens and Bombardier. The necessary requirements to permit the new streetcars to run on the existing Toronto track network was included in the specs (turning radius, climbing ability, uphill pushing ability etc.). Both Siemens and Bombardier separately and simultaneously went to their engineers and each pulled together a draft design that met those TTC performance specs. Both Siemens and Bombardier separately and simultaneously came up with a cost quote as to how much they proposed to charge in order to build their respective LRV. Both had to factor in a certain risk premium into their quote to account for the possibility that they would incur more costs than they expected as they took their designs from preliminary to final while continuing to meet the previously-set performance specs. The TTC then looked at their bids, confirmed both met specs, then opened the cost envelope and found that one number was a fair bit bigger than the other.

Got it? The "bespoke" customization costs were baked into both bid figures.

There are indeed potential change order costs that add up on top of the awarded contract figure, but those are for things the TTC didn't put in its specs and later decided it wanted. And, particularly in a billion-dollar public sector procurement, there's no such thing as "deep relationship" and "leniency on extras". This isn't buying a car from your brother in law. Bombardier owes it to their shareholders that they will push the customer as hard as possible to get the best possible deal for their business.

Even if someone at the TTC were to try and wink and handshake Bombardier for a cheap change order, there'd be no legal way for Bombardier to be rewarded for their fealty by getting a head start in a future procurement process, so why would on earth Bombardier consider it? They're a multi-billion $ private conglomerate, and so long as they're not actively blacklisted from TTC procurement, they don't much care whether Andy Byford sends them a Christmas card or not.

Finally, the Rockets are far closer to an "off-the-shelf" product than the streetcars.

Sure bombardier won based on cost, but im also sure that it wasnt the sole reason even in an open tender behind closed doors...
Are you alleging corruption? That's what it looks like.

First of all OC transpo isnt ttc and vica versa. What their relationship between bbr bears no connection. While I obviously dont work for TTC nor am in their inner circles or in public industry I do have experience in dealing with the construction industry and with developer clients who put contracts for tender, so not all this is "creative" writing based off of my emotions and subjective reasoning. How about you? Do you work for senior levels of TTC? Have you dealt with their procurement in any way whatsoever? If you can demonstrate that either of the aforementioned applies to you I will gladly leave this thread and not comment on streetcars forever, but if not, it really doesnt matter if you have years of participation and discussion on this board or if you have talked with them. You're just like me, a transit enthusiast albeit with more time in.

On the point of my allegations of corruption, are you that niave to think that the TTC is all white and pure as they profess they are? Now I am not alleging corruption, I just said that tenders are not solely won on cost. There is a subjective side to that. Does 40% canadian content cost less than 39% canadian content? Did bombardier's presentation to the ttc board cost less than siemens'? What I have been trying to say is the board was for sure won over by bbr by their cost as indicated on the report which there is no doubt, but this is business and a multi billion dollar contract. They will do everything they can to win, and there are plenty of ways that are legal not just by sheer cost savings alone, and while I cant speak for the TTC or bbr or siemens on what they did behind closed doors all I know is that bbr won and they struck a deal. but just some food for thought, have you ever wondered why virtually all quebec tas bought from nova only and until orion folded why ttc only bought from them other than cost? Can you say without blinking that they single handed created a superior product for a superior cost that had absolutely no influence one way or the other from the executive board or government? I'm not alleging, just keeping an open mind against bureaucracy

In a lowest bidder wins bid, tenders are in fact (after all other qualifications have been met) won solely on cost.

There is no subjective side, because all qualifications need to be factually substantiated.

Could the higher cost from Siemens have been a result of the buy Ontario policy?
What "buy Ontario" policy are you referring to? The (Ontaroi)Canadian Mass Transit Vehicles Act refers to 25% Canadian content. They could have been built in Quebec.

Not having a plant here would mean coming up with the funds to build one, staff it, and run it. I'd assume those costs would have just been added to the cost per car and passed onto the TTC. Bombardier already having a plant would have not needed a premium on their price tag to make it happen.
I suppose the 25% Canadian content policy might have raised Siemens costs a bit. But it doesn't explain that they were 50% higher. Not for such a massive order.

Don't forget how big this order is. The 204-streetcar order has been called the world's biggest streetcar deal. And to date, 196 of the remaining 400 vehicles have been optioned, bringing the contract total to 400.

As I said before obviously in official public documents it says that bbr won because they were able to quote lower, but the point it why were they able to in the first place?
Quality? Lack of facilities in Canada? Lack of experience in Canadian marketplace? I don't think Siemens has ever dealt with such a large streetcar order before, even in Europe.

Remember these trains are not off the shelf, they are bespoke tailored to TTC's specs (especially the rockets) and essentially are engineered from a basic platform. Those costs are factored in after the contract is signed, and since they have a deep relationship with the gta, the city can be comforted with the fact that there will be some leniency on extras since they are dealing with longtime customers.
If that was the case, then why did TTC reject Bombardier's initial bid on the streetcars on technical grounds. Bombardier (and the taxpayers!) are lucky that they also rejected Siemens inital bid on technical grounds (and perhaps that Bombardier might have been the sentimental favourite, favoured that Siemen's got tossed as well - but it didn't make Siemen's submit a bid 50% too high).

Ever wonder why projects go over budget? Its extras, which is not covered in the contract. Sure bombardier won based on cost, but im also sure that it wasnt the sole reason even in an open tender behind closed doors...
I don't fathom how you'd think there'd be any other winner than the company that came in 50% below the other bidder. If everything was as tight and cosy as you make out, then Bombardier would have bid $7 million per vehicle, instead of $5 million, and walked away with an extra $408 million profit.

... I just said that tenders are not solely won on cost. There is a subjective side to that. Does 40% canadian content cost less than 39% canadian content? Did bombardier's presentation to the ttc board cost less than siemens'
What has this got to do with anything? If the bids were tied, then you might have a point. They were miles apart. With a $5-million cost per vehicle versus $7.5-million, it was about cost. (though I bet Bombardier were kicking themselves they didn't add a couple of million to each car!)

During the bidding stage, some commissioner wanted work to be done in Toronto to the point having a plant on the waterfront and rolling the cars off the assembly line onto TTC track, but got shot down.

Building a new plant (rather than using the existing Tbay plan) sounds awfully expensive. I reckon that it would add at least a few hundred million onto the price.

What "buy Ontario" policy are you referring to? The (Ontaroi)Canadian Mass Transit Vehicles Act refers to 25% Canadian content. They could have been built in Quebec.

I suppose the 25% Canadian content policy might have raised Siemens costs a bit. But it doesn't explain that they were 50% higher. Not for such a massive order.

Don't forget how big this order is. The 204-streetcar order has been called the world's biggest streetcar deal. And to date, 196 of the remaining 400 vehicles have been optioned, bringing the contract total to 400.

I was just going off of what had already been said in this thread. I have no idea what the actual policy is. 400 cars with a $2.5 million price difference = $1 billion difference on the entire order. That is a huge difference!

La Pocatière is quite a bit east of Montréal, actually. It's just over an hour's drive east of the Québec Bridge, half way from Québec City to the New Brunswick border.

Ahem, you are absolutely correct.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

4404 is here, finally:

10420764_727784753943910_879230355122039642_n.jpg

Do streetcars and trains use the same gauge track? I know this is being offloaded from a flatbed rail car, but I'm just curious.

Back