News   Jun 26, 2024
 84     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 268     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.8K     2 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

On twitter, Brad Ross said the 600km of testing takes 2 - 4 weeks.....as long as no defects/problems crop up.

And I criticized this policy to him on Twitter. He gave me some explanation that wasn't very convincing.

I don't see why every single new streetcar has to go through this testing after a) months and months of testing of 4400 and 4403 up and down every streetcar line, b) months of 4400 and 4403 in service, c) extensive testing at the National Research Council, d) extensive testing at Bombardier itself. Aren't we sure *yet* that these things work in Toronto?

We are desperate for more capacity on our streetcar lines, not desperate for wasting time and money on needless testing.

And I criticized this policy to him on Twitter. He gave me some explanation that wasn't very convincing.

I don't see why every single new streetcar has to go through this testing after a) months and months of testing of 4400 and 4403 up and down every streetcar line, b) months of 4400 and 4403 in service, c) extensive testing at the National Research Council, d) extensive testing at Bombardier itself. Aren't we sure *yet* that these things work in Toronto?

We are desperate for more capacity on our streetcar lines, not desperate for wasting time and money on needless testing.

I think it is required to expose any faults before the vehicle is officially signed off to the TTC. Once it gets signed off, it becomes difficult to determine if a defect is due to normal wear and tear, or due to a manufacturing issue.

We know that 4400 and 4403 work in Toronto, but we don't know if 4404 works properly.
Essentially, I'm assuming it needs breaking in on the roads, so to say.
Even with the results of the other streetcars, they probably have to be sure, address any teething troubles.

TTC is only doing 600 km while US systems are doing 1,500-3,000 miles. Europe has various burn distance.

You can't take something off the assembly line and start running on line like a car as they can cause more problems to move them back to the car house, compare having car's/buses being put on the hock.

Ottawa LRT was a partnership bid with Alstom being part of the winning bid. Bombardier was part of the loosing bidder.

TTC is only doing 600 km while US systems are doing 1,500-3,000 miles. Europe has various burn distance.

You can't take something off the assembly line and start running on line like a car as they can cause more problems to move them back to the car house, compare having car's/buses being put on the hock.

Ottawa LRT was a partnership bid with Alstom being part of the winning bid. Bombardier was part of the loosing bidder.

You forgot when the first three prototypes were being tested already? The prototypes underwent over a couple of thousands of kilometres and months of testing, under all weather conditions. Each individual vehicle that arrivals now undergoing a test drive for 600 km to make sure they match the standards set.

Delaying 2 weeks of testing on each car will simply delay new streetcars by ... 2 weeks.

That doesn't seem unreasonable, given that to sign off prematurely on what may be wonky equipment will cost us money.

You forgot when the first three prototypes were being tested already? The prototypes underwent over a couple of thousands of kilometres and months of testing, under all weather conditions. Each individual vehicle that arrivals now undergoing a test drive for 600 km to make sure they match the standards set.

Ancient history I know, but by way of comparison the first 100 Peter Witt cars (2300-2498) all entered service between October 2, 1921 and November 2, 1921.

Just saw one of the new ones heading east on King near Bay - was several storeys up so I couldn't make out the number. Is 4400 or 4403 being rerouted, or is 4404 already here for testing?

Just saw one of the new ones heading east on King near Bay - was several storeys up so I couldn't make out the number. Is 4400 or 4403 being rerouted, or is 4404 already here for testing?
4401 and 4402 are still here for training as well - unless one was loaded back on that flatcar to go back to Thunder Bay.

Just took my longest ride yet on one of the new ones: 4403 from College to Union. Fast, quiet, great views, boarded by the back door with POP (weekly pass, no fiddly bits of paper or metal). The future is (almost) here!

Back