News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 459     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I don't think the TTC got approval for the 60 additional vehicles. I may be wrong, but council did not receive the TTCs capital budget well.

I don't think the TTC got approval for the 60 additional vehicles. I may be wrong, but council did not receive the TTCs capital budget well.
As noted above "...there is an option for an additional 60 (making it 264)." The option has not yet been taken up and is valid, I think, until the end of 2014 and could probably be extended as Bombardier are going to be making the first 204 for several more years. There is a whole list of 'below the line' projects in the TTC budget, including these extra 60 streetcars. This from TTC budget:

2014_Cap_Ex5_UnfundedProjects.jpg

Attachments

• 2014_Cap_Ex5_UnfundedProjects.jpg
    2014_Cap_Ex5_UnfundedProjects.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 857
"IF" and I mean "IF" 4404 shows up in March, it will be a first since 4403 still hasn't shown up for testing due last fall and 4400 is not back for retesting after all the modifications were done based on testing done to date. 4400 went to Thunder Bay in Oct from Ottawa.

4403 will be the one coming down in March. It is complete, and is undergoing systems testing in Thunder Bay.

4401 and 4402 are supposed to return to Thunder Bay to be modify like 4400.

That remains to be seen. There is some thought that the either Bombardier will build new 2nd modules for both and ship them down to be integrated into the cars. They've also bandied about modifying the existing modules, but I don't know how feasible that really is - a fair amount of structure needs to be moved around.

Not having 4401 & 2 out for testing in this weather is a huge mistake and they would learn a lot of info from those test for the production run.

4401 and 4402 are out on the roads almost every day. So far, they have had little to no problems with the snow and cold.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Oh notice the train door monitoring system on that list? I didn't see that before, that would let the subway trains go completely driverless.

I saw one of these late at night on Church St. going north. I believe it was late last week. Was really cool to see. They're so quiet.

Oh notice the train door monitoring system on that list? I didn't see that before, that would let the subway trains go completely driverless.

Off-topic to the thread, but the door monitoring system has to do not with going driverless, but rather with the planned transition to one-man operation in the subway.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The new streetcars are being delayed until the end of August, 2014, until the production numbers reach the replacement numbers for the 510 Spadina line and the re-construction is finished. However, would the numbers be enough to run as an express 522 Exhibition, instead of the 193 Exhibition Rocket? Allowing entry and exit at Dundas West Station and Exhibition West Entrance could allow for the new streetcar to be used as an express vehicle.

Thats probably a good idea, they will probably have a few streetcars lying around waiting for enough numbers to replace the next route in september, why not use them for the 521 service that runs during the ex? its a great time to show them off to people who probably don't usually use the streetcars.

Thats probably a good idea, they will probably have a few streetcars lying around waiting for enough numbers to replace the next route in september, why not use them for the 521 service that runs during the ex? its a great time to show them off to people who probably don't usually use the streetcars.

Agreed, it'll be nice to have a full line replaced instead of a piecemeal solution.

I was reminded of the future benefits of low-floor all door boarding with POP today when taking the Spadina line.

Dwell time at each stop was pretty long. Large crowds of people struggling to make it up the stairs. One lady had to carry her stroller up the stairs while trying to get another kid who was throwing a tantrum and crying loudly to get on the car. Another guy came on, tried to get someone's attention on the car, then got off without paying, making the whole vehicle wait. I think the social contract is different with a subway where people know the doors will close if you take too long. On the streetcar or bus, people expect the bus driver to wait for them.

Maybe TTC should do what Edinburgh Scotland is doing for their new tram line schedule to open this year
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...vehicle-to-rescue-broken-down-trams-1-3327552
[h=1]Unimog vehicle to rescue broken down trams[/h]
1712369799.jpg
Edinburgh Trams' Unimog . Picture: contributed

Published on the 04 March
11:45

38 comments

Print this

This beast of a machine – a Unimog or “universal motorized implement machine” – is set to come to the rescue of stricken trams in the Capital.
While it is a sight no-one hopes to see too often, the £150,000 multi-purpose vehicle complete with snow plough, winch and other gadgetry is tasked with keeping the city’s roads and rails open, whatever the weather.
Edinburgh tram bosses opted for the modern all-terrain Mercedes Benz – which has been given the Edinburgh Trams logo – because of its ability to ride on both roads and rails.
The 4.8-litre four-stroke diesel engine has eight forward gears and six reverse gears with a 145-litre fuel tank, so it won’t have to stop often.
It was unveiled just days after a stationary tram on Princes Street caused speculation that the vehicle had broken down before the route had even opened up to the public.
However, it was soon revealed it was just taking part in noise level tests, and Tom Norris, Edinburgh Trams director and general manager, said in the unlikely event of a breakdown the Unimog could quickly move in to sort the problem.
He said: “The general principle is that if a faulty tram can be removed from service without disruption, we will do this as soon as possible. If a tram can’t move on its own we will arrange for another tram – or in extremes a Unimog vehicle – to tow it to a suitable location, for example sidings or potentially back to the Gogar depot.”
Fire services in other parts of the UK and Australia use the multi-tonne vehicle to help tackle ferocious blazes.
Here, crew of the dual wheel and track off-roader will be tasked with maintaining all the structures, overheads, track, points and machinery on the tram route.
A lifting arm on the Unimog can be used with a cage to provide a platform for maintenance work on overhead tram lines or even the tram wash back at the depot.
Mr Norris added: “The Unimog is a multi-purpose road and rail vehicle which is capable of carrying or towing specially designed accessories for maintenance purposes.
“It is designed to facilitate many maintenance roles on the Edinburgh Trams network including recovering a failed tram. It is capable of driving both on the road and rail network, utilising two hydraulically lowered rail axles for guidance whilst rail mounted.”
And Mr Norris played down fears trams could cause hefty delays for motorists if one breaks down on a busy thoroughfare. He said: “Transport for Edinburgh will run a fully integrated public transport service for the city.
“We’ll offer a consistent and regular tram service but if an emergency situation affects the service, the Transport for Edinburgh network will cover the majority of situations.”

Maybe TTC should do what Edinburgh Scotland is doing for their new tram line schedule to open this year
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...vehicle-to-rescue-broken-down-trams-1-3327552
[h=1]Unimog vehicle to rescue broken down trams[/h]

I love the related article about a tram undergoing stationary testing leading people to think there'd already been a breakdown. I guess when streetcars disappear from a cityscape for almost sixty years they're going to seem unfamiliar when they show up again.

[h=1]Unimog vehicle to rescue broken down trams[/h] Edinburgh Trams' Unimog . Picture: contributed

Published on the 04 March
11:45

38 comments

Print this

This beast of a machine – a Unimog or “universal motorized implement machine” – is set to come to the rescue of stricken trams in the Capital.
While it is a sight no-one hopes to see too often, the £150,000 multi-purpose vehicle complete with snow plough, winch and other gadgetry is tasked with keeping the city’s roads and rails open, whatever the weather.
Edinburgh tram bosses opted for the modern all-terrain Mercedes Benz – which has been given the Edinburgh Trams logo – because of its ability to ride on both roads and rails.
The 4.8-litre four-stroke diesel engine has eight forward gears and six reverse gears with a 145-litre fuel tank, so it won’t have to stop often.
It was unveiled just days after a stationary tram on Princes Street caused speculation that the vehicle had broken down before the route had even opened up to the public.
However, it was soon revealed it was just taking part in noise level tests, and Tom Norris, Edinburgh Trams director and general manager, said in the unlikely event of a breakdown the Unimog could quickly move in to sort the problem.
He said: “The general principle is that if a faulty tram can be removed from service without disruption, we will do this as soon as possible. If a tram can’t move on its own we will arrange for another tram – or in extremes a Unimog vehicle – to tow it to a suitable location, for example sidings or potentially back to the Gogar depot.”
Fire services in other parts of the UK and Australia use the multi-tonne vehicle to help tackle ferocious blazes.
Here, crew of the dual wheel and track off-roader will be tasked with maintaining all the structures, overheads, track, points and machinery on the tram route.
A lifting arm on the Unimog can be used with a cage to provide a platform for maintenance work on overhead tram lines or even the tram wash back at the depot.
Mr Norris added: “The Unimog is a multi-purpose road and rail vehicle which is capable of carrying or towing specially designed accessories for maintenance purposes.
“It is designed to facilitate many maintenance roles on the Edinburgh Trams network including recovering a failed tram. It is capable of driving both on the road and rail network, utilising two hydraulically lowered rail axles for guidance whilst rail mounted.”
And Mr Norris played down fears trams could cause hefty delays for motorists if one breaks down on a busy thoroughfare. He said: “Transport for Edinburgh will run a fully integrated public transport service for the city.
“We’ll offer a consistent and regular tram service but if an emergency situation affects the service, the Transport for Edinburgh network will cover the majority of situations.”

The TTC already has vehicles with which they can move a disabled car.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back