News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 468     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Part of the problem with signal priority on Spadina is that nearly half of the intersections also have transit going east-west.

Priority could still be given if there are no other transit vehicles at the intersection. I don't expect that signal priority on the 510 wouldn't be 100% perfect, but it could still be an improvement.

A list of signalized intersections along Spadina, with the shortest transit headway on the cross street (post new streetcar), and near/far-side stops on Spadina. Headways on Spadina are planned at 3.25' or longer (source)

Code:
      fn Sussex
  10' ff Harbord
      nn Willcocks
   5' ff College
      fn Nassau
         St Andrew
 6.5' ff Dundas
      nf Sullivan
 4.7' ff Queen
         Richmond
  13'    Adelaide
 2.5' nf King
         Clarence Sq
      nf Front
      nf Bremner
         Lake Shore
 4.7' ff Queens Quay

Out of 17 intersections, 7 have transit on the cross street, and three of those have (or will have, after the rollout) headways above 6 minutes all day, more than long enough to have signal priority on both streets. So at 12 of the intersections (excluding Lakeshore because backups) you could have almost flawless priority if door open/closed status was communicated. Even at the three with frequent transit, the left turn phase could be moved after the straight-through phase when there is a streetcar waiting to get to a far side stop. All in all it could make Spadina faster than Bathurst, as it should have been from the start.

If streetcars couldn't operate today because of frozen tracks, does that mean that any streetcars running on them would have the same problem....

If streetcars couldn't operate today because of frozen tracks, does that mean that any streetcars running on them would have the same problem....

I thought it was the brakes, not the tracks, and this wouldn't be the case with the new LRVs. Minneapolis just put extra operators on standby in case LRV service was disrupted, but I don't think they've been affected much.

I thought it was the brakes, not the tracks, and this wouldn't be the case with the new LRVs. Minneapolis just put extra operators on standby in case LRV service was disrupted, but I don't think they've been affected much.
Multiple problems today including frozen switches/tracks.....hard to tell from the media reports how much (if it were even possible) of the problems are attributable to each issue.

According to Andy Byford, the new streetcars are coming in August:
http://www.cbc.ca/metromorning/episodes/2014/01/08/transit-and-weather/

Given the fact that 4400 is still not back from modification in Thunder Bay; 4404 still hasn't shown up; 4401 & 4402 have to be sent back to TB for the same modification as 4400 once 4400 returns; TTC still hasn't fully approved the prototype cars for production; production of the cars plan for spring delivery are a year late, only a few cars will enter service in August on 510. The new cars will enter service one at a time as they arrive and are ready for service.

We will be lucky to see 20 cars by year end unless they increase the production line.

Switches have been an issues for years in good weather, let alone winter weather and time TTC fix the problems before the new fleet is here.

Age and lack of parts is catching up with the current fleet and that falls on the feet of council since they weren't prepared to purchased a new fleet on their watch over a decade or so ago. One of TTC Chair refused to talk about replacing the fleet on his watch(S) and forced Dave Gunn to resign while he was trying to updated the whole system because of money.

The media needs some class on how to write and understand real information on transit compare to what they do today.

Has anyone seen the new cars out for testing during this cold & snowy weather??? Good time to find out what issues they may have with them and to develop a plan to fix them or deal with it.

So since it's all door boarding with a POP system then if you don't have a metropass you'll always have to obtain a transfer, even if you're not transferring.

So since it's all door boarding with a POP system then if you don't have a metropass you'll always have to obtain a transfer, even if you're not transferring.
Bingo. Though no different from the 501 currently during the daytime, where you have to obtain a transfer, unless you use a pass.

Bingo. Though no different from the 501 currently during the daytime, where you have to obtain a transfer, unless you use a pass.

I have always wondered why the Operators do not insist all passengers boarding the 501 with tickets, tokens or cash take a transfer. (Though, of course, after 12 years here I have NEVER seen a fare inspection on the 501, which I take fairly often.)

The new Student/Senior tickets are much larger because they are designed to be validated so one assumes that the TTC are about to install validation machines.
TTC-ticket.jpg

Attachments

• TTC-ticket.jpg
    TTC-ticket.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 3,280
The new Student/Senior tickets are much larger because they are designed to be validated so one assumes that the TTC are about to install validation machines.

The plan has always been that there will be ticket validators on the new cars for those paying with tokens, tickets and cash (the validator will dispense a transfer for those paying cash or a token), and Presto terminals for those riding with Presto.

As for enforcement.....we'll see what happens with that.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

As for enforcement.....we'll see what happens with that.

Yeah, I'm really curious how POP enforcement works. I've been riding the College Street Car for about two months now and I get on at the back doors always. I have a metropass in my pocket, but nobody has ever asked to see it. Theoretically I could have ridden the streetcar for free these last two months. How big are the fines? Who's enforcing it and what happens if you're caught I wonder.

Yeah, I'm really curious how POP enforcement works. I've been riding the College Street Car for about two months now and I get on at the back doors always. I have a metropass in my pocket, but nobody has ever asked to see it. Theoretically I could have ridden the streetcar for free these last two months. How big are the fines? Who's enforcing it and what happens if you're caught I wonder.
There's no POP enforcement on the College car. I use that one too, but it's very seldom your allowed to board on the back doors. I've only noticed it rarely during rush-hour at a handful of major stops, and perhaps at other times during rush-hour.

Now, there's nothing stopping a fare inspector observing who boarded at the back doors, and asking for a pass - but I've never seen it happen.

It's only recently they've started letting this happen ... it seems to be a concession Byford and Stintz have let go through, to deal with the very long dwell times at a few stops. At it's at the operator's discretion.

At the same time, I've tried to board the 501 on Queen street at mid-day through the rear doors, and the driver has refused to open them.

There's no POP enforcement on the College car. I've tried to board the 501 on Queen street at mid-day through the rear doors, and the driver has refused to open them.

Yeah on the College car it's more like people hold the doors open after people have got off.

There's no POP enforcement on the College car. I use that one too, but it's very seldom your allowed to board on the back doors. I've only noticed it rarely during rush-hour at a handful of major stops, and perhaps at other times during rush-hour.

Now, there's nothing stopping a fare inspector observing who boarded at the back doors, and asking for a pass - but I've never seen it happen.

It's only recently they've started letting this happen ... it seems to be a concession Byford and Stintz have let go through, to deal with the very long dwell times at a few stops. At it's at the operator's discretion.

At the same time, I've tried to board the 501 on Queen street at mid-day through the rear doors, and the driver has refused to open them.

I think these photos shows buttons on the new streetcar that would (in theory) open the door. Does anyone have a closeup look of the button(s)?
msiu_ttcstreetcar08.jpg%3Fw%3D620%26h%3D465

urbantoronto-3990-11751.jpg

Back