News   Jul 15, 2024
 684     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 863     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 623     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

More wisdom from Doug Ford's Big Book of Easy Answers to Complex Questions.

Councillor Ford said if he were chair of the TTC, he would order more subway construction.

Because the chair of the TTC can order it, just like that.

If the city wants to keep streetcars for tourists, it should be confined to one street, perhaps Spadina Ave., he suggested.

Because tourists only ever want to see one part of a city from a streetcar and the rest of the time they want to ride a bus like back home.

The brothers said

(I'm picturing them intoning it in unison here)

if cars are banned from King St. during rush hour, drivers will end up cutting through neighbourhoods to get through town

Although they already do, and they'll do that if there are a ton of buses on King as well.

Did the Ford Brothers took a page from the Bangkok School of Transportation Planning?

More likely they are looking at the Moscow VIPs with their migalka (roof top flashing blue lights) for inspiration.

migalka2.jpg

The Ford brothers wouldn't be happy until everyone gets out of their way as they drive themselves.

Attachments

• migalka2.jpg
    migalka2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 787
TTC votes to study options to get King streetcar moving

See The Star, at this link.

204 new low-floor streetcars maybe not enough, says TTC CEO Andy Byford.

The TTC wants the city to order an additional 60 cars, on top of the 204 already on order, to accommodate ridership growth, for about $300 million.

“This order for streetcars was done back in 2009. We already predict before the end of this order we will need more streetcars,” said Byford, who has included that request in the draft 2014 capital plan.

The TTC currently has 247 (250 if you include the three LFLRVs) streetcars. Looks like the TTC has a target for a 264 low-floor streetcar fleet. Not counting the Transit City fleet.

Wonder if Rob Ford is now trying for a way to fire Andy Byford, like he did with Gary Webster?

Last edited:
More likely they are looking at the Moscow VIPs with their migalka (roof top flashing blue lights) for inspiration.

View attachment 15017

The Ford brothers wouldn't be happy until everyone gets out of their way as they drive themselves.

In Ontario, a green light means a volunteer fire department responder. I don't see either of them fighting fires though.

TTC votes to study options to get King streetcar moving

See The Star, at this link.

204 new low-floor streetcars maybe not enough, says TTC CEO Andy Byford.

The TTC currently has 247 (250 if you include the three LFLRVs) streetcars. Looks like the TTC has a target for a 264 low-floor streetcar fleet. Not counting the Transit City fleet.

Wonder if Rob Ford is now trying for a way to fire Andy Byford, like he did with Gary Webster?

So you can buy 4 of these German things for the price of one streetcar.

/Worlds-largest-bus-AutoTram-Extra-Grand-trialled-Dresden-Germanyl
article-2198063-14D36639000005DC-118_962x484.jpg

World's longest bus: Debuted in Germany, the megabus AutoTram Extra Grand is nearly 101ft long and can carry 256 passengers

Maybe we build the subway to Steeles and Viva should get these for the Yonge extension north of Steeles on a dedicated busway? At $1.25M per unit it looks like a bargain.

TTC is planning on buying another 60 car in 2016 with delivery for 2019.

This will max TTC yards out 100%.

TTC will look at spending $7m to keep the ALRV's around for another 3 year as well $59m for CLRV's that could get another 15 years of service.

There is still talk that some of the existing fleet will be still on hand as well. This will be on TTC July meeting list as well headway's.

As a side note, I have been asked by TTC for a list of stops for streetcars as well buses from anyone that should be remove from the system.

As per my last posting on stop spacing they will have to demonstrated as why they should be. The list I have presented as noted here was will accepted and support most of them with other been check out. Ridership, close to light, how it fit in with the community will determine if your list of stop stay or goes upon field check.

Pass me your list of stop that should go and I will have a look at them before passing the info on to TTC. I may know some of them.

As a side note, I have been asked by TTC for a list of stops for streetcars as well buses from anyone that should be remove from the system.

Here are a few off the top of my head

510 Spadina Streetcar:
Sussex Avenue
Sullivan Avenue
Nassau Street
Richmond Street
Willcocks Avenue
CHARLOTTE at OXLEY

And signal priority, please. We've waited two decades.

511 Bathurst Streetcar
Bloor
Lennox
Ulster
Nassau
Carr
Adelaide
Canada

I care about the Spadina streetcar more than anything. That thing moves ridiculous slow for a ROW LRT because of all the stoplights and stops.

Last edited:
Pass me your list of stop that should go and I will have a look at them before passing the info on to TTC. I may know some of them.

King both directions @ Trinity
Bay both directions @ Hagerman
Bay southbound @ Richmond or Adelaide (northbound only has Adelaide-farside)
Parliament southbound @ Richmond or Adelaide (northbound is Richmond only)
Oakwood northbound @ St. Clair remove either the southside or northside stop (northside stop is probably a relic of the Rogers Road streetcar)
Davisville westbound @ Mt. Pleasant remove either the nearside or farside stop (Is the farside stop a relic from the Mt. Pleasant car?)

Last edited:
TTC is planning on buying another 60 car in 2016 with delivery for 2019.

This will max TTC yards out 100%.

TTC will look at spending $7m to keep the ALRV's around for another 3 year as well $59m for CLRV's that could get another 15 years of service.

There is still talk that some of the existing fleet will be still on hand as well. This will be on TTC July meeting list as well headway's.

As per my last posting on stop spacing they will have to demonstrated as why they should be. The list I have presented as noted here was will accepted and support most of them with other been check out. Ridership, close to light, how it fit in with the community will determine if your list of stop stay or goes upon field check.

The TTC could use Hillcrest as a yard for some of the streetcars from 512 St. Clair and 511 Bathurst, since maintanence on the low-floor streetcars would shift over to the new Leslie carbarns.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about bike couriers? Are they carrying those types of contracts or deliveries as well?

We could still allow deliveries if they were also subject to the no stopping/no parking rules and used the many cross streets instead.

I deal in it. No bike courier is going to ride a contract to IBM Markham or Microsoft mississauga. Most distribution warehouses are located near the airport or brampton. I would also struggle finding a courier to park on adelaide and lug servers, laptops or even office furniture down to king street. It does depend on the type of business you're in but there are many it startups mobile developers and creative agencies located on king west and you should see the type and size of equipment these guys need. I just know that my organization has at least 10 courier drop offs and pick ups throughout the day. Many ppl in the neighborhood took transit or biked to work. So I'm not sure people realize how much commercial traffic is on the road given that employment has grown so much downtown over get last 10 years. I've even seen beer store trucks doing deliveries at 9 to restaurants in he area.

Why don't they just put automatic enforcement cameras to monitor the middle lanes during the rush hours and ticket any vehicle that isn't allowed to be on that lane? I imagine it would be cheaper than paying an officer and that it would be more effective because motorists know that it'll always be there. Kind of like a red-light camera.

King both directions @ Trinity
Oakwood northbound @ St. Clair remove either the southside or northside stop (northside stop is probably a relic of the Rogers Road streetcar)
QUOTE]

This would have been for people getting off a westbound St. Clair streetcar, since the southside stop is further away because of the offset of the intersection.

This is still a pretty busy transfer stop, the southside stop probably has fewer boardings but may have more alightings.

The Rogers streetcar loaded in the loop so it never passed that stop. Nobody would have come south on a Rogers streetcar down to the loop to take the Ossington trolley bus back north again, one would simply have transferred at Rogers & Oakwood to go north

Why don't they just put automatic enforcement cameras to monitor the middle lanes during the rush hours and ticket any vehicle that isn't allowed to be on that lane? I imagine it would be cheaper than paying an officer and that it would be more effective because motorists know that it'll always be there. Kind of like a red-light camera.

OPP manages to enforce HOV lanes on the highways without too much overhead. It took quite a bit of enforcement for the first couple of months but very little after that.

The trick will be setting the fine at a rate that the police are willing to enforce the law. City Council cannot direct the police on which laws should be prioritized; the cops need to decide to do it for themselves.

Back