News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 458     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Buses running downtown would share this deep flaw, so I'm not sure what the alternative is. We're never going to see a College St subway!

A College St subway wouldn't necessarily be that much of a speed improvement. I can consistently bike faster from Donlands station to Christie station than it takes via the subway -- my wife and I did this comparison a few times in the fall. Any College St subway worth building would be slower than a bike along the same route.

A bike isn't a car, though. Bikes don't get stuck in Toronto gridlock.

What time are they doing the Exhibition run tonight? I'd love to go over there and shoot it.

It noted in my posting 2259 with no set time. "This will occur tomorrow morning (Friday, March 15) after 2:30 a.m. at the conclusion of streetcar service on St. Clair Ave. W. and Bathurst St. "

It's not *that* much longer than an ALRV though, really -- just 4 metres. (24m vs. 28m)

Yes, everyone on UT knows that. But the average Joe who is ignorant on the topic will throw a fit. I guarantee you that Newstalk 1010 will have dozens of angry drivers yelling about the "War on Cars" when these hit the streets.

It's not *that* much longer than an ALRV though, really -- just 4 metres. (24m vs. 28m)
Yes, everyone on UT knows that.
Do they? Most here know they are 7 metres longer (30m vs. 23m). But no longer than the old 2-car trains TTC used to do.

Talk radio's raison d'etre is to get people riled up about something. If all the streetcars were replaced with buses tomorrow, they'd be talking about how the buses get in their way.
Talk radio is something one listen's to in the car. Pretty much nowhere else, except for a few very obsessed people. It's always going to be pro-car and anti-pedestrian or anti-streetcar.

Though personally, I don't listen even when I drive ... it riles me up too much, that it impacts my driving. I just stick to 680 or music.

Buses running downtown would share this deep flaw, so I'm not sure what the alternative is. We're never going to see a College St subway!

The alternative is to speed up the streetcars. Streetcars will never surpass bicycles in speed, but there are numerous ways to improve service that can be implemented on narrow downtown streets:
- Track relocation at intersections to create a left turn lane so streetcars don't get stuck behind left-turning cars (and there would be space left over for bike lanes too!)
- More aggressive transit priority signals
- Headway-based scheduling (improves reliability and reduces crowding by more evenly spreading load)
- Build platforms for faster loading (people won't have to wait for traffic to stop before venturing out to the streetcar)
- Re-space streetcar stops: Over the streetcar's long history, it seems that stops have been added but rarely taken away. How else would one explain that there are stops at all Simcoe, University and York streets? That's 3 stops in 200m. There are many other instances where a stop is far too close to other stops (a particularly annoying one is Victoria Street, a mere 100m from Yonge).

And what does that has to do with the new streetcars in particular? Nothing. And that hasn't been repeated in the 152 pages of postings prior?

Agreed...

And then Rob Ford can be more bothered by driving on Queen St. than he already is.

...but then you need to make the same comments over the non-stop Ford bashing. There's already a 500+ page thread dedicated to bashing Ford.

It noted in my posting 2259 with no set time. "This will occur tomorrow morning (Friday, March 15) after 2:30 a.m. at the conclusion of streetcar service on St. Clair Ave. W. and Bathurst St. "

Is there just a single exit from the streetcar yard on Bathurst at Dupont? If I camp out there am I pretty sure to see it come out?

they only come out on the Bathurst side. there are not any other tracks on the other streets. Unless there is some sort of secret, pre-spadina expressway war on cars Streetcar tunnel to the CNE!

4402 is schedule to be ship from Thunder Bay Plant Friday. 4401 still going under testing. I was stated it takes 25m to go from 0 to 50km/h with great stopping speed.

Look for it to be off load at Hillcrest spur next week.

Will try to get time and date if I can.

Back