News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 409     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I need to take a new shot of Roncesvalle yard form the same location now the new extension has been built to the east for the new cars. 2 of the 3 tracks were lost for this expansion. The panels on the east side have Roncesvalle in large letters on it, but hard to get a clear shot of it with all the cars in the way.

The wire has to be thicker because the longer vehicles will need better contact for more electrical power to operate its air-conditioning. In addition, to prevent excess wear and the creation of a groove, the conduit wire will be staggering back and forth.

I don't think simple trolley wire needs to be staggered. You would need staggered wire for high-speed rail, but not fairly slow local streetcar service.

The link WK Lis provided explained that the main issue is that the wires suspending the existing lines are flush with the current wire and would get snagged by the pantograph. Most of the time, mixed traffic routes would run slow enough that wear of the pantograph wouldn't be an issue, but in non-peak periods, it could still be an issue.

Most of the time, mixed traffic routes would run slow enough that wear of the pantograph wouldn't be an issue, but in non-peak periods, it could still be an issue.
Indeed ... late at night when your the only passenger on a going-out-of-service car running between Broadview and Connaught, and you hit every light on green, the velocity and quick travel time is eye opening!

4401 is running dynamic tests on the test track at Thunder Bay.

4402 is due in Toronto at the beginning of March, with 4401 to follow
at the end of March. On street testing will begin this spring.

I don't think simple trolley wire needs to be staggered. You would need staggered wire for high-speed rail, but not fairly slow local streetcar service.

No, even with low speed streetcars the overhead wire needs to be staggered. Otherwise all you will do is wear a groove into one location on the pantograph shoes.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It is possible that 4400 may leave the yard in mid Feb for testing on the QT and under wrap.

There will be noticed given when the car is to start testing on the system.

Based on a presentation today, all accessibly seating and areas will be re-branded with new colours as well new signs for all TTC vehicles.

Any new buses for the existing fleet will most likely come with the new fold down seat found on the TR as well the new cars. The current seats on buses will most likely see the new colour as they come due for overhaul.

It is possible that 4400 may leave the yard in mid Feb for testing on the QT and under wrap.
Now sure how you'd do that, unless the wrap is Harry Potter-style invisibility cloak! As soon as that thing rolls onto Bathurst, it will quickly erupt on Twitter, even at 3 AM.

Based on a presentation today, all accessibly seating and areas will be re-branded with new colours as well new signs for all TTC vehicles.
What presentation was this? No official ones were listed in the agenda.

Now sure how you'd do that, unless the wrap is Harry Potter-style invisibility cloak! As soon as that thing rolls onto Bathurst, it will quickly erupt on Twitter, even at 3 AM.

What presentation was this? No official ones were listed in the agenda.

It was someone by the public that was made that it was presented to ACAT in Nov. Staff to review the presentation and is in support of it with a report back to the commission.

Seats are treated like this in Europe.

Twitter will be everyone friend if you happen to be up at that hour as well the day. Other than a shooting date, no one is sure if it will happen since it depends on testing at the yard.

With all these delays, there need to be shorter test window to maintain delivery schedule, otherwise roll out of the new cars will be another year behind the already behind schedule.

Can you be a bit more specific? What colour? Only the fabric or the whole seat including the frame? What do the new signs look like?

Blue was suggested for fabric. The current framing for the new streetcars would stay. Signs is unknown and that will come out at future ACAT meetings and with staff.

I have suggested since 2003 that the current accessibly seats on buses be the same as the new fleet.

Maybe blue for the floor area could be added like a parking spot.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what is the specific reason for not using new hangers (pantograph overhead) on Spadina near Nassau? I know drum118 did mention that this segment was lower than other parts of the line, but just from observation it seems like there is enough room on the streetlights to allow it to be raised.

My second question is who is/are the main suppliers of modern pantograph-trolley pole compatible overhead parts? I've seen lots of photos of North American transit systems using pantograph only overhead system while Europe uses what the TTC is currently installing.

Overall I really do like how the newly installed overhead system looks, it's much cleaner looking than the old overhead. It could also be the fact that the wires are nice and tight whereas other parts of the system looks like it's been decades since the TTC did maintenance.

In due course new streetcars will be running on all lines so, sooner or later, all overhead will have to be pantograph compatible. I have not seen a schedule for conversion to the new overhead (which also involves higher power requirements) but they appear to have done most of Queen Street and are working on King. Other streets like Ronces and St Clair and Spadina were done when they relaid the tracks. In some cases they have not yet done an intersection (presumably more complex) or, occasionally, have done only an intersection (presumably because they needed to string new wires for current operations.)

The TTC has about 5,000 maintenance craftspeople. Maybe a quarter to half would have to be trained on the new streetcars, by taking everything apart and back together again. Hopefully, without missing any parts. (Oh dear, I have three screws left. Where do they go?)

Just wondering, with the "blizzard" coming tonight and Friday (February 8, 2013), would they be able to move 4400 around the Hillcrest yard to see how it handles the deep snow? If its in one piece.

The TTC has about 5,000 maintenance craftspeople. Maybe a quarter to half would have to be trained on the new streetcars, by taking everything apart and back together again. Hopefully, without missing any parts. (Oh dear, I have three screws left. Where do they go?)

Just wondering, with the "blizzard" coming tonight and Friday (February 8, 2013), would they be able to move 4400 around the Hillcrest yard to see how it handles the deep snow? If its in one piece.

4400 should be in one piece like I saw it in Nov unless they took it a part and a few extra pieces floating around. Tonight would be a good test frame in the yard for it.

It has been stated that once the existing fleet is gone, 10-20% of the existing force will not be needed for at least 5-10 years, if at all.

Back