News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.6K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 671     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

From Karen Stintz twitter:

http://twitter.com/TTCchair
#Toronto, MEET YOUR NEW #TTC STREETCARS! See the mock-up Nov 12-15, 10am-7pm 138 Bathurst St (Hillcrest Facility) http://lrv.ttc.ca/default.aspx
street-View.jpg

Front%20facing%20Rear.jpg

Front%20Module.jpg

Accessible%20Module%201.jpg

Accessible%20Doorway.jpg

Center%20Module.jpg

Bicycle%20Module.jpg

Rear%20Module.jpg

Rear%20facing%20Front.jpg

Toronto%20LFLRV%20-%202011%20-%20Front%20Diagonal%20View.jpg

Toronto%20LFLRV%20-%202011%20-%20Rear%20Diagonal%20View.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely going down to Hillcrest to see these. :eek:

Well, knock on wood, but seems like Rob Ford's dream of killing the streetcar system hasn't quite come true.

Having the mock-up displayed at Hillcrest instead of, for example Dundas Square, seems to be an attempt by Rob Ford or his henchmen to keep it or any replica out of his sight.

Still having us use a shuttle bus to get to and from the display? See this link. Seems to be an attempt to have less the public see the replica the better, for the Fords.

Date: November 12 through 15, 2011
Time: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Getting there by TTC:

Accessible shuttle buses will be running between Bathurst and St. Clair West stations. From Bathurst Station, you can also take the 7 Bathurst Bus northbound and exit at Bridgman Avenue. From St. Clair West Station, use the special shuttle bus (LRV Mock-up Public Display) or visit the trip planner at www.ttc.ca for additional routes.

There is no public parking available on the site.

Last edited:
Having the mock-up displayed at Hillcrest instead of, for example Dundas Square, seems to be an attempt by Rob Ford or his henchmen to keep it or any replica out of his sight.
I'll apply Hanlon's Razor here: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. Come to think of it, Occam's Razor leads in much the same direction.

I think this is just another example of the TTC doing what is convenient for them (keep the prototype where it is instead of moving it to a more public location) rather than what is best for customers).

Now that we've seen both the Eglinton vehicle and the replacement streetcar, have to say I really like the look of both, perhaps giving Eglinton a bit of an edge. The blunter nose and more prominent bumper on the replacement streetcar makes it look a little "meaner" of the two, while the Eglinton LRV seems a bit more graceful. Obviously speak to the different practicalities these vehicles will be facing---being out there in mixed traffic means a bit of toughess on the front is needed.

Last edited:
I like the livery a lot but still have one small quibble: they really ought have a middle headlight on the front.

That's a historical quirk that can and chould be continued.

I agree about the middle headlight. Also, I see this streetcar and I feel that it is behind in a design sense than trolleys that I've seen in cities around the world for the past decade. Beauty isn't the most important aspect but it is an important one. I feel that the design of these cars is already antiquated and they haven't been built yet.

Here's the one in Oporto for comparison:

porto-1-.jpg

Nice, France:

2710435926_34e76f72bd.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a little worried about the clunky seats - ride the subway in Paris and you'll see why. Those extra 8 seats down the middle will lead to 20 people being stranded on the sidewalk and make an otherwise roomy vehicle feel very cramped.

I'm a little worried about the clunky seats - ride the subway in Paris and you'll see why.

IIRC they're similar to what's on the trams in Budapest, so they should be ok.

I feel that the design of these cars is already antiquated and they haven't been built

Nothing wrong with being retro if done reasonably well. Hence the middle headlight.

I'm a little worried about the clunky seats - ride the subway in Paris and you'll see why. Those extra 8 seats down the middle will lead to 20 people being stranded on the sidewalk and make an otherwise roomy vehicle feel very cramped.

With such a long LRV, I think movement and distribution of passengers within the LRV will be the real issue with such a narrow corridor (similar to Mississauga artic). POP and all-door boarding is a must. As long the front isn't the only entrance, it should be okay.

Nothing wrong with being retro if done reasonably well. Hence the middle headlight.

It doesn't look retro. It looks like it's attempting to look modern but only manages to pull off what was modern in the 1990's. "Hence the middle headlight"? There is no middle headlight, therefore my point that it is not even attempting to look retro, just failing to look modern.

The design is a jump ahead of what we have now, but like many things made in Toronto, we follow others' examples but arrive late. Can we be a leader for once? The TTC used to be a shining model to follow.

It doesn't look retro. It looks like it's attempting to look modern but only manages to pull off what was modern in the 1990's. "Hence the middle headlight"? There is no middle headlight, therefore my point that it is not even attempting to look retro, just failing to look modern.

The design is a jump ahead of what we have now, but like many things made in Toronto, we follow others' examples but arrive late. Can we be a leader for once? The TTC used to be a shining model to follow.

You appear to assume that it was designed by the city rather than Bombardier, or that Bombardier was instructed to make it ugly.

Your sense of civic self-loathing is rather remarkable. Get over it.

Can anyone do a side-by-side comparison of the Legacy Replacement LRV versus the Transit City/LRT LRV?

Back