News   Jul 16, 2024
 612     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 565     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 707     2 

TTC: Customer Service

I've noticed that was absolutely no apology over yesterday's extended signal delay on Line 1 - maybe they will lump it in given how things are turning out today?

AoD

If delays happen more than 50% of the time, then its simply the normal expected schedule and thus you no longer have to appologize.

If delays happen more than 50% of the time, then its simply the normal expected schedule and thus you no longer have to appologize.
This wasn't a typical delay. There were signal issues between Bloor and St. Clair in both directions for over 12 hours, resulting in 1+ hour commutes between Finch and Bloor all day. It was so slow that they even had shuttle buses running between Eglinton and Bloor during the afternoon rush.

Last edited:
This wasn't a typical delay. There were signal issues between Bloor and St. Clair in both directions for over 12 hours, resulting in 1+ hour commutes between Finch and Bloor all day. It was so slow that they even had shuttle buses running between Eglinton and Bloor during the afternoon rush.

Has anyone proposed covering over the open parts of the Yonge line. maybe turn it into parkland, and then develop the adjacent parkland.

We have a "normal expected schedule" since when?! A rough, statistically unrepresentative tally suggests that during the afternoon rush my chances of getting involved in a delay on Line 1 is more than 50%. That is BS service.

What gets me is the absolute lack of information about exactly what happened - and of course, without that, the discussion around what can be done is negated (i.e. nothing except wait till the new system to come online). That is unacceptable when you are dealing with just how often these events are happening and that we are looking at years before the system is replaced.

Has anyone proposed covering over the open parts of the Yonge line. maybe turn it into parkland, and then develop the adjacent parkland.

A significant portion of the Yonge line was previously open and now covered.

AoD

Last edited:
As mentioned, parts of the Yonge line between Rosedale and St Clair that used to be open were covered over—the last bit, the southern-most segment of the tunnel between Summerhill and Rosedale, not that long ago. The parts that remain seem either hard to develop/use (Rosedale) or very expensive (the Davisville Yard). I recall there was some discussion of this a few years back when Davisville was totally blanketed by snow, and you had to take shuttle buses South from Eglinton. The estimated cost was astronomical.

TTC rebrands its airport bus — the cheaper if not faster way to Pearson

Starting next month, the TTC is wrapping the 10 buses dedicated to the 192 route with a postcard-travel theme, including the message, “Your journey starts here.”

New subway maps that will begin appearing mid-January will, for the first time, show a surface route. The Airport Rocket will be a red line.

A poster campaign will roll out across the system, with the image of a woman holding a passport stamped with a TTC logo.
New route maps are also in the works for inside the 192 buses, detailing the express route. It runs up Highway 427, making four stops within the airport area. There will be new signage at Kipling for the 192 bus bay, and the TTC is working with the Greater Toronto Airports Authority to raise the bus’s visibility at Pearson.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...the_cheaper_if_not_faster_way_to_pearson.html

New subway maps that will begin appearing mid-January will, for the first time, show a surface route. The Airport Rocket will be a red line.

I don't think this is true. I think the subway map showed the Harbourfront LRT line at some point. I think it was orange.

As mentioned, parts of the Yonge line between Rosedale and St Clair that used to be open were covered over—the last bit, the southern-most segment of the tunnel between Summerhill and Rosedale, not that long ago. The parts that remain seem either hard to develop/use (Rosedale) or very expensive (the Davisville Yard). I recall there was some discussion of this a few years back when Davisville was totally blanketed by snow, and you had to take shuttle buses South from Eglinton. The estimated cost was astronomical.

It would be, though the yard can also be intensified with redevelopment on top. Not sure if the economics would work out in the Toronto context at this point (especially since the density will likely be fairly limited).

AoD

I just had a weird/frustrating experience on the TTC (what else is new?). I took the streetcar north from College & Spadina, intending to go to Spadina station. The driver made everyone get off at Sussex because there were apparently too many streetcars already in the loop.

So I went into Spadina station to head east to Bay and then to King, but there was an announcement about a track-level injury at Keele, so no service west from St George to Ossington. But also no trains eastbound it seemed. No information on the screens.

So I got back on a streetcar south to College in order to head east to Queen's Park. But the first two streetcars heading east passed the stop and headed down Spadina, without any real announcement of what they were doing.

The TTC still really needs to tell people what's happening and what they're doing, right at the frontline level.

Oh, and both times that I rode the Spadina car there was an annoying CBC film crew asking people about breakfast sandwiches. At 2 in the afternoon.

I just had a weird/frustrating experience on the TTC (what else is new?). I took the streetcar north from College & Spadina, intending to go to Spadina station. The driver made everyone get off at Sussex because there were apparently too many streetcars already in the loop.

So I went into Spadina station to head east to Bay and then to King, but there was an announcement about a track-level injury at Keele, so no service west from St George to Ossington. But also no trains eastbound it seemed. No information on the screens.

So I got back on a streetcar south to College in order to head east to Queen's Park. But the first two streetcars heading east passed the stop and headed down Spadina, without any real announcement of what they were doing.

The TTC still really needs to tell people what's happening and what they're doing, right at the frontline level.

Oh, and both times that I rode the Spadina car there was an annoying CBC film crew asking people about breakfast sandwiches. At 2 in the afternoon.
Ouch.

Too late now, but if the subway is down, and your at Sussex (or perhaps even in the station!) the quickest way east is probably to go one block down to Harbord and catch the 94 Wellesley to Wellesley station. Even if the subway is running. Surprisingly fast, and my usual way downtown from Spadina/Harbord unless I just miss a 94.

Ouch.

Too late now, but if the subway is down, and your at Sussex (or perhaps even in the station!) the quickest way east is probably to go one block down to Harbord and catch the 94 Wellesley to Wellesley station. Even if the subway is running. Surprisingly fast, and my usual way downtown from Spadina/Harbord unless I just miss a 94.

and it can take as long as 20 minutes to see a 94. Did it a few times and the waiting is usually long.

and it can take as long as 20 minutes to see a 94. Did it a few times and the waiting is usually long.
I normally do it mid-day on a weekday. Every 12 minutes according to schedule. For some reason every time I arrive at the corner, there's one in sight. Though on Monday it raced threw the light before I could get it, so I jumped on the approaching streetcar back up to Spadina station.

Something to keep in mind if the subway is down though. And you can easily see on your smartphone when the next one is coming!

Back