News   Jul 30, 2024
 47     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 706     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 526     0 

TTC: Customer Service

Will TTC subways ever run really late into the night?

Read More: http://www.blogto.com/city/2014/05/will_ttc_subways_ever_run_really_late_into_the_night/

Politicians and journalists do much squabbling over whether Toronto is a so called world class city. Whether we are or we aren't, it's tough to argue that our subway service doesn't measure up to what's offered by cities that indisputably carry that title. New York City, for example, keeps its subway lines open all night. And in London, five lines will remain open overnight on Friday and Saturday nights, beginning in 2015. Could something similar ever work in Toronto?

TTC spokesperson Brad Ross doesn't offer a whole lot of hope. --- "The reason we don't stay open later is quite simple: it's maintenance," he says. I ask him why is then that whole chunks of some lines are routinely shut down over on weekends. He says those closures aren't for routine maintenance; they're for major upgrades. Daily maintenance takes place from the time the subway closes, at 1:30 a.m., and opens again at 6 a.m.

For a city that ranks consistently at the top of the list of priciest transit cities in North America, a subway closure time that falls half an hour before last call makes me feel a little irate. But Ross says our comparatively early closure time is a function of our system's infrastructure. --- Subways in New York and London, of course, require maintenance as well, but they have alternate capacity available to them. Lines in London, for instance, run "both fairly close to one another and parallel," Ross says, allowing some lines to close for maintenance while proximate ones remain open for service. And similarly, in New York, there are parallel express tracks, allowing one track to close while the other one continues to run.

201456-ttc-late-subway-service.jpg

Between 12 midnight and 6:30 AM, the New York City subway trains have a headway or interval of about 20 minutes. See link.

In Toronto, the Blue Night Network has headways between 15 minutes and 30 minutes.

I also think the bigger issue is that on Sunday mornings the subway opens 3-hours later. That should be corrected immediately. Sundays in Toronto aren't what they were in the Orange Lodge days.

I also think the bigger issue is that on Sunday mornings the subway opens 3-hours later. That should be corrected immediately. Sundays in Toronto aren't what they were in the Orange Lodge days.

This. The Sunday opening times are just ridiculous. Especially if you are traveling from outside the core.

Yes, please. I generally take the subway to work and need to be on site for 7AM, but when we are working weekend overtime, I need to come up with an alternate plan on Sundays.

Yes, please. I generally take the subway to work and need to be on site for 7AM, but when we are working weekend overtime, I need to come up with an alternate plan on Sundays.

Maybe they should provide 20 m service on the subways on Sunday between 6 AM and 9 AM. Then continue with the normal 5± m service after 9 AM on Sunday.

Also, after 1:15 AM on Friday and Saturday evenings (okay, technically Saturday morning and Sunday morning), maybe run the subway service every 20 m until after 2 AM.

It doesn't have to remain at 5± m minimum in all non-rush hour.

Though, I think, there will be no improvements until after all the ATC (signal & track) work is completed.

Last edited:
The TTC wouldn't do that because it's not about the ridership for them, it's about the window for repairs.

UThey'd have ample time for routine maintenance if they shut down earlier sun-thurs when it's a ghost town after midnight. If you added up all that extra time they wouldn't need to shut down on the weekends, or at least not as early!

Any closure before 4am on weekends is unacceptable. The replacement overnight buses when the bars let out are a nightmare

Last edited:
UThey'd have ample time for routine maintenance if they shut down earlier sun-thurs when it's a ghost town after midnight. If you added up all that extra time they wouldn't need to shut down on the weekends, or at least not as early!

Any closure before 4am on weekends is unacceptable. The replacement overnight buses when the bars let out are a nightmare

They should put the bendy buses on those routes at that time. I'm sure the drunks will love them.

I actually think it IS a good idea to close earlier on weekdays, especially Mondays and Tuesdays, if it's necessary to close later on Fridays and Saturdays.

Back