News   Jul 30, 2024
 147     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 831     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 541     0 

TTC: Customer Service

I hope my tweet conversation didn't persuade the TTC to pull their Google Transit data... :-$

Yes. This is your fault and you should feel horrible. :)

But seriously this is probably just a temporary bug. Someone probably pressed a wrong button.

If it doesn't come back in a few days, we'll blame you have to send an angry mob of TTC riders after you. :)

Given that 90%+ of respondents said that it is worth the fares or better, it means that many perceive fare hikes as the price of maintaining excellent service.

I view fare hikes as a way to maintain quality service. I find it funny that some who are very vocal about fare hikes end up regretting buying a car and take the TTC again, since car insurance is not exactly cheap (and gasoline can end up being more expensive per kilometre than buying a Metropass each month (even if that month is February).

Last edited:
I find it funny that some who are very vocal about fare hikes end up regretting buying a car and take the TTC again, since car insurance is not exactly cheap (and gasoline can end up being more expensive per kilometre than buying a Metropass each month (even if that month is February).

I am one of those vocal people but I don't regret buying a car at all. I can afford to maintain my car and returning to TTC is not an option unless some LRT lines are built.

Given that 90%+ of respondents said that it is worth the fares or better, it means that many perceive fare hikes as the price of maintaining excellent service.

I view fare hikes as a way to maintain quality service. I find it funny that some who are very vocal about fare hikes end up regretting buying a car and take the TTC again, since car insurance is not exactly cheap (and gasoline can end up being more expensive per kilometre than buying a Metropass each month (even if that month is February).

Parking alone can be more expensive than a metropass. That's actually one of the key factors in whether people use transit to get to work, how expensive and available parking is, sometimes you can't get a spot at all.

I have a car, and I do use it to get to certain places in the city where transit isn't very good. It's also convenient for going out of the city like ski trips or going on a trip to the wine region. I use transit when going downtown, and I would choose transit over driving at rush hour to get to work.

I wish either the time based transfer or lower off-peak fares would happen so that if you don't have a metro pass it's more affordable to use the system for short trips like going for dinner for example.

Parking alone can be more expensive than a metropass. That's actually one of the key factors in whether people use transit to get to work, how expensive and available parking is, sometimes you can't get a spot at all.

I have a car, and I do use it to get to certain places in the city where transit isn't very good. It's also convenient for going out of the city like ski trips or going on a trip to the wine region. I use transit when going downtown, and I would choose transit over driving at rush hour to get to work.

I wish either the time based transfer or lower off-peak fares would happen so that if you don't have a metro pass it's more affordable to use the system for short trips like going for dinner for example.

Free parking is also a deterrent to public transit.

Drivers keep trying to park their cars for free on streets. Hoping they don't get parking tickets (3 hours maximum parking in Toronto where not signed), but if they do a ticket they may try to ignore it or fight it.

I just wish the TTC would price their passes at about 40 rides, as not only would it be more convenient for regular commuters than tokens, but said group would be more encouraged to take transit for regular trips. With a Metropass at $133.75, you could price cash fare at $4 and tokens at $3.50 each ($3.34 to be exact, but let's give people more of an incentive to buy a pass).

Being someone who uses York Region Transit, these prices do not seem as outrageous as you would think.

I just wish the TTC would price their passes at about 40 rides, as not only would it be more convenient for regular commuters than tokens, but said group would be more encouraged to take transit for regular trips. With a Metropass at $133.75, you could price cash fare at $4 and tokens at $3.50 each ($3.34 to be exact, but let's give people more of an incentive to buy a pass).
It's currently priced for 42 rides.

The Metropass is $133.75, but you get the federal 15% tax credit ($22.06) making it $113.69. At $2.70 for a token, that's 42.1 rides.

If you get the monthly subscription it's only $122.50, or $104.13 after the tax credit, so that's 38.6 rides.

(and if you ever find your not going to use the subscription one month, I've had no problem getting a friend to "buy" my Metropass for $104 for a month, on the condition they return it to me for the tax credit.)

Free parking is also a deterrent to public transit.

Drivers keep trying to park their cars for free on streets. Hoping they don't get parking tickets (3 hours maximum parking in Toronto where not signed), but if they do a ticket they may try to ignore it or fight it.

Definitely, one of the reasons why transit lines going to downtown or other parts of Old Toronto are more successful than suburb to suburb transit lines. For suburb to suburb travel, there is often free parking everywhere, matched with bad transit. But even with good transit, if there are giant free parking lots, many choose driving. On the other hand, at Yonge & Eglinton, monthly parking rates are ~$150, and from what I hear that doesn't even guarantee you a spot unless you get there earlier than others. It's also less convenient to drive in other ways such as traffic. So even if you have a car, you'd still be inclined to buy a metro pass, and the subway entrance is closer to your office than the parking lot/garage anyways.

Often this factor is overlooked by people who live and work in the suburbs, they assume parking is always free and available, because that's their experience.

It's currently priced for 42 rides.

The Metropass is $133.75, but you get the federal 15% tax credit ($22.06) making it $113.69. At $2.70 for a token, that's 42.1 rides.

If you get the monthly subscription it's only $122.50, or $104.13 after the tax credit, so that's 38.6 rides.

(and if you ever find your not going to use the subscription one month, I've had no problem getting a friend to "buy" my Metropass for $104 for a month, on the condition they return it to me for the tax credit.)

And if you don't have enough income to qualify to make it tax deductible, it is 49.5 rides.

Has anyone experienced very long wait times on Yonge today? At both 9:00 am and 11:00 pm I had to I wait over 10 minutes for a train. I've never experienced headway this ridiculously long before. I think it has something to do with the construction at Union

Has anyone experienced very long wait times on Yonge today? At both 9:00 am and 11:00 pm I had to I wait over 10 minutes for a train. I've never experienced headway this ridiculously long before. I think it has something to do with the construction at Union

That's pretty bad. The only time I remember experiencing that long of a wait was the special late night service for Nuit Blanche a couple of years ago. Of course that was 3-4am.

Back