News   May 02, 2024
 165     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1.3K     5 

TTC Blue Night Network Service Upgrades

299 bloor call control.

Member Bio
Reaction score
As of February 17th, overnight service on 320 Yonge and 300 Bloor-Danforth will finally be significantly improved in response to overcrowding.

Service on the 300 will be improved during the busiest times before 3:30am and after 5:00am daily and between 7 and 9 on Sundays. It'll go from every 15 mins to every 7 1/2 mins.

Service on the 320 will be significantly increased, essentially doubled at all times. Buses will run every 3-4 minutes now every night.

Hopefully this will alleviate the issues with overcrowding on these two routes, particularly on the 320...

Okay, is there anywhere else in Ontario (heck, anywhere in Canada) where a bus route runs every 3-4 minutes during rush hour? (Edit: Other than the Ottawa Transitway routes?)

Crazy stuff. Is there such a disconnect between citizen's willingness to use transit and their government's unwillingness to pump money into it anywhere else in the western world?

It's time to extend Yonge buses north to Major Mack, even if only on a trial basis.

It's a great step. Unfortunately, my problem has been with buses not on those two corridors (which run every 30 minutes) of not showing up at all. If there was better management of those routes, then the night bus system would be almost fine and dandy.

York had better pay if service was to go north of Steeles. I hear that the Steeles East night bus is pretty dead, and that skirts York Region - a route that the TTC should not have added, IMHO.

I'd love if it went further than Steeles. Even if it was every third bus or something along those lines.

During the weekdays and saturdays it would only have to be provided between 2:15am 6am and sunday's from 1:30am until 6am.

Yonge to at least Major Mack, Highway 2 in Durham, Hurontario (from Long Branch via Port Credit to Downtown Brampton) and Dundas (Kipling to Oakville) are the best ideas for suburban all-night bus service.

Yonge to at least Major Mack, Highway 2 in Durham, Hurontario (from Long Branch via Port Credit to Downtown Brampton) and Dundas (Kipling to Oakville) are the best ideas for suburban all-night bus service.
i'd be down for that for yonge. there wouldn't be many people using it on the southbound trip so that's why i thought that every third bus would travel into york region.

i would be happy with 1 YRT bus running all night on yonge. it would be a 1 hour headway but i honestly don't think there would be a need for more because i take the last bus often and even then it's not packed when it's going north. and it's quite empty going south to finch.

The change in the 320 will reflect the lower ridership in the northern section. Buses will alternate between the 320 (to Steeles) and 320A (to York Mills) branches.

It's a great step. Unfortunately, my problem has been with buses not on those two corridors (which run every 30 minutes) of not showing up at all. If there was better management of those routes, then the night bus system would be almost fine and dandy.

York had better pay if service was to go north of Steeles. I hear that the Steeles East night bus is pretty dead, and that skirts York Region - a route that the TTC should not have added, IMHO.

I find most of the night network clockwork-reliable...usually.

I believe I've mentioned how ridiculously unused the Steeles night bus is a few times - I've never seen more than 3 or 4 people on it at once and only once or twice have I ever seen someone get on the bus east of Yonge. Several times, I've been alone on it...it must be the TTC's best money-losing route.

More people use Finch East and walk from there...I bet some don't even know there is a Steeles East night bus. Steeles East routes in general are used more by 905ers than by 416ers, mainly because 416ers have other routes nearby to choose from.

Okay, is there anywhere else in Ontario (heck, anywhere in Canada) where a bus route runs every 3-4 minutes during rush hour? (Edit: Other than the Ottawa Transitway routes?)

Crazy stuff. Is there such a disconnect between citizen's willingness to use transit and their government's unwillingness to pump money into it anywhere else in the western world?

MT offer 4-6 minutes on 19 today and it needs to be at 3'55". Based on current trend, it will need 2-3 minute service with 2-5 years.

Route 3 see 8 minutes while 1/1c see 9

when i did the analysis for the 353, it met the population standards for overnight service, which is why the trial went in. I don't recall the results of the post-implementation review though.. and I'm sure if the route is performing badly, it will be changed. I also looked at Steeles service from York U to Middlefield, but the population numbers, even when skewed up with York U students, did not meet the standard. I wouldn't be surprised if they went ahead and changed 353 to this routing just to test it out and see if that boosts ridership.

Spadina is the most obvious place for a night route. It goes right through the busy "Entertainment District" and it's the easiest way to get north to Bloor for anybody going west from downtown.

Spadina and King had night routes before. King is probably not needed (especially if Queen is ever bumped up to 15-20 minute service), but Spadina's a good idea. You'd only need 1 bus for 30 minute service from Queen's Quay to Bloor after 2:00 AM.

Back