News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 873     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 353     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Also a very good option. When thinking about extending the people mover, I was thinking more in terms of extending the ROW, using the same supports as the people mover,, and converting to LRT anyways. A gateway to the airport at Malton is a must though. Such a line could eventually be extended to meet the Finch West LRT.

It looks like we have the same idea. I'm posting a quick map of what I envision. The Finch West LRT and Eglinton Crosstown link up at Pearson. The airport LINK train is unchanged and travels to the "off-site" parking. What is new is that another LRT that travels between the terminals and the Malton station and is interlined on the TTC tracks.
Why? The FWLRT and ECLRT will be built eventually and anyone with a map can see that the aiprort is where it will happen. The FWLRT will travel along Rexdale/Derry Rd to Airport Rd and turn south because the currently remaining space in 409 corridor will be taken-up by the ART line. A Rexdale-Derry-Airport would be cheaper than tunnelling or elevating the line, as well, it links the TTC to GO. So then, if the tracks are already there then why not run a short-line lrt?
A short line LRT would make transferring between GO and the Airport transparent. Pay one fare at Lond and a train takes you to Malton then cross the platform to a smaller train to get to the terminal? Pay one fare at the Airport and take the green LRT to the train staion and the train the rest of the way to Union.

I don't think that using local neighbourhood names, which may be obscure like "Sunnybrook" and "York West" makes sense. It would make far more sense to allow duplicate street names in station names, like New York and Chicago do because of their extensive grid systems. Interchange stations should be hyphenated with both street names (like Eglinton-Allen, Eglinton-Yonge, Sheppard-Don Mills) while other stations only need the name of the cross street, even if is a duplicate. The name of the line could be added if needed to disambiguate, like Bayview (Eglinton line) and Bayview (Sheppard line).

Also if a Don Mills subway is built as far as Sheppard then overcrowding on the Eglinton & Sheppard LRTs east of Don Mills will be a serious problem. A proper subway will be badly needed on these two routes if and when a subway is built on Don Mills.

It looks like we have the same idea. I'm posting a quick map of what I envision. The Finch West LRT and Eglinton Crosstown link up at Pearson. The airport LINK train is unchanged and travels to the "off-site" parking. What is new is that another LRT that travels between the terminals and the Malton station and is interlined on the TTC tracks.
Why? The FWLRT and ECLRT will be built eventually and anyone with a map can see that the aiprort is where it will happen. The FWLRT will travel along Rexdale/Derry Rd to Airport Rd and turn south because the currently remaining space in 409 corridor will be taken-up by the ART line. A Rexdale-Derry-Airport would be cheaper than tunnelling or elevating the line, as well, it links the TTC to GO. So then, if the tracks are already there then why not run a short-line lrt?
A short line LRT would make transferring between GO and the Airport transparent. Pay one fare at Lond and a train takes you to Malton then cross the platform to a smaller train to get to the terminal? Pay one fare at the Airport and take the green LRT to the train staion and the train the rest of the way to Union.

Sorry I'll figure out this image thing in time.

Attachments

• APRT LRT.JPG
    APRT LRT.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 257
Can someone map Steve Munro's preferred routing? He commented on the DRL Now proposal, but he didn't really outline his own, but he made suggestions so I guess someone could base it on that. I'm just too lazy to :p

@Valcluse

Its similar, but I would imagine the people mover would be converted fully to LRT to allow for better interoperability of all lines and to get rid of that insane cable-car system. The airport could still have its own branded vehicles running on the ROW between Renforth and Malton; anyone with a valid airplane ticket would be able to board for free. In addition, for PRESTO, anyone boarding and disembarking between Renforth and Malton would have a free fare, including all transfers from VIA.

Can someone map Steve Munro's preferred routing? He commented on the DRL Now proposal, but he didn't really outline his own, but he made suggestions so I guess someone could base it on that. I'm just too lazy to :p

He seemed to be talking about a line from Don Mills and Eglinton to a proposed GO station at Bathurst North Yard. It would connect to Danforth at Pape and then continue south either straight down to Eastern or under the Rail Corridor. It would take the Front and Wellington through downtown to Blue Jays Way, where it would veer south to the rail corridor.

I would like it do come down don mills, across overlea, down pape, across wellington, make the jump up to king in the st. Lawrence district, drop down to front past spadina, (so that it reaches GO's future transit centre at bathurst and front)

GO's Bathurst North Yard extends to Spadina and the proposed new GO/subway station would be at Front and Spadina, not Front and Bathurst. Steve Munro has posted a conceptual map and renderings.

He seemed to be talking about a line from Don Mills and Eglinton to a proposed GO station at Bathurst North Yard. It would connect to Danforth at Pape and then continue south either straight down to Eastern or under the Rail Corridor. It would take the Front and Wellington through downtown to Blue Jays Way, where it would veer south to the rail corridor.

Here it is graphically. I hope I interpreted Steve Munros posts accurately - any errors are purely unintentional. He seemed quite certain of hitting Don Mills/Eglinton, Thorncliffe Park, Flemingdon Park. From there, he appeared to favour Pape since Donlands does not run through Danforth, Greenwood is too residential, Coxwell a possibility and Woodbine is too far East. He was not convinced that the DRL had to go (much) beyond Front/Spadina at this time.

Steve Munro DRL.jpg

It seems the alignment relied heavily on the Metrolinx proposal to have a GO terminal station at Bathurst yard - which is one (probably the least expensive) option they are considering. However, if Metrolinx goes with a different option to relieve the train crowding at Union, I believe he may suggest another route.

Attachments

• Steve Munro DRL.jpg
    Steve Munro DRL.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 388
here is my revised DRL routing, with stations this time!

I would like it do come down don mills, across overlea, down pape, across wellington, make the jump up to king in the st. Lawrence district, drop down to front past spadina, (so that it reaches GO's future transit centre at bathurst and front) down to exhibition/liberty village, up along the rail corridor to roncesvalle ave, and up to dundas west station.

phase one would be "peter" station to eglinton, or "science centre". propably in the 4-5 billion range for construction (hopefully largely federal funding). phase 2 would be "science centre" to "Don mills". probably around 1.5 billion to 2 billion (largely municipal funding through transit taxes). and phase 3 would be "peter" to "dundas west". probably around $2 billion. (provincial/federal/municipal funding, as it would largely be built to allow for "bathurst central" station for GO's transit centre.)

Nice map.
I have a few thoughts, which may move this closer to others I have seen.

1. I have seen Flemingdon Park as a stop on most maps - I think it is worthwhile.
2. O'Conner is a bit far North since it much of its catchment area is the Don Valley. I think Cosburn or Mortimer would be better.
3. Riverdale seems a bit easier to build than a Gerrard would be (Gerrard is sort of in a curve and under railway tracks). Generally, I would prefer to intercept Gerrard since it is a more major road (crosses DVP) - but probably depends on cost.
4. I would not be opposed to adding an extra station between Donlands and Yonge - Depending on whether the Donlands is closer to DVP or Cherry.
5. I do not think it is worth switching up to King Street. The King Station is mostly south of King St. so the transfer is not much of a walk at all - It is a bit longer at St. Andrew. It may be easier to build the interchange stations a bit offset from each other instead of directly on top of each other. Wellington is a straight (smooth) continuation of Front and it seems a shame not to continue on it. (One way I would leave Wellington would be if GO wanted to tunnel under here for a new Union North Station - which I do not believe is on anyones radar). The single interchange "Financial" station from DRLNow appears too ambitous to expect a single station to serve 3 YUS stations.
6. Switching to Wellington would allow an easier time cutting down on the diagonal from Peter/Wellington to Front/Spadina. With the station closer to (just West of)Spadina, it better serves the SkyDome and City Place.
7. I am not sure if Roncesvalles is a better option to curve north than Dufferin. At Dufferin you could intercept Queen/King with one station and Dundas/College with another. By way of the Spadina (or Bathurst) station and the Exhibition station, you have already hit both GO lines so I am not sure you have to hit Dundas West GO - I think Metrolinx really wants connections to GO to get some people off the trains prior to Union. Anything beyond Exhibition depends on whether GO can effectively run some type of all day service and what becomes of the 15 minute express train from YYZ.

I do not think you have to reduce the number of stations to increase the speed of the line. People will only transfer onto the DRL from B-D if the DRL comes close to their destination. No-one will tranfer back onto YUS - they will stay on D-B and make only one transfer. No matter what, the DRL will have fewer stations than the D-B and YUS combination, but no matter how much fewer, people will not make the double transfer. If the reason for reduced stations is reduced cost - that I could accept, but it still needs to be convenient.

After reflecting on this a bit, I am not sure which alignmnet is best to get back up to Bloor in the West. In reality, this would be a second or third phase of the DRL so I might just have short tail tracks at Exhibition and keep the options open on the future alginment until we see how things look in 10 or 20 years.

Last edited:
So I made an update to my S-Bahn T.O. map (png, pdf) from a few pages back, with a sloppily-Googled cost estimate that comes out to around $13b.

sbahntocost.png
sbahntolines.png

That looks good. You should make a stop in Cobourg after the one in Port Hope. It's only a few km away and would likely get more ridership being a larger centre.

@bielawski Wow.

What do you drink? I'd like to buy you one and discuss the western portions.

One big thing though, with highway 7 the way it is, the Kitchener-Guelph section would be able to handle those kinds of frequencies all day instead of just during rush periods. Maybe 20 minutes during rush if GO can buy the line and with triple tracking at stations.

Last edited:
Wow, very detailed map, I love it!

How do you account for the freight traffic though? Does it use some of those lines, or does it have it's own trans-GTA line that isn't shown there?

Back