News   Jun 25, 2024
 815     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 780     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Transit Fantasy Maps

I don't know about adding the streetcar maps but I heard that the future LRT lines will all be added to the maps on the subway cars. It will look like a really extensive system.

I am guessing that the LRT lines won't have circles for stations accept for the SRT which is being converted to LRT. Maybe they will have dashes for LRT stops on these futere maps.

I don't know about adding the streetcar maps but I heard that the future LRT lines will all be added to the maps on the subway cars. It will look like a really extensive system.

I am guessing that the LRT lines won't have circles for stations accept for the SRT which is being converted to LRT. Maybe they will have dashes for LRT stops on these futere maps.

I assume this will be the case as well. As for the "circles" versus "dashes" for stations, this could be an opportunity for the TTC to completely redesign all their route maps to something with a more up to date and refreshing look.

Sarah Thomson's proposed subway expansion
http://www.sarahthomson.ca/press-release/17-03-10

ST4M_EXPANDED_TTC_email.jpg

Best map I've ever seen that I myself haven't conceptualized. ;)

That said, just a few minor crtiques. If going to Pearson via Atwell Skyway and Carlingview, the line will obviously skip Renforth. It would be nice though that after PIA, the final stop westwards on the Eglinton Line was a Airport Corporate Ctr Stn more proximal to Orbitor/Matheson, the true centre of the area within 5 minutes walking distance of most workplaces. This builds the case for future extension of the Eglinton line largely at-grade, trenched or elevated west to Square One via Eglinton with further stops at: Dixie, Tomken, Kennedy and Hurontario en route. But that's really City of Mississauga's fight to champion, not Toronto's.

I'd also add in Oakwood, Birchmount (to both Eglinton and Sheppard Lines); do separate Bathurst and Chaplin Stns for Eglinton Line; extend B-D 2 stops to Sherway; use Danforth-McCowan as ROW for eastern B-D such that a Brimley-Eglinton stop's added in; and add in Broadview and Carlaw stops on the DRL (her cartographer might have accidentally left those out though). But otherwise flawless.

Now if only she can convince enough of the citizenry that it's time to vote for visionaries and innovators, and not the sort that's only out to preserve their jobs over serving the common good.

Her map does look very similar to SOS's. I'm almost embarrassed that we ended up accepting Eglinton as LRT when she hasn't :p

If I were a Torontonian, I'd vote for her simply on this basis. Although I don't even know if she's on the left or right.

Unless she ends up being a total nut job, I will vote for her on this alone.

Also, Toronto is an urban enough city that transit funding transcends left vs. right. Recall that in the last election, it was right wing Jane Pitfield, not left wing David Miller or Adam Giambrone, who made subway expansion a key part of their platform. Regardless of where someone falls on the political spectrum, chances are they all want more transit expansion for this city. However, the implementation of their plan is where differences start to emerge between left and right wing candidates.

The map looks like a school project and not the work of a competent map designer. If you're running for mayor, you should hire a professional graphic artist with some knowledge of transit map design.

Too bad her press release didn't also come with a readable-sized map, although I can make out that she's added the mid-block stations along Yonge. Interesting to see she's changed the current colour scheme of YUS from yellow to blue, and Sheppard from purple to yellow.

Her map does look very similar to SOS's. I'm almost embarrassed that we ended up accepting Eglinton as LRT when she hasn't :p

If I were a Torontonian, I'd vote for her simply on this basis. Although I don't even know if she's on the left or right.

Weren't you the one who voiced most strongly that we downgrade it to light-rail for the sake of completeness? Anywho, even a partial Eglinton metro is better than a half-arsed LRT line running in my book. The needs along Eglinton east and west of the DVP are totally different, the former where buses can travel at speeds of 55kph in some instances.

I want for her to win too, I don't care whether she might be a Conservative since I'm starting to associate every bad and inept municipal level policy and decision made from the past decade with Liberal/NDP hegemony at City Hall. You know what they say: a new broom sweeps clean.

Haha, agreed! Time to change :p

I believe she's described as "socially liberal, fiscally conservative." I'll bet that privatized garbage collection and TTC driver/janitorial services will go quite well with an expanded subway network. She's looking like a pretty good candidate :)

Weren't you the one who voiced most strongly that we downgrade it to light-rail for the sake of completeness? Anywho, even a partial Eglinton metro is better than a half-arsed LRT line running in my book. The needs along Eglinton east and west of the DVP are totally different, the former where buses can travel at speeds of 55kph in some instances.

I felt that Eglinton should be a complete line from Pearson to Kennedy, yes. However, Thomson's plan shows subway along the entire length. So I support that. And she has some ideas on how to raise funds to do this. Remember what we did we did to be "revenue-neutral" with Transit City, hence why some parts of the plan were put off to the future (Sheppard from Agincourt to STC; Sheppard from Yonge to Downsview; Bloor west to Sherway). As a matter of principle, I definitely have zero qualms with Eglinton being fully subway, whether underground or even at-grade or above-grade outside of the core.

My apologies. I guess our headbutting of late has clouded my judgment.

But in regards to Eglinton, the TTC's own subway cost and LRT cost projections should always be subject to the same manner of scrutiny that people will assuredly attribute to Ms. Thomson's figures. I do think that Giambrone's benchmark of $300 million per kilometre is distorting reality compared to other places and on several occasions now the yet to be built Transit City lines' prices keep going and going upwards. Is the premise of 120kms of "rapid" transit really worth the fiscal, social and economic turbulence several communities all across the city could face for years to come, when at least we know by practice that subways operate more efficiently, are on time, etc.? I don't think it is. For $12 billion even going by $300M/km, 40 kilometres of subway can be built enough for a full Eglinton subway and extensions on the 3 existing lines. That'd be good enough for most. If private firms vye to build, own and operate a complete cross-city DRL to later transfer over the public, even better. I don't think real visionary thinking can emerge out of the current system. And subway expansion along urban corridors through this city is long overdue.

The other thing that's sort of odd about the Sarah map is that there was clearly a continuation of Sheppard to Downsview, awkwardly removed at some point. I guess that was a subway too far.

I knew I had seen this map before! In my (professional?) opinion, Sarah Thomson has stolen Miguel Syyap's map, ripped right off of the Transit Toronto website. Look at Miguel's map:

And Sarah Thomson's:
ST4M_EXPANDED_TTC_email.jpg

Notice the small changes, like leaving the near-impossible routing of Atwell-Skyway>Carlingview>Renforth>Airport on the Eglinton Line, but for some reason changing the placement of the Atwell-Skyway stop. The remaining "Swift" and "Old Forest Hill" stations on Eglinton (not included on any other fantasy map I've ever seen). The remaining interchange circle at Downsview station, while having erased the extended Sheppard line. Most importantly, the overall look of the map is the same (even if they changed the colours)! I am CERTAIN that this map is simply Miguel's map stolen and (poorly) edited in places.

Sarah Thomson should fess up to stealing another person's vision and work and apologize!

Last edited:

Back