1K     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.6K     3 

Transit Fantasy Maps

If the Sheppard line gets extended east & west
If Josh matlow version EELRT gets built
OL finished then extended north to Don Mills
EEW completed

That would satisfy what I would consider good coverage of the TTC network in Toronto.

The west end of the city should have a north south transit line, probably using the OL to extend
Lakeshore, should get east/west line, one day I'd hope to get to downtown via Kingston/lakeshore from the east end by tram
Incorporate Jane LRT into OL West (like DRL into OL) and I think you have it. Also doesn't hurt as an election promise as a win for the Premier's nephew's riding in the next election.

hey yall, I've been working on this map for a while now, I've taken heavy inspiration from Toronto Board of trade proposal, the many forum contributors, and also Paris RER, new york subway and more. I hope you all like it <3
Regional Rail Mapcompressed.png

PDF version here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15mTGpDZfyqHLyjRAjCSv_uhhAMz3n-u-/view?usp=sharing

If the Sheppard line gets extended east & west
If Josh matlow version EELRT gets built
OL finished then extended north to Don Mills
EEW completed

That would satisfy what I would consider good coverage of the TTC network in Toronto.

The west end of the city should have a north south transit line, probably using the OL to extend
Lakeshore, should get east/west line, one day I'd hope to get to downtown via Kingston/lakeshore from the east end by tram
In the long term, Etobicoke will need an elevated subway line along Kipling Avenue. Will tie together three GO lines, two subway lines, a streetcar and an LRT. And thats assuming that only what currently exists or is under construction gets done. A Sheppard extension west and an Ontario Line western extension are quite likely before 2050.

hey yall, I've been working on this map for a while now, I've taken heavy inspiration from Toronto Board of trade proposal, the many forum contributors, and also Paris RER, new york subway and more. I hope you all like it <3
View attachment 487038
PDF version here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15mTGpDZfyqHLyjRAjCSv_uhhAMz3n-u-/view?usp=sharing
Really great plan, the graphics are impressive. I love the extension of rail service to Brantford, London and other south western Ontario towns. They already have existing rail corridors into their downtown cores and are simply underutilized by terrible and incompetent VIA service.

One thing that has occurred to me about Milton extensions is that using the Guelph Junction to reach Guelph might make a lot more sense than a direct run to Cambridge. Making the Guelph terminal work would be “interesting”, but it’s not a hugely indirect route and definitely gives better connectivity.

Last edited:
View attachment 487038
Love this map. It combines almost every good idea floating around right now, and avoids some usual pitfalls i see with GO fantasy maps. Namely, people love to put service on the CN York sub rather than just using the 407 ROW. And even then, they go for the whole 407, not the more ideal 403-407 hybrid. Really glad you did both as seperate services, and really impressed you decided to run the blue line to Bramalea. I thought it was a bit out of the way at first, but I’ve come around to it.

It looks like your assembling a complete transit fantasy map, so id like to make some minor reccomendations. Given the scope of the fantasy here, id like to see a couple more GO stations in Hamilton- one at Main/Dundurn, and one at Centre mall (Kenilworth north of Barton). Maybe toss in one at the top of the mountain on the CN Dundas sub near Copetown to serve Ancaster. I would say that having two stations between Confederation/Grimsby is a bit redundant given the population, but as long as it’s balanced by some more urban stations to the west in urban Hamilton, I think it’ll be fine. I get the hammer doesn’t get a lot of focus, so I figured I’d give my two cents before I embark on my own map…

I am also a bit curious about the KWC - Brantford line; do you plan on rebuilding the ROW? And if so, do you see this as particularly viable? Was there a reason you haven’t also rebuilt others? Just a curiosity. I’m really big on rebuilding CN’s beach sub in Hamilton, though not many others (particularly those on precarious geography). Would help out basically everyones travel times east of the QEW bridge.

And finally I have to give you credit for your station and line placements. They’re almost all perfect imo. Really glad you went with only one extra station in Kitchener, as it’s where it counts/makes the most sense. The Boardwalk is a criminally good site for a GO Station.

Maybe one small criticism that should be fairly easy to change in your illustrator/whatever file: the fare zones make no sense, if that’s what they even are. I can follow it until we get out of the 416, from there it’s just confusing with the similar colours in random places. I do like the idea of “fare by distance” starting at a certain point, but it might be justified to bring that inwards a little bit. Not really sure though until I can make sense of the zone structure.

Love this map. It combines almost every good idea floating around right now, and avoids some usual pitfalls i see with GO fantasy maps. Namely, people love to put service on the CN York sub rather than just using the 407 ROW. And even then, they go for the whole 407, not the more ideal 403-407 hybrid. Really glad you did both as seperate services, and really impressed you decided to run the blue line to Bramalea. I thought it was a bit out of the way at first, but I’ve come around to it.
Thank you!!!
t looks like your assembling a complete transit fantasy map, so id like to make some minor reccomendations. Given the scope of the fantasy here, id like to see a couple more GO stations in Hamilton- one at Main/Dundurn, and one at Centre mall (Kenilworth north of Barton). Maybe toss in one at the top of the mountain on the CN Dundas sub near Copetown to serve Ancaster. I would say that having two stations between Confederation/Grimsby is a bit redundant given the population, but as long as it’s balanced by some more urban stations to the west in urban Hamilton, I think it’ll be fine. I get the hammer doesn’t get a lot of focus, so I figured I’d give my two cents before I embark on my own map…
I literally thought about putting stations in those spots in Hamilton, I only cut them out because they're pretty close to the LRT, however, I don't know much about Hamilton so I'd love to see your map!
I am also a bit curious about the KWC - Brantford line; do you plan on rebuilding the ROW? And if so, do you see this as particularly viable? Was there a reason you haven’t also rebuilt others? Just a curiosity. I’m really big on rebuilding CN’s beach sub in Hamilton, though not many others (particularly those on precarious geography). Would help out basically everyones travel times east of the QEW bridge.
I had no idea that the beach sub existed, reading up about it- it's very interesting and as for the line to kw - Brantford, I feel like it is important to connect the many mid-sized cities in the region with each other.
Maybe one small criticism that should be fairly easy to change in your illustrator/whatever file: the fare zones make no sense, if that’s what they even are. I can follow it until we get out of the 416, from there it’s just confusing with the similar colours in random places. I do like the idea of “fare by distance” starting at a certain point, but it might be justified to bring that inwards a little bit. Not really sure though until I can make sense of the zone structure.
I originally intended to have a dual zone fare structure, much like the one floated around on the forum, but I struggled to make it look good the further out from union I got so I gave up on making the fare zones for the time being.
I liked your suggestion of bringing in the fare by distance closer to the core of the network and would solve my issue.

thanks for the feedback!! <3

View attachment 487038

Love the map and the concept. I especially like how it covers pretty so much of Southern Ontario and is so comprehensive with the coverage.

1 criticism I have is that there are alot of services and it is hard to tell instinctively a REX from a regional service and that on the map, it is hard to tell at a glance which lines go where. I think that you can fix/ mitigate this by reducing the number of unique letters for services that run on the same lines but with different stopping patterns. Taking inspiration from the Parisian suburban system, you could group services that run on the same line and number them to indicate stopping pattern.

A,B => A1, A2
C,D => C1, C2
E,F,G,H => E1, E2, E3, E4
L,M => M1, M2
S,U => S1, S2

This naming system would also allow you to group the REX services with early letters and Regional services with late letters to more easily distinguish between REX and Regional services, like how in Paris, the RER services that run through downtown Paris are A,B,C,D,E and the suburban services that terminate earlier are M,N,O,P, Q,R,S etc. It would also reduce visual clutter on the map by lowering the number of distinct colors.

You don't have to agree with my take but would love to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:
Thank you!!!

I literally thought about putting stations in those spots in Hamilton, I only cut them out because they're pretty close to the LRT, however, I don't know much about Hamilton so I'd love to see your map!

I had no idea that the beach sub existed, reading up about it- it's very interesting and as for the line to kw - Brantford, I feel like it is important to connect the many mid-sized cities in the region with each other.

I originally intended to have a dual zone fare structure, much like the one floated around on the forum, but I struggled to make it look good the further out from union I got so I gave up on making the fare zones for the time being.
I liked your suggestion of bringing in the fare by distance closer to the core of the network and would solve my issue.

thanks for the feedback!! <3
Of course. Can’t wait to see any future work!

This map isn't quite as I'd imagine it, but I'd definitely advocate for a new Galt - Brantford line, most likely on more or less the Grand Valley ROW.

Direct GO service to Brantford seems somewhat unnecessary, imo we'd do just as well establishing clockface VIA service at least as far as London and aligning Brantford fares with GO; given this, my inclination would actually be to treat it as a tram train all the way, with the actual service pattern being Guelph - Cambridge - Paris - Brantford - Hamilton but running through Cambridge on the Hespeler Rd ION ROW and likely entering Hamilton via Dundas and then the LRT (in a perfect world, this also becomes a nice use of the James St spur we were supposed to get). This pattern also means that a Milton line extension to Guelph could terminate at a "low level" riverfront platform with less of a penalty than if we were actually running full size GO trains down the Fergus sub.

As far as Fergus goes, my take would be that in the short term Cambridge - Guelph is more closely tied to Ion than GO, and that while we might as well do upgrades north of Hespeler Rd to a standard that doesn't close the door to 12 car GO trains reaching Delta and running back onto the CP main it really does make a lot more sense to focus on DMUs and tram trains. This is, imo, THE best single corridor to try for a recreation of the O-Train pilot's ultra low cost DMU model.

Last edited:
Love the map and the concept. I especially like how it covers pretty so much of Southern Ontario and is so comprehensive with the coverage.

1 criticism I have is that there are alot of services and it is hard to tell instinctively a REX from a regional service and that on the map, it is hard to tell at a glance which lines go where. I think that you can fix/ mitigate this by reducing the number of unique letters for services that run on the same lines but with different stopping patterns. Taking inspiration from the Parisian suburban system, you could group services that run on the same line and number them to indicate stopping pattern.

A,B => A1, A2
C,D => C1, C2
E,F,G,H => E1, E2, E3, E4
L,M => M1, M2
S,U => S1, S2

This naming system would also allow you to group the REX services with early letters and Regional services with late letters to more easily distinguish between REX and Regional services, like how in Paris, the RER services that run through downtown Paris are A,B,C,D,E and the suburban services that terminate earlier are M,N,O,P, Q,R,S etc. It would also reduce visual clutter on the map by lowering the number of distinct colors.

You don't have to agree with my take but would love to hear your thoughts.

yeah i agree with this. unique colours for each service like the subway in New York or S-Bahn in Berlin would also work well.

Could the Bowmanville GO extension be extended to Peterborough? The Examiner alludes to the idea without saying it...
Via HFR already plans express trips to Toronto, but local GO service through Durham would benefit from connecting the existing Belleville and Havelock subs.
Two options would be 16 km along back roads (purple), or 20 km along highways 115 and 35 (red).
Second option would serve the busiest carpools along GO's 88 route, and could be coupled with the next road renewal, but the incline might be a challenge.
View attachment 486650
There used to be a track branching off the Havelock sub near Millbrook toward Port Hope, but this is not very direct and built over in many places
View attachment 486651
Where is that second map from?

Back