News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 332     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 899     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

There isn't and likely won't be a cross-town GO line unless we build something grade separated (tunnel/elevated). 407 transitway is being crayoned as one option, but it is probably a bit too far north to have maximal utility. We have Lakeshore W/E, but that is just adding more pressure to Union, and it is too far south. A regional line that connects the various radial RT lines would help with network effects and increase the distance people can travel. I think TRBOT/Jonathan English had a report on how transformative regional rail can be in terms of how much ground a person can cover in a given time budget. That doesn't mean that their origin destination are stations on that line. But even being able to get from, say, Kipling to Kennedy in 25 minutes instead of 50 could open a lot more options for inter-suburban trips.
There’s really only a few options for this. The government has always recognized the need for something to fill this role, so we have some options to look at. I’ve tossed in some others that “qualify” but really are just something I/UT keeps returning to.

1. Finch hydro corridor- this is no longer an option, but would’ve probably been the only one where it could likely stand alone for Toronto itself.

2. The “midtown line”

3. The original 407 Transitway

4. Now the modern “Interregional LRT” rail version of the transitway instead going to MCC and Pearson via the 403.

5. Sheppard- it can be seen as better mirroring the 401 in any scheme that uses the 407 presently.

The lack of any such lines is twofold; first because they require a good spoke network to connect, which doesn’t exist. This is compounded by the fact that it is/will be entirely at the provinces discretion, existing somewhere between GO and the MTO. Second, It’s also firmly the last stage of any government transit scheme, so something like GO-Urban would get around to it… eventually. But the need is rapidly mounting.

As for the best scheme, the interregional LRT is the most realistic and feasible, specifically from MCC to RHC/Markham. Anything that far north would eventually necessitate a second crosstown south, either at Sheppard or the midtown line. Sheppard could stand on its own perhaps, but the cost and lack of demand to reach YYZ makes the 407 the prudent first choice.

The main takeaway I’d suggest is that this kind of crosstown should be prioritized sooner rather than later, and is more independently needed than we give it credit for. This is mostly because it breaks into new ridership/trip catchments that already move by car and transit. Paralleling the 401 or 407 will be the ultimate means to push drivers onto transit, so it’s need is imo uniquely less dependant on the existing system than we give such interregional lines credit for.

354041443_999889237669205_8536135194776229394_n.png

Curious if this rail corridor has ever been discussed/used in a proposal for a North Toronto Crosstown line. It shadows Steeles Avenue for its entire routing through the city (or should I say above the city) and the rail corridor itself is very wide. It is currently used only for freight and is apart of the York/Halton rail subdivision. However, due to the wide corridor, the installation of additional trackage for transit would be possible without the interruption of freight traffic.

If anybody is interested I can elaborate on ideas I had about rolling stock/connection to TTC and GO/direct service for York U and Markham downtown.
Having operated on the corridor. It is definitely is wide enough for 4 tracks and most bridges are future proofed for 3+... biggest issue though is

Brampton Intermodal terminal and MacMillan yard are both on the north side of the corridor. I don't think CN would want passenger ops interfere with their biggest yards unless they shell out some major cash... I don't think a CN/CP joint corridor will be possible in this case. The biggest bottle necks on this corridor rn are CN Humber which is single tracked and and McCowan rd to Liverpool rd which is also single tracked...

The existing freight route would simply be shifted to the north or southside of the corridor and they could continue operations unhindered.
North since macmillan yard and Brampton Intermodal terminal are both on the north side... as well they often head north on the Bala sub towards western Canada...

here is my subway/lrt fantasy map for the 2040s first and then the 2050s
Line 1 Yonge University : Major mack west - union- RHC
Line 2 Bloor Danforth: Sherway - Mccowan Finch
Line 3 Ontario: Mount dennis - Exhibition- Seneca
Line 4 Sheppard: Pioneer Village- Sheppard Mccowan- STC
Line 5 Eglinton: Pearson-Kennedy
Line 6 Finch West: Pearson-Humber-Finch West
Line 7A Eglinton East: MTC-UofT-Kennedy
Line 7B Eglinton East: Sheppard Mccowan-UofT-Kennedy
Screenshot 2023-06-15 221626.png

line 1 Yonge University Jane :Major Mack West-Union-Major Mack
Line 2 Bloor Danforth Mccowan : Square one-Markville
Line 3 Ontario: VMC-Exhibition-Markville
Line 4 Sheppard: Pioneer village-STC
Line 5A Eglinton: Pearson-Kennedy
Line 5B Eglinton: Square one-Kennedy
Line 6 Finch: Pearson-Humber-Mccowan Finch
Line 7A Scarborough East: Mccowan Finch-MTC-UofT-Kennedy
Line 7B Scarborough East: Mccowan Sheppard-UofT-Kennedy

Please share your thoughts and suggestions.

cheapers.png

Line 7B Eglinton East: Sheppard Mccowan-UofT-KennedyView attachment 485662

View attachment 485664
really like the closing of all the loops and the introduction of interlining where it makes a lot of sense. Obviously you kept it realistic with existing/planned transit projects, but by 2050 I really think the need for an additional downtown subway will become clear. Whether or not it is an east/west line or north/south depends a lot on if the streetcars are improved, but i would have to guess a Dufferin subway from Yorkdale to Exhibition would be in the works if not built.

I really can’t say I love an iteration that doesn’t involve getting to Unionville station…. I’d be more inclined to serve the airport lands by pulling the new version of VIVA Green east to Woodbine by way of Seneca College.

Last edited:
I really can’t say I love an iteration that doesn’t involve getting to Unionville station…. I’d be more inclined to serve the airport lands by pulling the new version of VIVA Green east to Woodbine by way of Seneca College.
that is a good point about Viva Green. I guess it really depends on how the density around buttonville will look as it is pure speculation, but downtown markham willl certainly show itself deserving of a station by 2050.

Line 7B Eglinton East: Sheppard Mccowan-UofT-KennedyView attachment 485662

View attachment 485664

I agree with most of routes. Just a few nitpicks:

1. It will be difficult to interline in all cases where you have multiple colors running together. Say, Sheppard West towards York U and VMC: the yellow line tunnel is already built, it will be a challenge to connect Sheppard line tracks.

I'd rather send Sheppard line further west, possibly swinging to Wilson, and thus add transit coverage to the otherwise underserved north-west. Then the Sheppard line could go to the airport, Malton, or all the way into Brampton. Or it could just terminate at the Woodbine GO station, connecting to the Brampton / Georgetown RER that should become fairly frequent by that time.

2. Interlining OL West with the yellow line would be even harder, as they use different technologies and perhaps even different gauge. Jane is one of the good route choices for the blue line, but I would either terminate it at Steeles West and go no further, or swing further west after Finch and serve Woodbridge.

3. In the east, a bit more chances to see the magenta and green lines interlined, but that's not trivial as well. Design for SSE is completed, the McCowan terminus will have the tracks pointing straight north. The only way for the Sheppard line to connect is to veer north before McCowan, and then curve south to align with the SSE tracks. Not impossible, but unlikely. We probably have to choose one connection for the Sheppard line: either McCowan or STC, but not both.

4. I don't see the green line going into Markham. The blue line, yes, it will take many riders where they want to go, and be popular. But the green line - too far east for much of the existing density, doesn't go straight into Toronto downtown, and has too many stops because of the close stop spacing east of Vic Park. I would terminate the green line at Sheppard, or at most Finch, while McCowan North will do fine with BRT.

5. In the Phase 1 map, 7A and 7B (light-green line) both go to Kennedy, and that's fine, but I believe the most popular branch will be 7C that connects Malvern to the subway terminus at Sheppard & McCowan. For someone boarding at Malvern Centre, good 20 min will be saved by choosing the shortest trip to the subway, rather than taking a sightseen tour via much of Scarborough to transfer at Kennedy.

Could the Bowmanville GO extension be extended to Peterborough? The Examiner alludes to the idea without saying it...
Via HFR already plans express trips to Toronto, but local GO service through Durham would benefit from connecting the existing Belleville and Havelock subs.
Two options would be 16 km along back roads (purple), or 20 km along highways 115 and 35 (red).
Second option would serve the busiest carpools along GO's 88 route, and could be coupled with the next road renewal, but the incline might be a challenge.
1687268467122.png

There used to be a track branching off the Havelock sub near Millbrook toward Port Hope, but this is not very direct and built over in many places
1687268875578.png

I‘ve liked this concept for a long time, and somewhat prefer the 115 version for also connecting to Newcastle. Probably not a 10-20 year horizon project, but definitely has enough potential I think we should start protecting for it (and imo, a Trent University spur on the east side of Peterborough).

Last edited:
If the Sheppard line gets extended east & west
If Josh matlow version EELRT gets built
OL finished then extended north to Don Mills
EEW completed

That would satisfy what I would consider good coverage of the TTC network in Toronto.

The west end of the city should have a north south transit line, probably using the OL to extend
Lakeshore, should get east/west line, one day I'd hope to get to downtown via Kingston/lakeshore from the east end by tram

Could the Bowmanville GO extension be extended to Peterborough? The Examiner alludes to the idea without saying it...
Via HFR already plans express trips to Toronto, but local GO service through Durham would benefit from connecting the existing Belleville and Havelock subs.
Two options would be 16 km along back roads (purple), or 20 km along highways 115 and 35 (red).
Second option would serve the busiest carpools along GO's 88 route, and could be coupled with the next road renewal, but the incline might be a challenge.
View attachment 486650
There used to be a track branching off the Havelock sub near Millbrook toward Port Hope, but this is not very direct and built over in many places
View attachment 486651
I think using the old uxbridge row from uxbridge to Lindsey and then to Peterborough would be more feasible however the grades on that line were very steep(3%) and even the current Stouffville line has some of the steepest grades on the entire GO network...

Back