News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.9K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 655     1 

Transit Fantasy Maps

I was thinking about taking a day trip somewhere with GO for fun and Hamilton seemed like the ideal place, and since I almost never ride GO and want to try it. Unfortunately the all day two way service ends before reaching Hamilton (for now).

A shame in a way, as the most scenic part of the train route is between Aldershot and Hamilton, as the train winds through Bayview Junction, across the Desjardins Canal, and by Cootes Paradise. But why not bring a bike? You can take a bike on a morning rush hour train even (if you get on at Exhibition or further west, in the westbound direction), get off at Aldershot; from there, it's a relatively easy ride around the Hamilton Harbour. Ride the Cannon Street bikeway, ride up the Escarpment Rail Trail and check out Albion Falls, or ride out to Dundas.

Also, the GO bus service between Hamilton and Union really is fantastic. It's every half hour or better all day and it's FAST. Straight down the 403/QEW/Gardiner with no stops between Hamilton and Union station.

In the off-peak, the bus can do the trip in about 50 minutes. In comparison, the train takes about 1:15.

Hamilton is a good choice for a day trip, or even just a summer evening if you want to take the train one way.

A shame in a way, as the most scenic part of the train route is between Aldershot and Hamilton, as the train winds through Bayview Junction, across the Desjardins Canal, and by Cootes Paradise. But why not bring a bike? You can take a bike on a morning rush hour train even (if you get on at Exhibition or further west, in the westbound direction), get off at Aldershot; from there, it's a relatively easy ride around the Hamilton Harbour. Ride the Cannon Street bikeway, ride up the Escarpment Rail Trail and check out Albion Falls, or ride out to Dundas.

Also, the GO bus service between Hamilton and Union really is fantastic. It's every half hour or better all day and it's FAST. Straight down the 403/QEW/Gardiner with no stops between Hamilton and Union station.

In the off-peak, the bus can do the trip in about 50 minutes. In comparison, the train takes about 1:15.

Hamilton is a good choice for a day trip, or even just a summer evening if you want to take the train one way.

Thanks for the tips.

It seems there's always a bus scheduled so that you can take the train to Aldershot, then take the 15 min GO bus to Hamilton. I guess the express bus might be faster, but I kind of want to try the train. From what I'm reading I can even use Presto with a discount for GO to Hamilton Transit transfers. It's pretty great that the unified card makes it easy to get around Ontario by transit without having to figure out the new fare system of various systems in different cities.

I mainly use the TTC within Toronto, I've almost never used GO and don't have a Presto card yet.. so I'm looking forward to trying this out.

So I brought something up in the GO service thread a while ago about the possibility of extending GO RER service beyond the Hunter St Station terminus in Hamilton. The right-of-way that I chose to use is currently the Escarpment Rail Trail, which used to be a CN line before it was ripped out. What I propose is re-instating the rail tracks, but building an elevated pedestrian pathway above the tracks that doubles as the support system for the RER catenaries. It may cost a bit extra, but it provides a valuable transportation corridor, while still maintaining the rail trail.

Here's the map:
Hamilton%20RT.jpg

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43869799/Hamilton RT.jpg

It also sets up a direct connection to the Hamilton Airport quite nicely, which could really be a boost for the airport in giving in alternative option for a lot of travellers.

Thoughts?

Former Mayor Bratina once proposed the former mountain-climbing rail route be used for an LRT line to the East Mountain, and Hamiltonians did not approve.
This is now a very popular recreational multi-use path called The Rail Trail.

Former Mayor Bratina once proposed the former mountain-climbing rail route be used for an LRT line to the East Mountain, and Hamiltonians did not approve.
This is now a very popular recreational multi-use path called The Rail Trail.

Does that have to do with the Rail Trail, or the fact that it was LRT though? Hamiltonians (as a whole) are lukewarm about LRT, at best. A GO RER route that connects to Halton, Peel, and Toronto may be better received than a local LRT route.

I'm not saying you aren't making a valid point, I'm just saying we need to evaluate the rationale behind the opposition: Was it route-based, technology-based, or champion-based (didn't like the person who was proposing it)?

I doubt Hamiltonians will be too bothered by new transportation infrastructure interfering with recreational facilities judging from the way they had a freeway built in the Red Hill Vallley recently.

Although I guess LRT and freeway are different. If it was a freeway to replace the Rail Trail it would definitely have lots of support. Anything transit-related is questionable. Hamilton just doesn't care about transit.

London has just announced it's SWIFT rapid transit plan. They are yet are unsure if it will be BRT or LRT but the mayor who is a major backer and very eager to get started on the 2 'L" shaped routes will be looking for mega bucks.

I can't wait to see how Wynne is going to be able to explain to Londoners why they have to pay a third of the cost of their system while Hamilton gets 100% funding. This despite the fact that Hamilton is already a new GO station, better GO service, is luke warm about LRT at best, the slowest growing ridership level of any major system in the province since 2000, lower total ridership than London despite serving many more people, and far lower per-capita ridership.

Earlier I looked at a map of our system with the B/D extension (Scarb Subway), and I had a fleeting idea of interlining the Phase 1 DRL with B/D. I'm sure it wouldn't work to create a diversion in the area of Pape/Danforth, considering the existing built environment. But I thought it was cool to see mapped. And if the DRL were to never be extended north of Danforth, I'd prefer this than keeping B/D as a crosstown line. For fun:

TTC-map_May-2015_DRL-BD-interline_no-smarttrack.png

Attachments

• TTC-map_May-2015_DRL-BD-interline_no-smarttrack.png
    TTC-map_May-2015_DRL-BD-interline_no-smarttrack.png
    136.2 KB · Views: 2,148
No doubt. Although I never liked the idea of a DMLRT as a non-grade separate, subpar replacement for a DRL North. Or as a standalone line. But what I would like to see is an extension of the legacy streetcar network north of Danforth. Perhaps with the 504/505 being extended up Broadview, split along Mortimer or Cosburn, then up to the Thorncliffe area. As well, if a steetcar could be brought up Woodbine or Coxwell, then along O'Connor to Vic Park, that'd be beneficial. The service probably wouldn't be much faster than the buses that exist now, but it would allow for upzoning and intensification. And if compounded with a realigned RH RER, I think this area of the City would be set for the future.

But since it's been noted by others that the TTC no longer builds streetcar lines for in-traffic operation, this is mostly wishful thinking.

This article A Summary of the TTC's Report on the Opportunities for New Streetcar Routes talks about the report re: potential extensions to our streetcar network, which in a way laid the groundwork for Transit City.

Sounds like it would be repeating Melbourne's mess with excessively long streetcar lines.

Since we are in the Fantasy Thread after all I guess I will divulge my own vision for handling this situation:

Create a second SmartTrack line on a re-aligned Richmond Hill corridor following roughly DRL North routing. Have SmartTrack trains from both Stouffville and Richmond Hill enter the downtown tunnel (your bona fide DRL) and GO (RER or diesal) trains continue to Union. The Richmond Hill re-alignment will emerge from a Don Mills tunnel to interline with the Richmond Hill corridor north of Lawrence.

I think the first thing needed to be figured out is why downtown is so desirable. I can't think of any reason why the Blue Jays and Leafs can't play in Scarborough instead (they are going to lose anyway. :) ).

No doubt. Although I never liked the idea of a DMLRT as a non-grade separate, subpar replacement for a DRL North. Or as a standalone line. But what I would like to see is an extension of the legacy streetcar network north of Danforth. Perhaps with the 504/505 being extended up Broadview, split along Mortimer or Cosburn, then up to the Thorncliffe area. As well, if a steetcar could be brought up Woodbine or Coxwell, then along O'Connor to Vic Park, that'd be beneficial. The service probably wouldn't be much faster than the buses that exist now, but it would allow for upzoning and intensification. And if compounded with a realigned RH RER, I think this area of the City would be set for the future.

But since it's been noted by others that the TTC no longer builds streetcar lines for in-traffic operation, this is mostly wishful thinking.

This article A Summary of the TTC's Report on the Opportunities for New Streetcar Routes talks about the report re: potential extensions to our streetcar network, which in a way laid the groundwork for Transit City.

Well, the idea behind transit city was converting the busiest bus routes to ROW-rail, even if there was no pre-existing track. There are a couple extensions of the legacy network that I'd really like to see, and that I've seen on a few fantasy maps:

1) 509 Harbourfront - ROW operation - The WWLRT extension of the harbourfront streetcar is the most likely to actually be built. This has good transport value. However, I think it would be more useful if it were built along Fort York and made part of the Bremner "LRT" instead of following the existing Queens Quay, especially given the issues with the light through-put at Fleet (which the TTC has noted and suggested).
2) 512 St. Clair - ROW operation - a St. Clair West streetcar extension is on the books for an extension at least to Jane, but I'd like to see it continued along Dundas to reach Kipling station. An EA was done for this. This would help continue the redevelopment of Stockyards further west. There is limited transport value in this, but given the 6-points redevelopment and all the retail and development at Islington and along dundas, this would be help support TOD and intensification.
3) 505 Dundas - Mixed traffic - A Dundas streetcar northern extension through the Junction to reach St. Clair - The Dundas streetcar used to reach this far north. This would support all the trendy new development in the Junction, and would allow operational flexibility (and significantly reduce deadheading) for the St. Clair streetcar line. The only caveat is that the Junction bus that this replaces isn't the busiest.
4) 29 Dufferin - Mixed traffic - I've seen this on fantasy maps, where the TTC's busiest bus route is replaced with a streetcar running from the Eglinton LRT's dufferin station down to Bloor and then through to downtown. This would fix the issue of forcing dufferin bus users to switch modes at bloor. Although still in mixed-traffic, this would be an improvement in comfort and capacity for what is currently one of the TTC's busiest and most uncomfortable routes.
5) 80 Queensway - ROW operation - This is a bit of a fantasy, but given how the Queensway has been identified in the Official Plan as a transport corridor, and as an Avenue meant for mid-rise development, it makes sense that it would have higher order transit to service it. Some ROW track already exists on the Queensway, continuing along all the way to Sherway gardens would support intensification and would create TOD in what I believe is one of Toronto's next big development corridors. This proposal would do better if it could connect to a DRL station around exhibition. This proposal is more axed around development than a transport need (leading rather than lagging development), given how little ridership the (admittedly infrequent) 80 bus has.
6) 65 Parliament - Mixed traffic - Changing this bus to a streetcar would require the least amount of track of any proposal. It could also connect to a DRL station.
7) 63 Ossington - Mixed traffic - Replacing this with a streetcar would require very little track, and the platform could easily be modified to handle streetcars.
8) 502 Kingston road - Mixed traffic - I'd like to see this brought up Victoria Park Avenue to the Danforth subway instead of terminating at Bingham loop

Last edited:
I think the first thing needed to be figured out is why downtown is so desirable. I can't think of any reason why the Blue Jays and Leafs can't play in Scarborough instead (they are going to lose anyway. :) ).
Transit accessibility. You can't handle 50,000 people with highways without a lot of work - look at the issues around the Corel Centre (or whatever it's called this week) in Ottawa.

And besides ... who wants to have to drive to such an event most of the time. Look at the alcohol consumption!

Back