News   Jul 17, 2024
 356     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 780     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1K     2 

Transit Fantasy Maps

I think any electrification on Richmond Hill will wait until they determine whether or not they need to raise the southern section of the tracks out of the flood plain, and perhaps do that in conjunction with skipping it onto the Don Branch, routing it up Leaside and then maybe underground past Don Mills to punch it out south of Oriole (my blue-sky routing).

Any electrification on Milton is contingent on CPR, and whether Metrolinx wants to invest in upgrading infrastructure that it doesn't own or have power to expand.

I think any electrification on Richmond Hill will wait until they determine whether or not they need to raise the southern section of the tracks out of the flood plain, and perhaps do that in conjunction with skipping it onto the Don Branch, routing it up Leaside and then maybe underground past Don Mills to punch it out south of Oriole (my blue-sky routing).

Any electrification on Milton is contingent on CPR, and whether Metrolinx wants to invest in upgrading infrastructure that it doesn't own or have power to expand.

I think the electrification of the Richmond Hill corridor is primarily dependent on the results of Metrolinx' and the TTC's Downtown transit studies (specifically, the DRL). The solution that is chosen there could have a big impact on the Richmond Hill line.

I think the electrification of the Richmond Hill corridor is primarily dependent on the results of Metrolinx' and the TTC's Downtown transit studies (specifically, the DRL). The solution that is chosen there could have a big impact on the Richmond Hill line.

Quick Q - does any freight trains use the southern, Don Valley leg of the Richmond Hill Corridor? If the choice is to realign the route as part of DRL, perhaps there is potential to return that stretch to parkland...

AoD

Quick Q - does any freight trains use the southern, Don Valley leg of the Richmond Hill Corridor? If the choice is to realign the route as part of DRL, perhaps there is potential to return that stretch to parkland...

AoD

AFAIK, it's just VIA. It may be worth it to keep that corridor intact though, and use the southern end for a combination of express trains and VIA trains. Heading southbound, you can have the line split just north of Lawrence, with the GO RER services running into a tunnel under Don Mills, and the other services continuing along the current alignment. The 2nd reason for that diversion is because it's unlikely the tunnel will be built to allow diesel trains in it.

My new rapid transit map is just about done. I hope you like it :)

P2XgjYW.png

Full sized image

The map is designed to fit in the TTC's 70 x 11.5 inch advertising spot above the doors on the T1. It's occupies the same size as the current system map.

It goes without saying that this is NOT to scale. Longitudinally, it has a scale of approximately 1.9 inches per km. There is no vertical scale; stations were placed to best accommodate the lines and the constrained vertical dimension of the map. Notice that stations are aligned with each other.

There are 9 lines and 166 stations (20 interchange) on the map. The stations on 9 Downtown Line (Relief Line) are hypothetical, based on station positions in the DTRES. Additional stations were added to 8 Crossrail Line (SmartTrack) at Bathurst, Royal York, Islington and Martin Grove and Scarborough Station was renamed to Linden.

Eglinton-University is supposed to be Eglinton-Allen. My bad.

The design is based on the TTC's new wayfinding standards

Attachments

• P2XgjYW.png
    P2XgjYW.png
    661.5 KB · Views: 2,049
Last edited:

View attachment 45790

Full sized image

The map is designed to fit in the TTC's 70.5 x 11 inch advertising spot above the doors on the T1. It's occupies the same size as the current system map.

It goes without saying that this is NOT to scale. Longitudinally, it has a scale of approximately 1.9 inches per km. There is no vertical scale; stations were placed to best accommodate the lines and the constrained vertical dimension of the map. Notice that stations are aligned with each other.

There are 9 lines and 166 stations (20 interchange) on the map. The stations on 9 Downtown Line (Relief Line) are hypothetical, based on station positions in the DTRES. Additional stations were added to 8 Crossrail Line (SmartTrack) at Bathurst, Royal York, Islington and Martin Grove and Scarborough Station was renamed to Linden.

Beautiful map. Very cleanly done. Sorry if you've answered this before, but what did you make it with?

I see that you've left out the Bloor-Danforth extension and put in the SMLRT. Is that because of the template you were working from, or because of your belief in the eventual demise of the subway extension? I also approve that the TYSSE ends in "Vaughn Centre" instead of "Vaughn Metropolitan Centre" and that "Pioneer Village" is still called "Steeles West", but I think that's because you're working from an old template.

As a map, this is nice. As a set of transit proposals, I really hope this isn't what gets built. SmartTrack is a stupidly expensive linear transfer on Eglinton west that still doesn't even reach the airport. The DRL is a squib that functions as a shuttle from Pape to the CBD with almost no infill stations. The Scarborough-Malvern LRT is redundant to SmartTrack in portions (where I'm not sure there is room for them to physically coexist), and isn't really useful for anything except as a quick shuttle from STC. There is another linear transfer at Don Mills and Sheppard that doesn't serve any purpose. If anything, it's a monument to how disjointed and broken the planning process is in Toronto.

If you're interested in ideas of turning the Lower Don Valley into a parkland system, this report is interesting. Some of the ideas are a bit out there, but it's cool knowing there is a lot of potential for improvements. Though I don't think they looked at removing the RH corridor.

http://dtah.com/project/lower-don-trail-master-plan/
http://www.evergreen.ca/downloads/pdfs/Lower_Don_Master_Plan_Final_2013-09-09.pdf

Great job! I remember you saying that you’d try making this map, but I thought you had given up. So I guess it can work to fit everything in there. This is in my opinion much better than the TTC's prototype subway map in the link you gave. Having said that, I still believe the TTC should cease using that narrow strip above the doors. 11 inches is just too small to show our N/S expanse, and the distortion is simply too excessive.

View attachment 45790

Full sized image

The map is designed to fit in the TTC's 70 x 11.5 inch advertising spot above the doors on the T1. It's occupies the same size as the current system map.

I really like it. This is exactly what would appear above the subway doors if all those lines were built. Good to know it all fits.

Very nice map! Especially considering the constraints of the canvas. The amount of distortion that needs to happen in order to have everything line up on a map like that is incredible.

Beautiful map. Very cleanly done. Sorry if you've answered this before, but what did you make it with?

I used Ortelius. Unfortunately, they only make software for Mac OS X.

Adobe Illustrator is also a great map making tool, but I do prefer Ortelius. Illustrator is a little too powerful for the job; it tends to get it my way a lot. Maybe I just need to learn it better.

I see that you've left out the Bloor-Danforth extension and put in the SMLRT. Is that because of the template you were working from, or because of your belief in the eventual demise of the subway extension?

I started by creating a map of the Scarborough rapid transit system that had a similar vertical dimension as the map I posted here. It included 2 Bloor-Danforth (Kennedy terminus), 3 Scarborough Line, Sheppard East LRT and the Scarborough Malvern LRT. After I made that, I realized that there should be enough space in the 11.7 x 70 inch ad space to include Toronto's entire rapid transit system.

I could've easily created a version with the Line 2 extension, but since this map was an exercise to see how many lines/stations I could fit into 11.7 x 70 inches, I decided to keep Line 3 since it would be more challenging to display on the map than the Line 2 extension.

I also approve that the TYSSE ends in "Vaughn Centre" instead of "Vaughn Metropolitan Centre" and that "Pioneer Village" is still called "Steeles West", but I think that's because you're working from an old template.

I wasn't working off a template. The naming of all the stations are intentional.

I used Ortelius. Unfortunately, they only make software for Mac OS X.

Adobe Illustrator is also a great map making tool, but I do prefer Ortelius. Illustrator is a little too powerful for the job; it tends to get it my way a lot. Maybe I just need to learn it better.

I use Ortelius as well. I find it's a great map-making tool. It has a bit of a learning curve, but once you get used to it it's pretty easy to use.

I really like it. This is exactly what would appear above the subway doors if all those lines were built. Good to know it all fits.

He did a good job fitting it all in but I hope that by then the TTC will have come to their senses and moved the system map to one of the poster slots instead.

Back